The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Single Player Campaign About the Stratalustar…

RSS Feed
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PumoPumo
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 27

What do you think about this final boss?

I found some opinions on the forums that say they feel the boss was to easy (and perhaps it’s true to certain exent).
    However, on my Hotshot play of the full campaign and on the latest patch version, I found the Stratalustar to be a bit ‘excesive’ in difficulty and a bit frustrating to deal with.

I enjoyed the game a LOT in Hotshot, is just that single enemy that I felt it was somewhat overpowered and not so enjoyable to play with.
    Just for that level (Vulpecular), I had to restart it again on lower difficulty to win against the boss, so I could advance to Ymirus (to raise the difficulty to Hotshot again as I like it).

I know I may not be the best player out there, unlike Darkwolf or Sirus or those players I consider experts, but I’ve always played Descent 1 & 2 on Hotshot (of course with bosses included) and never felt so frustrated as with the Stratalustar on Overload, I had to try to fight it with different approaches and strategies up to 30 (perhaps more) times, just to get killed again, and again, and again.. πŸ˜›

In my view, I think it’s not that the boss per se is too hard to beat (it may be even somewhat easy as some people say), I think that it’s the arena where you have to fight it that it’s not suited for that kind of boss.
    Too small in my opinion to deal with the several Vortex missiles he fires and the stupid kamikaze auto-ops he spawns around, and with no place to hide to make a better strategy.
    I like much better several Descent 2 boss arenas that were complex and excellent to develop a strategy to fight the enemies without frustration, and with lots of options to hide or to get special powerups. Here on the Stratalustar arena you just get a simple Overdrive.

So, what do you all think about this?

http://pumosoft.3d-get.de – Pumo Software official Website
    – Pumo Mines progress: 60%

iguana
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Did you use a copious amount of time bombs? They help a lot. I get the impression you’re supposed to use them for the final boss. Also upgrade them at least once so they stun nearby robots as well.

Most people complaining about the lack of difficulty are doing that.

ziqidelziqidel
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 9

I have just gotten up to that same final boss on Hotshot also so may have some advice. I started by saving that cloak and invulnerability from the bottom levels and trying to get into the arena as quickly as possible with them – it gave about 10 or 15 seconds of invulnerability at first, where I could go right up to its face.

I didn’t use time bombs, but I did use virtually everything I could (240 missile pods, novas, devastators to the face). Fortunately it pretty much all hit, and I actually killed it before the voice had even finished explaining that I was going to die. However, I can tell that it did have some pretty devastating weapons and teleportation, and missing can cause a big problem, so it can go either way.

Keep varying your tactics also – in this case I would say being hyper-aggressive and unloading the maximum destruction on it is what worked for me. It’s common to save the biggest missiles for the final boss.

The worst boss I have encountered is the Descent 3 Mercenary final boss, as I thought it was invulnerable except for its gun, but that’s another story.

PumoPumo
    Participant

Ok, it seems I missed some stuff out there.
    In which section of the level do you say there’s the Invul and Cloak exactly?

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Took me fourish tries on ace I think. One thing that could certainly help is a clearer explanation of what his vortex missiles do before you’re caught in them. Once I realized what the gravity wells were actually doing I figured out how to avoid them and I didn’t have too much trouble.
    A good number of the Sperion kamikaze bots can be taken out with a devastator or a nova (or even a hunter pair cause they can blow each other up)… I think the best strategy I found (although this was about midnight after a really busy day, so I can’t be completely sure! :P) was to save missiles in general for the kamikazes and use primary weapons for the actual boss. That lets you keep a good line of sight on him and avoid his attacks.
    Other thing is Sperion likes to scream like one of the D2 bosses when he’s starting to charge at you, if you listen for him you can often avoid him even if he’s behind you or out of sight. Shouldn’t be too hard for a musician! πŸ˜€

BTW Pumo, off-topic but did you ever get a chance to listen to that music track I sent you a while back with the reinterpreted bits of (I think it was) one of the KCX-F2 themes I did way back when?

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

ziqidelziqidel
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 9

Ok, it seems I missed some stuff out there.
    In which section of the level do you say there’s the Invul and Cloak exactly?

The cloak is in the place with the “last” of the 6 things you have to shoot with Thunderbolt or Lancer (forgot what the things are called just now). That is, the room sticking out of the lower inner circle. There are secret areas (illusion walls) either side at the end of that room and one of them has a cloaking device.

The invulnerability is in the centre of the very bottom part of the map (that actually describes its location perfectly, though it is under the floor there which is another illusion / secret area). It took me a few tries to get into the boss room from there quickly as I kept going the wrong way.

DiamondWolf
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 57

Of course, which power core is last depends on the order you take them in.

PumoPumo
    Participant

@Haunted Parrasp:
    TBH, I think I haven’t listened to the new version of your track, or at least don’t remember it. :C
    With so many things on my head since last year and lack of time, I think I may not even had the time to check your track, I’m very sorry for that!

Could you please send the link to listen it if possible?

– and back to topic:

According to the many suggestions and tactics all of you are saying, I think that perhaps one my failure is that I used and wasted many missiles during the previous alien levels, and I went somewhat short of them (i.e. I had around 50 missile pods instead of 240, and not that many time bombs :P)
    Also that Cloak and Invul may help me a lot!

Will soon play a second run of the campaign in the Cronus Frontier+ mode, let’s hope I improve my tactics this time!
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. πŸ™‚

a23857738
    Participant
    Replies: 5

I played on Ace and thought this boss, and all other bosses for that matter, were much too easy. Actually one of my few complaints about the game. The original Descent bosses felt much harder and more terrifying.

Lyranicus was where the game’s difficulty peaked IMO. I had to reload A LOT on that level.

JosheM
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 29

I too, thought the bosses were too easy (rookie through ace so far). The final one I felt was easiest perhaps because I found that I had such a vast arsenal going into it. For example, on hotshot I started saving super falcons through most of the last few levels and went into the boss with 124 falcon++mx. Just for fun I only fired that load and no primary. The battle was over before I ran out of falcons.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Thought on Multiplayer Balance Next Topic: Now I've had enough