Home Forums Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Countdown Time on Leaderboards?

RSS Feed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raptur raptur 20 Mar 2017 @ 9:07pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DarkwingDiva
    DarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 23
    Replies: 205

So I was playing Countdown on Insane tonight, and thought it might be fun to show the time in the level on the leader boards next to the kill count. So if I lasted 30 sec, but got 10 kills, it would show the 30 sec and the 10 kills on the leader board. I understand leader board management can be a real pain, but having the time on them could help further distinguish Countdown from Infinite. Just a suggestion.

Darkhorse
    Darkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 115

I think time might be more relevant for Infinite. Countdown it’s always no more than five minutes so the score is the ultimate indicator of how well you did, whether you were out early or not.

ViciousFluid
    ViciousFluid
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 23

I think time might be more relevant for Infinite. Countdown it’s always no more than five minutes so the score is the ultimate indicator of how well you did, whether you were out early or not.

I second this, and it would be nice for Infinite mode. Or even maybe just on each individual players personal screen, so that only local save times are stored? Idk how all that works, but would be cool to see.

DarkwingDiva
    DarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer

Hmmm, maybe we should get rid of the kill score on Infinite all together and replace it with time lasted instead? Might be interesting?

LemurFromTheId
    LemurFromTheId
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 14

I have to say I kind of disagree with the idea of adding any additional information to the leaderboard screen.

You see, the goal in both challenge modes is to get as many kills as possible. That’s all. Everything else is irrelevant. The goal is not to kill as many robots as possible in as short time as possible, or keep your armor high while doing it, or to collect all the weapon drops, or anything else.

If you get N kills in five minutes (in Infinite mode) and another person gets N kills in ten minutes, you didn’t do any better than they did. You both got N kills, and that’s the only metric that matters.

Listing times along with the score would be like listing the number of corner kicks taken by each team alongside the final result of a football game: pointless. It’s only the result that matters – not how you reach that result.

As for replacing the goal itself with another, specifically with a goal of staying alive for as long as possible, well… I don’t think it’d be very interesting to watch players circle around the map avoiding all engagements with the robots.

That said, I’m all for adding new challenge variants, as long as the goals are something that naturally lead to interesting and fun gameplay. For example, maybe we could have a mode where your aim is to get 50 kills as fast as possible, and on death you respawn on low energy armed only with Impulse.

DarkwingDiva
    DarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer

You see, the goal in both challenge modes is to get as many kills as possible.

Only because it was made that way, maybe the dev team might find a different goal more interesting? It was just a suggestion.

If you get N kills in five minutes (in Infinite mode) and another person gets N kills in ten minutes, you didn’t do any better than they did. You both got N kills, and that’s the only metric that matters.

I disagree, given enough time, anyone can get any number of kills. If someone gets N kills in 5 min, but someone else takes 35 min to get N kills, are they really equal in skill? Kills only matter because that’s the way it is currently set up. I thought adding a time element would make it a little more interesting.

As for replacing the goal itself with another, specifically with a goal of staying alive for as long as possible, well… I don’t think it’d be very interesting to watch players circle around the map avoiding all engagements with the robots.

Yeah having players just avoid fighting the bots is something I hadn’t thought of. That would make listing it by time by itself meaningless. I still like the idea of having a different goal for each variant of Challenge Mode. If each one is only about kills, then you would tend to have overlap and less reason to play other variants imo.

Profile photo of raptur
    raptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 50

I agree with Lemur that each mode should have just one clearly defined objective. I do think a mode where survival time is the objective could be interesting. For example, one random bot spawns every five seconds for the first two minutes, then every two seconds for the next two minutes, and so on. Or, you steadily lose armor over time even without being hit, but every bot is guaranteed to provide an armor orb when you kill it.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: Insane Unlock Screenshots Next Topic: Autoselect glitching out when out of ammo