The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development About Multiplayer

RSS Feed
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

Sadly, when I was growing up, I never had the chance to partake in Descent’s online multiplayer. I’ve heard tons of pilots share fond memories of blasting each other to kingdom come in multiplayer, and having recently started to shake the cobwebs off of my competitive multiplayer spirit, I’m actually quite eager to see what Overload’s multiplayer has in store for us next fall. Only thing is, I know a lot of the people playing it will be old veterans who will probably eat me alive, so I’ve been looking for ways to sharpen my flying skills and maybe learn a thing or two so I’m not completely defenseless.

Do you guys have any suggestions on ways I could improve myself a bit? I know the simplest answer is to just play Descent 3 multiplayer, but the problem is that anyone still playing that game likely has hundreds or thousands of hours of play time under their belt. I can’t really learn much when I’m spending half my play time waiting to respawn, you know?

(Also, as a question to the devs, what kinds of modes do you have planned for multiplayer? I only ask because I’m not a huge fan of deathmatch, team or free for all, in arena shooters. They tend to get a little too chaotic for my liking)

SeaWyrm
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

My advice: Get Retro mod (https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/rebirthretro-installers/) and go on the Descent Rangers mumble channel (mumble://mumble.descentrangers.com:31393). Even if you don’t want to fight 1v1s on the ladder, there are always people there willing to play casual 1v1s or anarchy free-for-alls, and there’s even enough of a skill range that you won’t necessarily be hopelessly outmatched. Also, everyone there is pretty friendly.

They mostly play D1, but there are occasional D2 and D3 games, and no doubt you’ll find someone willing if you want to start up a game of something that isn’t D1.

ETA: http://www.descentchampions.org/new_player.php this page might also help you get set up. Though I think AFP’s installer covers at least some of that stuff for you.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

D1 and D2 play a lot more like Overload than D3 does, so I’d go with those. Rangers have a number of rookie pilots who could give you plenty to learn without completely overwhelming you. They occasionally hold game nights that are grouped by player experience as well.

sdfgeoffsdfgeoff
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 14

I’ll echo SeaWyrm here:
    Just jump onto the championship ladder feet first. Yes, you’ll lose your games 20-0 (like my only ever game against Mark392), but generally within a month or two of playing a couple times a week you’ll start making your way upwards. Swarthy joined only a month or two ago and he’s currently sitting in the 20’s.

We may be a scary lot, but we are a community who is pretty welcomming to new pilots, and offer advice, training, free fusion shots (if you can catch them) and are pretty lighthearted for something competitive, so come on in.

SeaWyrm
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

I’ve been on the ladder for about a year now, and at no point during that span would I ever feel ashamed of getting 0 against Mark392.
    I once got 2 whole kills on Jediluke. I’m proud of that. 😉

I think newcomers against bronze pilots might reasonably expect to go as high as ~5-20 during their first few games, depending on individuals and circumstances. The nice thing about those early days is that since you’re brand new, there’s no expectations to live up to – if you don’t get a lot of kills, no sweat, you’re still learning – and every kill you do get is a victory!
    You can also get in a few anarchy games beforehand to test the waters. What’s nice about those is that the larger number of players acts as something of an equalizer – even if you’re brand new, you can still catch the more experienced pilots when they’re distracted by someone else, or low on shields, or something like that. So you stand more of a chance than you would against them individually. 6-8 player games can get pretty wild and chaotic and overwhelming. 3-4 player games might be a good middle ground.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Submitting bug reports? Next Topic: Demo Escapades (bragging rights 101)