The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nop
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

1. Graphics

Rendered image becomes very dark / loses any ambient lighting (Caverns are essentially black, only sticky lights are visible, HUD overlay is bright as usual). Might be triggered by toggling graphics settings (e.g. shadows quality or change brightness to +2 and back to default 0). A twitch.tv video I watched a few weeks ago showed the same bug, so it’s not just my system (Geforce 1070, latest drivers).

2. Joystick

a) Deadzone setting does not work at all. (Post calibration, new Thrustmaster 16000)

Technically not bugs but

b) Deadzones can’t be adjusted independently (e.g. twist axis usually requires a much larger deadzone)

b) *Overall turn rate* (e.g. 360 turn) is 3-4 times slower than mouse turn rate and can’t be changed. Ship control feels very slow/sluggish.

c) Missile/Weapon switches are mapped to the 2 stick axis instead of the 8 way hat.

3. After Save/Load

a) Markers can’t be set anymore (Message “Destination reached, marker deactivated”)

b) Exit doors are always locked when saving & loading after the reactor was destroyed.

c) Already applied upgrades are reseted.

d) I’m not sure if I recollect it properly anymore but I think I got instantly teleported to a location very close to the reactor (on the far side of the exit) after I destroyed the reactor in Titan 6 when positioned midway between exit and reactor.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

I haven’t been able to reproduce #s 1 & 3 yet. There are a few issues with save/load, and with upgrades [3c], but I haven’t been able to hit this specific stuff yet. Do you have any specific, reproducible steps for any of these [level, specific upgrades, etc]? Also, you’re not using saves from old builds, are you? Those won’t necessarily work properly, and we haven’t implemented error-checking on them yet.

For 2, however, I should be able to help a bit. I’ve got access to a few different Joysticks, including a Thrustmaster 16000.

I’m seeing that Deadzone is working, though it may be slightly misleading (hopefully we’ll change the language slightly to make this more clear). The Deadzone setting is per axis, even though it’s called ‘Joystick Deadzone’. So make sure that you are on the axis you want to change of the Joystick you want to affect.

That said, there *is* a bug with multiple axes on the same input where the ‘larger’ setting will apply to both (ie, if you set ‘Left Stick X’ to ‘Largest’ & ‘Left Stick Y’ to ‘None’, they will both act like ‘Largest’ was set to them). Twist/other sticks/sliders aren’t affected by this, just the multiple directions on thumbsticks/joysticks themselves.

Turn rate is indeed slower by default on Joysticks, but you can actually change it. Because this setting affects keyboards as well, it’s in a location that you might not expect. Go to Options -> Control Options -> Advanced Options and change the “Joystick/KB Turn Speed”. Lowest is about 55% of Normal (soooo slow), while Highest gets a boost of about 60%.

You can map weapon/missile select however you want, so you can change them if they don’t make sense. That said, when I automatically map the Thrustmaster 16000, it puts those two controls on the two side buttons on the top of the Joystick (which seems logical to me). Make sure you’re clicking ‘Joystick Default’ when remapping it (Options -> Control Options -> Joystick/Gamepad Options -> Remap Joystick/Gamepad), as Joysticks & Gamepads are treated slightly differently when automapping their controls.

I hope this helps.

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 59

I am using dual T.16000m’s:
    2. Deadzones are working for me as well, and can be set independently, though I currently have only one set up (roll on twist) because I am using a T.A.R.G.E.T profile for my curves. I applied a deadzone on roll to keep from accidentally activating it when things get hectic but don’t really need that in other games, so I didn’t want to include it in the T.A.R.G.E.T profile.

The Joystick turn speed option is exactly what you are looking for to adjust your turn rate while keeping your fine aim intact. I’ve found there to be a pretty good variation between the presets. I use high, with a “joystick sensitivity” of “normal” on all axis. You are right about a mouse being faster, but you can get good speed out of the joystick through this option. How accurate you are will determine whether or not it helps you. However, it is easier to turn quickly and be on target with a mouse (not as fun though xD).

I’ve got my weapons/missiles mapped to the hats and it works very well. That being said, I do not use the selection wheel. Using the x/y axis to select a weapon throws off my flight. I just cycle through. If there were a way to hold down a “shift” key to bring up the wheel, then use a hat to select, I think that would be ideal. I haven’t figured a way to do this yet.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Miasmic, I am also a dual joystick player (MS Sidewinder 3D Pro/Saitek Cyborg Graphite). I currently have my hat switches mapped to the weapon hotkeys which can be found under “Additional Controls” in the joystick binding menu. This is a pretty good solution for me and the only way it could be made better is by being able to map all 16 weapons separately instead of in pairs. For instance right now I double tap “Left Hat North” to get Cyclone when I’d rather single tap “Left Hat Northeast.” Other than that my hats work basically like the weapon wheel without having to hold a button first. It’s great! 🙂

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer

@Yoshimitsu, Thanks I have now done this as well. I prefer it much over cycling through. I remember seeing this early on, but didn’t set it up because I didn’t want to remember what all the weapon slots were. Believe I am beyond that point now lol. I actually think I would prefer this over the “hold a key then use hat” that I suggested. Its quick once you learn where things are.

nop
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

@sfisher, The mentioned graphics “bug” isn’t a bug. The problem was actually a subtle/hidden display device setting (“Brilliant Color”). I’m sorry I got it wrong. Regarding 3d: If the teleportation bug doesn’t seem possible in Overload, ignore it. I’m not entirely sure that it actually happened in Outer Moon 3 but I didn’t want to leave it out either.

The proposal in 2d wasn’t phrased properly. I meant being able to map the selection wheel to the joystick hat. The fixed mapping to the stick axis isn’t ideal for a number of reasons.

@Miasmic, I downloaded the TARGET software to set the deadzone there but failed in my short attempt (It looks quite capable). I had already spent an hour configuring first keyboard/joystick, then keyboard/mouse, then joystick/mouse (left/right hand) and wanted to get going.

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer

@nop I should have been a little bit clearer. I do not use TARGET specifically for deadzones. The deadzone setting I was referring to in my previous post was the one within Overload.

That being said, I do have deadzones set up within TARGET, just not for my roll axis because I use the same TARGET profile for multiple games and I do not need it in those. Within TARGET, I have a standard S curve of “2” on my x, y, and z axes of my right stick, with no deadzone. Then I set a medium deadzone for my roll (z) axis within Overload.

The deadzones I have set up within TARGET are only for my left stick. I have rather large deadzones on both the x and y axes. This is done to avoid any “cross-talk” (poor word choice) between my input. Since my left Joystick handles all of my thrusting/strafing {in every game} I wanted there to be a clear definition in input direction, so I can fly worth a damn xD.

TARGET can be a real pain in the ass to get used to. But once you have set up a few profiles/have some practice with it, it becomes pretty easy and straight-forward. There are some great tutorials on YouTube for setting up basic profiles.
    I hope that clears things up a bit. Happy flying.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

For the graphics thing – good. We have enough issues as it is, so I’m glad this was just a monitor (temporarily) messing with you :).

For the 2d thing, my bad. We’re still not 100% on control configuration stuff, so it definitely could change in the future. In the meantime, there are 2 options that probably won’t be any better for you ;).

1. Whatever you map Move Fore/Back & Slide Left/Right to should be able to navigate the selection wheels. So if you map the hat to those, it should work for you. (So just change your mappings to something you’re not comfortable with…sigh).

2. And to make things even more uncomfortable, if you go into ‘Additional Controls’ you can map pairs of weapons or missiles to the hat directions.

I know. Not great options. We want people to be able to set things up as they prefer, but we also want to keep things as simple as possible. It’s a battle. But we’re aware of the issue, and will hopefully come up with an better answer.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: CM suggestion: auto-switch to top Starting Missile after firing a Time Bomb Next Topic: Another overload game