The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback A HUD indication to know whether we have used the most recently picked-up key?

RSS Feed
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Right now, I’m feeling a little out of it and I forgot whether I used the most recently picked-up security key yet (I forgot whether I need to be looking for the next key or the door for the key I currently have). Can you have the HUD indicator for the security key change to show whether the key has been used yet?

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Hmmm… You realize in a level like Phoebe it wouldn’t be as simple as that though.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Well obviously not because if I had realized it then I would’ve been like, “Oh, I guess I shouldn’t make this thread”

Insert funny friendly-ribbing raspberry mouth sound here.

Prepare for Overload…

YinutYinut
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 55

I really wish the keys were coloured like they were in the previous games, would help with the visual clarity. It hasn’t really been a big problem for me, since the levels have been fairly linear.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I really wish the keys were coloured like they were in the previous games, would help with the visual clarity. It hasn’t really been a big problem for me, since the levels have been fairly linear.

With the numbered system, they can have as many security doors in a level as they want. There’s no limit due to a limit of how many colors you can use.

HOWEVER, I have to admit, if it were the Blue, Yellow, and Red key system, then I wouldn’t have made this thread because I wouldn’t have been confused. It’s too late now though; they are done making changes like this.

Prepare for Overload…

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

The different colored/’have I used it’ indicators wouldn’t really make sense with how we use keys in the game. There are multiple instances where you need 2 keys from the same ‘area’ before proceeding*, and some levels unlock multiple doors**. The keys in Overlaod are about ‘clearance level’, as opposed to ‘this particular door is now accessible’. They should be properly showing up on your automap, though (and just looking at it red -> blue).

* For example, you need 2 keys in Mission 4/Phoebe Refinery before you can get past the first Security door.

** For example, the first Security Key unlocks 2 security door is Mission 3/Skoll.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

The different colored/’have I used it’ indicators wouldn’t really make sense with how we use keys in the game. There are multiple instances where you need 2 keys from the same ‘area’ before proceeding*, and some levels unlock multiple doors**. The keys in Overlaod are about ‘clearance level’, as opposed to ‘this particular door is now accessible’. They should be properly showing up on your automap, though (and just looking at it red -> blue).

* For example, you need 2 keys in Mission 4/Phoebe Refinery before you can get past the first Security door.

** For example, the first Security Key unlocks 2 security door is Mission 3/Skoll.

Hang on though: it was about clearance level in Descent too. Blue clearance level, Yellow clearance level, Red clearance level. The next level wasn’t always reached via 1 door of that color. Sometimes there were 2 or 3 doors of that color to choose from before proceeding.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Sometimes they wouldn’t take you to the same area though. There were a couple of times where a coloured door was just “extra”.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

DiamondWolf
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 57

Why couldn’t a security door be colored yellow when you have access but haven’t used it yet? As soon as you pass through it changes to blue. In places like Phoebe only having one key when two are required leaves the door red and locked.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Why couldn’t a security door be colored yellow when you have access but haven’t used it yet? As soon as you pass through it changes to blue. In places like Phoebe only having one key when two are required leaves the door red and locked.

I think that would be more confusing and unnecessary since the signage is only on one side of the door. It’s very simple and straight-forward as-is. All I was looking for is a way to know from the HUD whether I should be looking for the next key or trying to find the next security door (or make my way to it if I already know where it is).

It’s like when grabbing one of the keys in Descent. Let’s say for the sake of argument you grab the blue key and you somehow get sidetracked and you never make your way through any of the blue doors. Let’s say it’s been a long time since you grabbed the key and you look at your HUD and reach the conclusion that you should be looking for the yellow key because obviously you should’ve gone through a blue door by now since it’s been a very long time since you grabbed the key. So, you go on a futile search for the yellow key because you still need to enter one of the blue doors! If the HUD were to tell you whether you used the key, you would never go on that futile search for the next key.

This has happened to me more times than I’d like to admit, and it just happened to me in Overload. Granted, this isn’t a major problem, but it’s annoying to get sidetracked and then forget whether I should be looking for the next key or the door I just unlocked. I realize that it becomes obvious because I’ll find one or the other and it’ll become obvious anyway, but still.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Level editor release date? Next Topic: Can't start Linux Early Access 0.9 Build 117