The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Other Games A new FreeSapce?

RSS Feed

This topic contains 47 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by foghorn2 foghorn2 09 Apr 2018 @ 3:05pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    defconx
    defconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Parallax/Outrage/Volition has at times been great at making you feel like you are actually playing the story rather than being told a story between levels. Freespace was a great format for that. A successor by the same crew would probably be beloved by its players.

MatthTheGeek
    MatthTheGeek
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

Let me just drop this out here: in the (pretty active) FS modding community, we’ve been following the Overload kickstarter with a lot of interest (and threw quite a bit of money at it in the process) and are extremely happy it made it through.

Descent and FreeSpace may be different games, in different universes and with different gameplay, but they have a lot in common and share the same heritage (I remember someone from the FS Open dev team saying there’s still bits of Descent code in the FSO codebase even two decades later).

It goes without saying that you have the support from a great many people in the FS community, whether you eventually decide or not to make a spiritual successor to FreeSpace. We have managed to keep FS alive through the years because it was a great game, a great universe, and because it left so many possibilities for the community to build upon – but we have not forgotten where we come from, and I know you haven’t forgotten us either.

A special thanks to Dan Wentz, who came to us in march 2012 and dropped a nice amount of remasters/remixes of FS1/FS2 soundtracks (check it out!). And a great thanks to Revival Productions as a whole : you guys are the best. You have birthed amazing games that people have enjoyed throughout the ages – and still enjoy today, and the playable teaser for Overload proves you have lost nothing of your touch.

See you in Shivantown, folks.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

A new Freespace would be cool using today’s technology. You never know with a KS campaign again.

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 48

That was a great post, I will have to try Freespace whenever my game-funding is out of the red =P

MutoidMan
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 9

Part of the reason I backed Overload is the chance that if it is a success, you guys might do another FreeSpace!

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Just please keep in mind that it would only be a spiritual successor in the same way that Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent (D1 and D2, I’d say).

Prepare for Overload…

Enzo03
    Enzo03
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 10

From what I understand, the single player component “Squadron 42” is going to be like a Wing Commander game with a storyline rather than a space sandbox.

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Squadron 42 is simply the SP-only ‘version’ of Star Citizen.

Prepare for Overload…

MatthTheGeek
    MatthTheGeek
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 5

Given the general state and direction of development of Star Citizen (to not give it one of the more… colorful names I’ve read), I’d have more hope in pretty much any other alternative, however unlikely, to even produce something – let alone something good.

Just please keep in mind that it would only be a spiritual successor in the same way that Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent (D1 and D2, I’d say).

To be completely honest, there’s a significant part of the FS community that pretty much doesn’t want a FS sequel – not because they don’t like FS obviously, but because the open endedness of FS2 left the door open for dozens and dozens of fan-made campaigns growing in all directions and forms.

An official sequel would be sort of a poisonous gift: it would be extremely difficult to meet the fans’ expectations, and a lot of people think making a new space shooter in a new universe instead, would open more doors instead of closing them, metaphorically speaking. A spiritual successor is very much what we want to see.

MutoidMan
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 9

If it plays and feels like FreeSpace as much as Overload plays and feels like D1/D2, then I’ll put down another $250 towards that Kickstarter. Doesn’t need to be the same story, just a story told as well as FreeSpace is.

I absolutely love the single player experience of the FreeSpace series and would be very happy to experience it anew.

Example: I hunted down and destroyed that first Shivan fighter – which took a long time due to it’s shields – and when the debriefing made a point of saying how my actions showed that the Shivans weren’t invincible and boosted morale, I was blown away. I want more of that.

Fineus
    Fineus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 112

I dare say that everyone over at Hard Light Productions would not know what to do with themselves if you announced that project. Another FreeSpace? Yes please.

The only trouble is… a game like that really could use more story in its own universe. What were the Shivans up to? Why detonate a sun?

Fineus
    Fineus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 112

That’s right Enzo03, S42 is going to be a single player title in its own right.

From what I’ve gathered, it’s not necessary to play it in order to dive in to the PU (persistent universe), however if you do complete it then you may be able to enter the PU with certain advantages over someone who does not (a ship, in game money, something like that I imagine).

S42 will be a cutting edge single player space experience. Can’t wait.

deathwinger
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 25

I would love to see a Freespace style game from you guys. Something about it was just a step above the other space combat games I’ve played.

New stories lead to unlimited possibilities, so it’s not a problem if we never find out what happened after Freespace 2. Bring on a new game for us to fall in love with. 🙂

There is room for it as there are a lot of disappointed people in what other open space combat games these days have become.

Xelions
    Participant
    Replies: 2

Did we metion that Jason Scott, the write for FreeSpace 2, is the writer on Overload? Pretty cool!

I’ve always been interested in who’s contributed what ideas to the FreeSpace 1 and 2 stories. One day I’d like to see the drafts for the 2nd and what direction it took to get to where it did 🙂

I know you mentioned that whoever owns the rights was unlikely to license them reasonably, but I’d love to see the Shivans back and maybe us humans could be the relics that some civilization found..

ckid
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 1

Specking of Freespace, It was just ranked 1 for best space games by Rock Paper Shotgun.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Descent AMA Monday 2/15 at 1pm ET Next Topic: D1X-Retro