The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Bots fight each other…

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mani-aXMani-aX
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

As the live stream was going we heard talk about the bots fighting each other. I think it would be cool, say for instance you can get a bot in between you and blades and then blades comes charging in and hits the other bot instead of you, causing a fight between the two. and this could technically domino quickly but its just an idea 🙂

thoughts?

darthkarkidarthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

They should definitely be able to damage each other. I don’t think every bot type should go rogue when something like that happens, but I think it would be a lot of fun to have a “crazy” bot that’ll just attack anything around it.

FineusFineus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 112

Agreed, but damage should be moderated. It’d be no fun if bots ended up destroying each other in tight corners simply because they were hell bent on firing at the player.

What if a big missile-toting mech fires on the player and wipes out all the melee robots around you? It’d get kind of silly – especially if you could agro the bots and then sit back and let them wipe each other out.

tueidj
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 64

It doesn’t really fit with the virus/rogue AI plot (an AI wouldn’t fight itself and the robots certainly don’t seem independent) but I guess there’s no guarantee they’ll stick with that story.

FineusFineus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 112

It doesn’t really fit with the virus/rogue AI plot (an AI wouldn’t fight itself and the robots certainly don’t seem independent) but I guess there’s no guarantee they’ll stick with that story.

AFAIK in the Descent books the mech are described as being self-aware and organised somewhat like a bee hive, with shared consciousness and the ability to orchestrate larger deployment decisions, but also individual decision making abilities.

That is to say a single mech could get scared, angry, inquisitive etc. – they develop some similarities with human emotions.

As you say the story might not use this same plot point but if it does, I’d like to image robots accidentally attacking each other in the haste of attacking – realising their mistake – and stopping in favour of going after the player instead. Maybe even apologising for the mistake as they struggle to deal with the new sensory input of their emotions. It’d be pretty awesome to see them freak out / behave almost erratically depending on stimulus around them.

Imagine a robot seeing you tear through others near it with powerful weapons and freezing up / fleeing – maybe even surrendering – in the hope you’ll spare it or it can escape your slaughter… …then have it run in to other powerful robots, only to turn and fight you again now that the tables have turned.

IonIon
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 27

The virus-modified AI in the books made SKYnet look like nothing more than a rabid dog with an inferiority complex.

punished blart on steam

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I think it should appear as though they are a little bit competitive with each other to kill you. Not ALL the time, just here and there. Perhaps they can appear to get angry with each other for brief moments.

Prepare for Overload…

callistocallisto
    Participant
    Replies: 10

It would be cool if there is a hierarki among the robots, so the more powerful acts as alpha and lesser robots are kept in check as long as the alpha is still alive. Killing the alpha creates diffusion of responsibility and more selfish actions within the pack. Imagine taking out Elites in Halo and creating confusion among the grunts and maybe some of them fleeing or backstabbing each other.

I don’t imagine the bots i Overload as stupid as the monsters in Doom that attacks way more powerful enemies head on.

wormaus
    Participant
    Replies: 7

I think it would be useful for the soryline, when the player have the chance, to desinfect one or two bots, who try to cover the player in a following serious situation. (They’re try to catch some missiles so the player can reach a switch or door.)

Programmers do not die, they GOSUB without RETURN

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 67

Don’t bots in Descent do this already? I’m pretty sure there have been times where I’m cloaked and I let off one shot and the bots have a short battle to the death…I’ll have to test this again later

deathwinger
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 25

If the bots could fight each other, it could make for some interesting scenarios. The only games I remember bots fighting each other like that were Doom and Quake (the original).

Would be nice to have a modern day game bring back those fond memories 🙂

MentalAbsenceMentalAbsence
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 9

I just replayed the original game and never saw bots deliberately fire at each other, but the splash damage from their missiles definitely damages other bots. I’m pretty sure the level 27 boss killed more bots than I did in that room.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Oh I almost forgot: silkwing. 🙂

Prepare for Overload…

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 67

Maybe it was just in D3 that I saw them attack each other…but I’m pretty sure you need to be cloaked

ThrakaThraka
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 19

Maybe a new missile can be added to the game that clamps onto a bot and either

1. Turns it rogue
    2. Makes other bots think it’s an enemy

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Killing D2's Bandit (the thief bot) is actually very easy… Next Topic: FORUM FIX UP