The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Multiplayer A few questions about MP

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

If one of the devs is bored (unlikely) and wants to hype up multiplayer a little bit… I have a few burning questions about plans for multiplayer, a few of which are probably on the minds of a few fans:

1. Will multiplayer have its own map selection, and will some Challenge Mode maps make it into the MP suite?
    2. Besides basic deathmatch, are any additional modes planned (such as team modes and CTF)? If so, will special maps be designed around these modes?
    3. Challenge Mode contains XP-based unlocks and customizable loadouts – will the Multiplayer also have similar XP unlocks and loadouts (this is a really loaded question, I’m aware)?
    4. Will there be a working server list so players can create, host, and organize games more easily?
    5. Will there be AI bots (Not robots, but, ya know, Unreal-style bots) to play against solo or when the player number dips below a minimum?
    6. Will there be a co-operative mode for the singleplayer campaign, or a multiplayer version of challenge mode?

I don’t expect all of these will be answered, but I’m sure many of us would like to know what to expect going into MP. I have full faith that the finished product will be worth the wait, regardless. 🙂

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

5. Will there be AI bots (Not robots, but, ya know, Unreal-style bots) to play against solo or when the player number dips below a minimum?
    6. Will there be a co-operative mode for the singleplayer campaign, or a multiplayer version of challenge mode?

ooh pretty please these two things

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

We’re still working on MP, but I think I can answer most of these:

1. Most of the MP levels will be based on CM levels (amount of customization for MP TBD). It’ll probably be less than 10 levels total.

2. Anarchy and Team Anarchy are the only definites. There may be a 3rd mode, which may involve custom levels (or at least customizing the levels to make them work).

3. Yes, there are XP-based unlocks, but they generally give you more options, not more power. We have systems in place, but haven’t done enough testing/playing to say whether we’re keeping what we have.

4. No, no server list planned. Matchmaking will most closely resemble Rocket League (matchmaking with playlists, and private matches).

5. No. Sorry.

6. No. I know everyone likes to mention how much they want this, but it’s a huge amount of work when the game wasn’t built with it in mind. Not even Doom 2016, which is one of the games we’re inspired by in terms of structure/nostalgia/etc, had co-op in any form. Our team is a very tiny fraction of Doom 2016’s team (seriously, look at this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/doom___/credits — Revival has 7 full-time developers, plus 5 full-time testers, and a bunch of part-time people).

The overall goal with MP is to focus on a very solid but small core feature set. If the game is successful, we’ll be happy to expand MP with more features/modes/levels/etc.

Luke

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Luke!

I figured there would be a focus primarily on Anarchy and Team Anarchy. I knew co-op would be a huge stretch, but as my dad says: “Ask, because the worst thing that can happen is that someone tells you no.” 🙂

The only thing I am a little bummed about is the lack of bots, although I recognize that’s kinda what CM is for, so there’s some overlap.

All that said, plain old Anarchy is good with me. There’s a reason why D1-D3 still have games of anarchy organized daily. 🙂

dues
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

Please say the third mode is CTF. Just mirror the CM maps, glue em together, stick a red box and a blue box in the farthest point. Done.
    Yes I know it may be a little more complicated than this.
    Game is looking great so far. TY.

zero
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 19

I hope we aleast get CTF. Aside from enjoying it my self, CTF allows players who aren’t necessarily good at head to head combat, to play a role on their team thats not based so much on kill/death ratios but instead of scoring points for their team. I think it will give people more incentive to play multiplayer.

stratvox
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 3

2. Anarchy and Team Anarchy are the only definites. There may be a 3rd mode, which may involve custom levels (or at least customizing the levels to make them work).

No robo-anarchy? That’s disappointing; that was my favourite MP mode back in the old days when playing D1 and D2 on a lan. Robo-anarchy on insane on D1L10 was pretty much the best.

dues
    Participant

Zero makes a good point. CTF certainly has a way of bringing all levels of skill together. There’s always Breakout too. That was a cool mod that showed up late in D3. Breakout would be a bit more intensive to make i’d imagine, as well as learning how to play it.
    CTF rules are easy enough for anyone to jump in a game. It probably makes the most sense to include CTF.

readymanreadyman
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 22

Entropy is/was the greatest game mode of all time/all genres.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

Yes, I really hope there’s a MP mode for those who aren’t top echelon players, CTF and robo-anarchy were both great fun for pretty much anyone. Getting stomped repeatedly in anarchy, and getting blamed for the team losing in team anarchy, aren’t quite so much fun these days. Actually, I used to be pretty good back in the day, but this is decidedly not back in the day!

dues
    Participant

Entropy was a blast when there were enough ppl working as a team. Butt puckering intensity for sure. It may have been slightly too complicated for casuals tho. Some of those steel vapor games were nice, and even domes when it was playable after several years of pc growth.
    But I gotta say Veins and Halcyon were some great times. CTF is casual enuff and still extremely intense.

readymanreadyman
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 22

MonsterBall was fun, and Hoard was definitely amazingly fun!

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

I echo the thoughts about CTF. It’s a great mode to casually enter and enjoy a game without having to concern yourself with intense dogfights and skill-based face offs. I used to be a competitive player and could match up with some of the best – but these days, after years and years of rust, I just don’t have the time to sit down and re-learn all those old tricks for playing at a competitive level.

For the initial release it makes sense that there’d only be a couple of game modes. The team have to keep it within their budget and time constraints. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a possibility of other modes/levels appearing later – that is something the community probably has control of by helping to making Overload a success 🙂

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

+1 for CTF 😀

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Another +1 for CTF and if y’all really want to bandwagon I think a rounds-based 8-pilot battle royale mode could be cool (no respawns, 200 shield and all primaries start, first to win out two or three times wins the game)

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: 0.9 Build 117 Bugs Next Topic: 0.9 Build 117 Graphics Bugs