The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Other Games A new FreeSapce?

RSS Feed

This topic contains 47 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by foghorn2 foghorn2 09 Apr 2018 @ 3:05pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    sLLiK
    sLLiK
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 24

While I’m personally less interested in a spiritual successor to Freespace 1/2 than I am in Overload, I know a great many people are overwhelmingly smitten with that franchise, so I doubt it would do poorly or receive any less attention than Overload has. Most likely more, in fact.

However, there is in fact overlap with Star Citizen on a basic level. The Wing Commander games had episodic content, and Star Citizen does have plans for a single-player storyline in the same vein. Lots and lots of expensive voice acting has already been recorded for that purpose, so there will be ‘competition’ in the sense that both games are known for episodic, mission-based content with a conclusion. As much as many might claim that Star Citizen is the elephant in the room and there isn’t room in the market for a competitor at the present time, I’m sure anyone who’s followed the progress of that Kickstarter with any degree of objectivity could argue otherwise.

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

But Star Citizen is more or less what Freelancer should have been – or perhaps would have been if Chris had done the game today with all of this freedom.

Prepare for Overload…

MutoidMan
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 9

I couldn’t care less for Star Citizen. Bring on a FreeSpace successor!!!

DarkwingDiva
    DarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

The opening cinematic to Descent: Freespace literally left me in tears, I was so moved! Playing through the game left me feeling like I was a part of that universe, struggling against the Shivens to scrape any hope of survival. The cinematics talking about the ruins and thoughts of the long dead civilization moved me so much.

When Freespace 2 came out, I rushed out and bought it. When I started playing through the campaign and was thinking “this is pretty cool.” When the Shivens made their reappearance, my heart literally sank, and the mission where I saw the Colossus lose against the Sathanas I got a huge sense of hopelessness.

No other game series has hit me so emotionally, and it really has me excited for what you guys have in mind. The fact that you have the writer of Freespace 2 for Overload is amazing. It really seems like you’re bringing the story telling from Freespace and the “on your own deep in the mines” gut-wrenching gameplay of Descent into one game, and I couldn’t be happier with that. If you do ever end up doing a spiritual successor to Freespace, I’ll have no qualms about funding it as much as I have with Overload.

rms
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

Interplay is selling the Freespace and Descent IP right now!!! This is a massive opportunity for Revival to lock up an IP for their next game. Don’t let it pass by!

Zeether
    Zeether
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 12

I’d be down for a Freespace type game, I completed the first one and have yet to go on to the expansions and FS2…not to mention the myriad mods like Blue Planet.

And yeah, if you guys could get the IP that would be neat (although with the IP being bulk sale only…)

pipsqueak
    pipsqueak
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 10

Just picked up the game on steam. If it plays on a joystick, can anyone direct me to where I can figure out how to do that? I just can’t seem to get it.

New York City Rocks! Always has, Always will.

Pyro-GX
    Pyro-GX
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 24

Interplay is selling the Freespace and Descent IP right now!!! This is a massive opportunity for Revival to lock up an IP for their next game. Don’t let it pass by!

I believe (though I could be wrong) that Interplay is selling their IP as a bundle, not separately, so it’d be unlikely revival productions would be unable to purchase the descent+fs ip’s at any reasonable price.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

pipsquek,
    http://scp.indiegames.us/guides.php

http://www.fsoinstaller.com/

Update and install FS 2 with updated graphics.

If this is what you were looking for.

pipsqueak
    pipsqueak
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 10

Yup, just what I was looking for. Thanks Merlin.

New York City Rocks! Always has, Always will.

Azuvector
    Azuvector
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 71

I’m way late to this thread, but just thought I’d chime in. Freespace is easily the best space sim around. It’s probably second only to Wing Commander in being well-known, as well.

The plot was gripping and intense(It shared all sorts of similarities to Babylon 5… High praise for both Freespace and Babylon 5, imo.), the gameplay was solid and enjoyable, the mission editor was flexible, the technology progression was good(I remember encountering my first Shivan to this day, when I had no shields myself. That sort of “oh crap, I’m way outmatched” feeling is amazing, even if you get all determined and spend an hour chewing through the Shivan’s shields with your ML-16 just to prove to yourself you could do it.), the incorporation of capital ships was amazing for the time(and is still something lacking in similar game to this day) even if it was fairly poor in FS1 versus FS2(effectiveness-wise), the variety of missions was impressive, the progression from the Vasudans to the Shivens and beyond was well-executed and interesting, and just pretty much everything about Freespace was a Good Thing.

Revival, after Overload, if you pursue Freespace, be it a spiritual successor or a direct franchise continuation, you’re going to get a ton of support with it. Probably much larger than Overload gathered. Just make sure people know who you are and what you’re making if it doesn’t share the Freespace name.

Kryyss
    Kryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

Freespace (and its sequel) was one of the few games that I regret never having the skill to complete. It was a long time ago I will admit but I do have fond memories of those massive capitol ships. Given the capabilities of modern computers it would be fantastic to see a space-combat game which focuses less on visual fidelity and more on using the processing power available to create encounters that are truly massive in scale.

Shroudeye
    Shroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Aaah Freespace. I actually grabbed it in 2006, when I found out about the Freespace SCP. Enjoyed every moment of it.

“DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!” – EPIC.

slinkyw
    Participant
    Replies: 9

It really cannot come back because right now it wouldn’t be able to compete, just mainly on name alone and we all know games that market based on trademark alone do not do well…

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

It really cannot come back because right now it wouldn’t be able to compete, just mainly on name alone and we all know games that market based on trademark alone do not do well…

It would be a spiritual successor. That means it would have a new name and a new story set in a new universe.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Descent AMA Monday 2/15 at 1pm ET Next Topic: D1X-Retro