The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Aspect ratio fix for Descent 3 1.5 patch

RSS Feed
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

If/when the 1.5 patch comes out for D3 in the future can you look into the Aspect ratio issue? When you specify an aspect like 16:9 (-aspect 1.78) or 21:9 (-aspect 2.3) along with -height and -width as descent3.exe parameters on the commandline what happens is you get the same horizontal view but the top and bottom get cut off which makes playing a big disadvantage with wide screen and especially ultra widescreen (which I have) monitors. In d2x the vertical view (fov) stays the same and you get extra fov on the left and right which is very helpful. I wanted to play D3 but I just can’t get myself to play it with black borders on the side or play with reduced vertical fov. Please consider it.

1up1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 82

I was using -aspect 1.78 (-width 1680 -height 1050) with D3 without any issues or black borders until the latest Nvidia Driver popped up a few days ago. Since I installed it, the -aspect function is not working anymore and I see small black borders now in the native resolution. Dunno what the heck that is but it seems the Nvivia Driver is overriding the application setting, even when the function is turned off.

I am going to install the older driver this evening again.

Nvidia GTX960

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

The aspect ratio worked, it just didn’t work to our benefit. It stretches the game area of the screen without a black border but it reduces the vertical FOV to make up for the wider sides which also makes the HUD get cut off at the top and bottom. If you get it working again, view the screen with aspect and without. What i see is that i do not get any more view-able game area to the left or right. The screen fills up without a black border but i just get any more FOV instead it reduces vertical FOV. I will attach some pics to show what i mean today sometime to show what i mean.

I haven’t tested d3 on the latest driver yet.

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

Without aspect ratio set the vertical FOV is increased which causes the top and bottom play area to be compressed which is very bad.

Commandline: “Descent 3.exe” -width 2560 -height 1080 -z32bit -framecap 60 -vsync -deadzone0 0.0 -deadzone1 0.0 -deadzone2 0.0 -launched -nointro -nooutragelogo -pilot StatiC -nomotionblur

Without aspect ratio

————————————————————————————————

With aspect ratio set to ultra widescreen (2.4) the top and bottom are stretched to make a correct aspect ratio but in doing so the top and bottom game area are reduced which is a big disadvantage. What should happen is the top and bottom game area should remain at the same FOV and the left and right FOV should be increased. Instead you lose FOV instead of increasing it with an ultra widescreen monitor.

Commandline: “Descent 3.exe” -width 2560 -aspect 2.4 -height 1080 -z32bit -framecap 60 -vsync -deadzone0 0.0 -deadzone1 0.0 -deadzone2 0.0 -launched -nointro -nooutragelogo -pilot StatiC -nomotionblur
    With -aspect 2.4

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

This is what it looks like without any -height, -width, or -aspect commandline parameters on an ultra widescreen monitor (it increased the verical top/bottom FOV compressing things in that direction. It similar to the first picture in my previous post except it goes to a 640×480 resolution.

Without -height, -width, or -aspect on an ultra widescreen montor.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Chatroom? Next Topic: First impression: yes please