The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Great work on tidying everything.

I love the modification to the spreadfire. The inclusion of that fun new behavior for the gun right next to an “overdrive” power up in the single player level (I think it’s the first or fourth level, I can’t remember) is too clever and fun. You get the gun, try out its accelerating shot behavior and then you get overdrive and can tear up that hallway full of bots in record time. It’s a very fun toy.

All the particle touches are great. Reactor melt down. Escape sequence beauty. It’s really nothing but improvements this time.

Yet here comes a bit of whiny feedback. I do apologize.

I do miss the fireworks. I don’t usually play the game to get better, but to relax, escape, play gunner sneakthief against evil technology and enjoy some ambient graphics and sound. I wonder if we might be able to toggle an option, have a cheat code or do something else that brings back the robot piñata effect. I wasn’t bothered by my screen covered in pretty explosions and lights. I thought it was part of the immersion and a fun challenge to see through the big pops. Even the way the player ship spawns now seems less “transporty”. We must accept these changes, I understand, but it would be fun to have the toggle available under the Advanced Graphics settings.

Sticky flares are a wonderful idea! The new menu effects are visceral and adds to the feeling of being in the cockpit before you are even in the game, which is smart and looks good. The credits look beautiful. I like the “pause” and “go faster” buttons a lot. Oh, and I’m thrilled to be in there now as a backer! WooohhoooO!!

The new implementation of the upgrades seems awesome. I am not sure who was asking about that but to me this is a really neat way of looking at it. This game is seeing a lot of TLC and it’s showing.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Yet here comes a bit of whiny feedback. I do apologize.

I do miss the fireworks. I don’t usually play the game to get better, but to relax, escape, play gunner sneakthief against evil technology and enjoy some ambient graphics and sound. I wonder if we might be able to toggle an option, have a cheat code or do something else that brings back the robot piñata effect. I wasn’t bothered by my screen covered in pretty explosions and lights. I thought it was part of the immersion and a fun challenge to see through the big pops. Even the way the player ship spawns now seems less “transporty”. We must accept these changes, I understand, but it would be fun to have the toggle available under the Advanced Graphics settings.

I wholeheartedly agree 100%. Sure, some of the new effects are a little prettier, but the robot explosions are less satisfying now.

Prepare for Overload…

nop
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

Little fire bubbles fx. Neat!
    15 uniform particles. Cute!
    Same thing for every bot. Debris fly aways barely visible. I like my puzzle game restrained and tasteful!

(I’m sorry but I can’t help it.)

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

I do miss the fireworks. I don’t usually play the game to get better, but to relax, escape, play gunner sneakthief against evil technology and enjoy some ambient graphics and sound. I wonder if we might be able to toggle an option, have a cheat code or do something else that brings back the robot piñata effect.

Have to say I agree with this, the explosions seem empty now compared to how satisfying they were before, killing bots feels a bit like popping balloons. Not really sure exactly what has changed. (Still think they are great, just not as great)

Also.. I love the new mine exit FX!

nop
    Participant

(Still think they are great, just not as great)

No, they are not great. They are killing the game. Killing robots is neither visual rewarding nor fun anymore. They should never have listened to the leaderboard glory hunters.

Every YouTube (first look) review mentions the (kind of) unique, (kind of) over-the-top explosions. The fireworks approach capitalized on the zero gravity, 360 degree nature of the game. It’s almost gone now and the remaining pre-104-build explosions look (kind of) lonely and out of place now.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

(Still think they are great, just not as great)

No, they are not great. They are killing the game. Killing robots is neither visual rewarding nor fun anymore. They should never have listened to the leaderboard glory hunters.

Every YouTube (first look) review mentions the (kind of) unique, (kind of) over-the-top explosions. The fireworks approach capitalized on the zero gravity, 360 degree nature of the game. It’s almost gone now and the remaining pre-104-build explosions look (kind of) lonely and out of place now.

Hmm. I am finding that I agree with you. I put this in the chat, but maybe I should have put it in this thread:

03:28
    bemosa

..must be hard keeping everyone happy!

05:47
    TwoCables

yeah I was kinda laughing a bit to myself about how they get all these complaints about the blinding explosions and now they’re getting all these complaints about the changes they made to satisfy those people.

05:47
    TwoCables

at some point, they just need to say “we’re going to do this the way we want and if you don’t like it, then that’s tough.”

05:48
    TwoCables

I mean, look at Descent 1 and 2 – that wasn’t assisted by the community as far as I know and they both turned out great.

05:48
    TwoCables

or FreeSpace 1 and 2

05:49
    TwoCables

I think when they just keep their heads down and just do what *they* want to do, we love every bit of it.

05:50
    TwoCables

I admit that I still trust the final release will satisfy just about 99% of us.

I get that they want to make all of us happy, but at the same time I do feel that the team has made lots of changes just because of things a select few have said. It’s almost becoming custom-tailored to suit those who are the most vocal about what they like and dislike on each release. Like I said, sometimes I wish the team would keep their heads down and just do what they want to do. I have to wonder now – do they prefer the robot explosions they had before they changed them? Would they have preferred to keep them they way *THEY* had them? Y’know? It’s not like the entire community was like, “yeah, these robot explosions are blinding and I’m tired of it”. If anything, I think most people didn’t have any problem with them and as you noted, that was one of the selling points of this game (and some of the screenshots are proof of that).

Don’t get me wrong, I think they did a great job on the robot explosions. They do a much better job than most game developers with everything they do. However, I’m not exactly sold on these new robot explosion effects yet. Sure, they don’t really *bother* me and in one way they’re nicer because now robots don’t take “forever” to die. However, I can agree that it’s less satisfying to destroy a robot now. I’m torn – but I’m sure it’s going to stay this way and I’m sure I’ll get used to it and I’m sure I’ll come to love it and prefer it, but still. I think there really wasn’t a problem with the previous robot explosions.

Prepare for Overload…

maniak1349maniak1349
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 18

I’m pretty sure Scott have said in chat that main reason behind explosion changes was performance aspect. But I do agree that that they look much less impressive and satisfying now. And about visibility – personally neither do I find explosions much easier to see through in the new build nor do I believe that they should be – the fact that you need to deal with explosion visibility issues on your own adds quite a lot of fun to the game.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Replies: 115

Thanks for the feedback. The explosions were optimized, and the primary goal with reducing the explosion effects was to drastically reduce the amount of medium to dark gray smoke. I looked at some older builds and the core of the explosion was definitely reduced too much, so I just increased the amount of stuff (basically everything) in the final explosion so there’s more of a payoff when the bot explodes.

The visibility issue we wanted to address was the smoke trails (particularly on robots that died with a delay). The core explosion is much more on par with the previous version now.

FYI: Particle optimization had much more to do with using fewer materials (and combining textures into spritesheets) rather than reducing the amount of stuff on-screen.

If you notice any other effects that seem too dinky, just let us know (pretty much every effect was updated, including all weapons).

I’m not sure we’ll be doing a minor update to this build, but either way, you’ll get these changes in Drop 9.

Luke

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

These guys are amazing aren’t they? I personally really like the new effects. I think they look more believable and prettier, but it’s true that they are less viscerally satisfying.

Oddly, I never had visibility problems with the old builds and I find the new explosions harder to read. I find that now I’m having trouble telling when I’ve made a kill, so I’m glad to hear that they’re getting increased again. I think a bit more of a fireball would be great, but as I say I like the new look.

On a side note, I love the sparking and smoking effect that bot have now when they are damaged. It looks awesome and helps me with decision making during battle.

maniak1349maniak1349
    Participant
    Replies: 18

Some random things about new build:

During that new brief haze animation of the main menu on startup you already can press menu buttons but can’t see them – that feels counterintuitive to me. I think it either should block the controls for the duration of animation (it’s not that long anyway) or should be skippable with a click.

Really like new Cyclone and Crusher. Can’t say jut yet for sure about their balance in shadow of those difficulty changes, but I sure do love the way they work now. Flak feels somehow better too even if I can’t tell what exactly was changed (or is it just me getting better with it?). Still think that Impulse should be spiced up a little. Or maybe even a lot. (All these weapon impressions are from the CM/Insane viewpoint.)

Selectable CM Weapon Upgrades is a great change, but I think that it’s much better to allow player to decide on upgrades before the run because selecting upgrades mid-battle is quite distracting. Something like a configuration menu where you can select desired upgrades for each weapon or choose to have a random one. For the system that’s already in game right now – I think upgrade notification messages are way to out of focus, it requires too much attention to see what you’ve got and not to miss the upgrade completely.

Sticky Flares are quite a useful addition, but isn’t 15 minutes for 0.5 energy a little too much? It makes them 30 times more energy efficient then regular ones. Also you can still fire flares even if you have no energy left. (Same goes for headlights, so not sure if its a bug)

P.S.: Sure is bright in here!

nop
    Participant

Judging by the enhanced explosions in the multiplayer trailer I don’t think the core problem was actually addressed.

The density, scale, length, randomness, fidelity etc. of the new explosions won’t matter much as long as the base is still bubbly, glittery, sparkly, firefly-ly fire. Because I still associate them to this:
    Sparkler

And I used to associate the old explosions to this:
    Challenger

The large, bright, white tail of the exhaust/debris might look slightly clunky but the raw, violent energy is awesome.

I know/see a lot of effort went into the environment/color theme but trying to apply the same prettiness to the explosions (especially large debris) doesn’t work for me at all. Because the game essentially becomes this:
    Doom2016?

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 185

Just tried the latest build, been away for a while so I really noticed a dramatic improvement in the overall polish. Framerate for me now is a rock-solid 60. I wasn’t sure about the new explosions at first, but they have grown on me. I do like the glittering effects as they imply burning sparks of metal, but I’ll admit I miss some of the slower, smokier death spirals from earlier versions. Maybe there will be another notch in the settings menu for explosion density. 😉 I love the bot geometry that flies off as you shoot them.

The whole game feels much faster than Descent ever did. I like this, although I hope there are some slower / stealthier moments too. I still haven’t seen a reactor explosion because for some reason my skills have evaporated and I can’t even beat level 2 on Hotshot, although the difficulty feels great.

Request: could you add a progress bar to the “Teleporting to <LEVEL>” screen, because at first I thought the game had locked up when teleporting to Tarvos. We don’t all have SSD drives yet!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Yes it's an Honest to Goodness Lefty Sidewinder! Next Topic: The Dig