Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff Build your own Sidewinder 3D Pro USB adapter

RSS Feed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  scott 10 Apr 2018 @ 4:40pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 411

It’s no secret that I, like many Descent veterans, love the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D-Pro. It’s also no secret that this old joystick needs some help to work on any Windows newer than 97. A fellow who goes by Grendel developed an adapter a few years ago and even designed a version that anyone can assemble and program easily. I have built 2 of these for my sticks and they work perfectly on Windows XP and Windows 7. I imagine that they’re just fine on Windows 10 as well. Here is his original instruction thread:
    http://www.descentbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=227

I discovered in January when I built my second adapter that some of his links (especially the ones for Radioshack) no longer work. The pieces are still available though so here is an updated list:

1 Teensy board (PJRC)
    1 PBC15F (Winford)
    1 Breadboard (RadioShack) SKU# 2760003
    1 Wire Kit (RadioShack) SKU# 2760173
    2 1kOhm 1/8watt resistors (RadioShack) SKU# 2710004
    2 .001uF 500V 20% capacitors (RadioShack) SKU# 2720126

A couple things I discovered along the way about the DB15 adapter from Winford:

1. It needs to be the female (F) version.
    2. The current version has an extra breadboard pin labled “SH” which needs to be removed, I just clipped mine off.
    3. Grendel mentions sanding the corner of the board to fit. I used a file and that worked well too.

I’d also like to say a massive, if belated, thank you to Grendel. You have saved me from a lifetime of inferior 6Dof play! 😀

scott
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Thanks for outlining this in an updated post. Up to now I’ve been using an Xbox 360 controller as I muddled through the idea of building an adapter or getting a new stick. This week I broke down and ordered a Thrusmaster 16000m fcs, but it’s just not the same for me. The Ms 3dpro head design, stick angle, and the side buttons all make it a much more intuative feel for me, and as it stands I’m still better with the 360 controller vs thrustmaster…sad. I’m going to have to do the adapter project.

If I’m able to get the Ms 3dpro working, I’ll perhaps try the two stick route, and really confuse my brain cells.

Thanks!

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 228

I have one of his adapters (he built) and it works great on Win 10.

scott
    Participant

Glad to here from someone with W10 that has tested it. Thanks.

scott
    Participant

That feeling when your windows 10 PC sees a MS Sidewinder 3DPRO and assigns drivers 😶😂🤣. Thanks Yoshimitsu!

For the moment I just used the sticky tape on the bottom of my bread board and mounted it straight to my case 🤔. Good enough there till I box it.

Sending my Thrustmaster back while I still have a return window.

scott
    Participant

Yoshimitsu,

Here’s a link to a website for those looking to do any revitalizing and repair to an Ms sidewinder 3dpro.

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~dlg7/sidewinder/repair.html

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: Exploit: start with 4 secondaries for CM Infinite instead of 2 Next Topic: 3 Super Robots spawned at start of round w/ no announcement