The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Bug Reports and Questions 3-axis flightstick, the selection wheel, and turn speed.

RSS Feed
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bakedpotato486bakedpotato486
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

I’ve been playing 6DoF games with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with roll, pitch, and yaw mapped to X, Y, and Z respectively. It’s really fun maneuvering about with this setup, but not as competitive as the mouse.

Now, in the main menus, the X and Y axes navigate just fine, but in-game the weapon/missile/holo-guide selection wheels are using the Y and Z axes. I assume this is because the selection wheels are mapped to the pitch and turn functions and the menus are mapped to the X/Y axes, as mapping turn to the X axis fixes this. Can’t maneuver out of a wet paper bag, though.

If the selection wheel could be mapped to the X/Y axes like the menus, or provide the player the option to map the selection wheel input axes, that’d be great!

Next, the Joy/Key turn speed option. This currently affects only yaw, but I feel as though it should also affect roll and pitch. Maybe a separate option for the rest, and an exponential setting too?

As it is, I can only imagine mousers stomping all over anybody with a joystick online or on the leaderboards. Heck, I doubled my own (albeit early) CM score with the mouse. It almost feels like cheating.

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 59

I’m not tooooo far behind on the leaderboards xD. Playing dual joysticks.

Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 23

There’s another thread about the joystick vs mouse differences probably, but I’d say that with joystick you can get high on the leaderboards. Currently I’m using the same joystick as you and I’m within top 10 in just about all of the maps on ace/insane. Haven’t really tried to improve my scores, but I think those could be significantly higher. Would say that there are pros and cons for both of the control schemes, mainly what I think is the mouse’s advantage is the preciseness and faster turn speed. On the other hand I find joystick better in overall manouvering of the ship and also I really don’t want to fly with a mouse. Joystick just feels better and more natural when it comes to 6dof.

I’ve actually been wanting an slider option to be able to affect the maximum turning speed of the player ship for joystick to play with. Maximum of course would be the same speed that you can reach with mouse. Though I’m not quite sure whether I would want to use it faster than it currently is, but it would be nice to be able to test whether I would. If not, I would just use the current speed.

On the other things you mentioned. Navigating with joystick is not really the best possible experience. I’ve been avoiding that completely as it feels somewhat cumbersome and mainly slow. In CM the slowness is not that big of a problem, but in future MP it would be. Instead I rely on the short keys on keyboard for example for the weapons as I cannot really map those in my joystick without ruining its setup.

And one more notice. I think at least when it comes to Descent 3, I think many of the best players actually used joystick in online games. Used to play that on PXO myself.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

While I think that the joystick vs. mouse concerns are legitimate, I’m also a dual-joystick player and in the top 10-15 for every map on Insane. I don’t even have the turning speed increased, I use Normal speed because I play better there.

I’ve said it before but I feel like mouse is better for aiming precision and joystick is better at maneuvering and flight. They each have advantages. That said, I do agree that both need to have access to the same maximum turn-rate as each other for fairness (even if I won’t use it myself).

As to weapon selection, I have my 2 hat switches bound as weapon hotkeys so that I can choose anything instantly without the weapon wheel at all.

bakedpotato486bakedpotato486
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

I didn’t mean to start a joystick vs. mouse discussion, my main point/bug report was the broken wheel select for joystick users.

In the main menus, the X and Y axes navigate just fine, but in-game the weapon/missile/holo-guide selection wheels are using the Y and Z axes. I assume this is because the selection wheels are mapped to the pitch and turn functions and the menus are mapped to the X/Y axes, as mapping turn to the X axis fixes this.

Does anyone else have this issue? I’ve already set the joystick defaults to enforce joystick navigation through the main menus, which work fine.

That’s the main bug report, and the joystick pitch/roll speed option was just a suggestion to coincide with the joy/key turn speed option.

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 59

@bakedpotato486, I have my x as yaw and rotz as roll, so I do not have that issue (but I dont use the weapon wheel because it throws off my flight after selection). I would assume that you are correct in assuming that they are mapped by default to the pitch and yaw axes. I don’t see a way to change that configuration. Would be a good option for pilots like you that use in-atmosphere style layouts.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Thrifting Find Next Topic: Drop 6 update: Build 72