The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Can the interface's "CRT Effect" be turned off?

RSS Feed
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mr.Perfect
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 4

This isn’t really a bug, so I guess it goes here?

At any rate, is there some way to turn off the pulsing of the UI? It’s got a sort of CRT effect to it, and while it looks cool, it’s kind of messing with my eyes. CRTs would do the same thing, back in the day. A CRT with a low refresh rate was noticeable and caused me noticeable eye strain. The Overload UI effect is to authentic, and is doing the same thing. šŸ™‚

I didn’t see an option in the settings, but maybe there’s an .ini edit?

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I’m not 100% sure that it’s what you want but try disabling post processing under advanced graphics options. The “chromatic” choice especially gave me problems.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Yes, the Post Processing settings control this special effect.

Prepare for Overloadā€¦

Mr.Perfect
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, but even with post processing entirely off the HUD still has that CRT flicker to it. It’s most noticeable on the armor and energy bars, but the weapon names and the reticule’s secondary indicator are pretty noticeable too. The dull green bits of the HUD are dim enough to not be to bad, but if you look close they’re blinking too. šŸ˜

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Oh, the special *flicker* effect. No, that can’t be adjusted. I agree with you; I think we should be able to turn it off and we should also be able to adjust the intensity. Sometimes it bothers me while I’m studying the Automap. Another thing is, before this flicker effect was added, all orb-style powerups had a nice steady and clean glow before this effect was added and so it gave a very nice finished and polished look. After the effect was put in, it looked like something was all messed up with the graphics because now all orb-style powerups flicker just like the HUD and menu system.

Prepare for Overloadā€¦

Mr.Perfect
    Participant

You mean it wasn’t always there? šŸ™ I can see how it could be considered a key art-sytle, because it is pretty unique, but if it was only on the menus it wouldn’t be seen long enough to wig people’s eyes out.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

It was added in about July/August of 2016.

Prepare for Overloadā€¦

Mr.Perfect
    Participant

The first patch added the ability to turn this flickering down! Thanks devs!

It’d be great to be able to turn it off entirely, but “minimal” flicker is better already.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Oh wow. I’d prefer absolutely *no* flicker (including that flicker from the orb-style powerups), but hey, this is a good start.

Prepare for Overloadā€¦

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: [SPOILERS] Counts for all of the levels Next Topic: Editor release date?