The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development When might you be able to release the "Classic Mode" build?

RSS Feed
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Just curious: I know the Classic Mode build isn’t really done, but do you think it’ll be done soon? Or would it require months of work?

Prepare for Overload…

tueidj
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 64

TBH I’d much rather have the original maps with the new textures/lighting/enemies etc. rather than the classic mode demo that was shown – we can already play hi-res Descent with rebirth and co, and those 64×64 textures are really showing their age…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

They can’t do that. They would literally have to recreate those maps by hand. They have enough work to do.

Besides, the whole idea of this “Classic Mode” thing is to have the original maps and the original graphics and textures. It’s for the sake of nostalgia and novelty and fun.

Prepare for Overload…

tueidj
    Participant

If they can already be loaded by the engine (as demonstrated by the video) why would they need to be recreated by hand?
    “Descent HD” would be a lot more appealing then “Classic Mode”, which we already more or less have available via the source ports.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Because they are using the original files, tueidj. In order to get what you want, you’re talking about using Unity 5 to make the maps all over again. They have addressed this before and said it would be a massive project.

I know that it SEEMS like it would be a simple process of updating the textures, but it’s not.

The best they can do with the original files is the same thing that D2X-XL did. That “Classic Mode” build was also created by one of their volunteer programmers. It was done voluntarily by this person.

What you’re talking about isn’t nearly as easy as it seems.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

There’s nothing stopping someone in the community taking on that project. Won’t be me though; we’ve already seen the D1 campaign plenty in the last 20 years and I’d rather show people something completely new.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

There’s nothing stopping someone in the community taking on that project. Won’t be me though; we’ve already seen the D1 campaign plenty in the last 20 years and I’d rather show people something completely new.

Yeah, and as a person who’s been playing D1 and D2 since 1995, I can tell you that I’d much rather have what was demonstrated in that Classic Mode build.

Prepare for Overload…

tueidj
    Participant

Because they are using the original files, tueidj. In order to get what you want, you’re talking about using Unity 5 to make the maps all over again. They have addressed this before and said it would be a massive project.

Still not sure why you think it’s some monumental project… it was clearly running on the new engine, look at the ship, the HUD, the lasers and their lighting. Running a script to permanently translate the maps instead of doing it as they’re loaded would be like a five minute job, considering how simple they are.
    (BTW, those shield orbs and a few other items weren’t the sprites from the original files…)

I know that it SEEMS like it would be a simple process of updating the textures, but it’s not.

The old textures aren’t “embedded” in the maps. Each face in a map has one (or two) texture indexes. Just remap each index to suitable existing regular OVERLOAD textures, all done.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Do we have any idea that the classic mode we saw is even intended for release? I know they showed the video but that just looked like a programmer blowing off some steam with a thought experiment.

The reason I ask is that I imagine all kinds of legal trouble with Interplay if they include the old Descent games within Overload. Matt and Mike have said that Interplay still own substantial portions of the games.

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 119

I believe Parallax own all the rights on the levels.

It could be interesting to revisit these levels maybe they can pretty easily create an auto-translator that will
    auto-cave parts of the level and beautify other man-made parts (differentiation can be made by original texture).

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

…Interplay owns the copyright on most of the sound/music and, I think, the animated hostages. They also own the trademark…

I guess that so long as the sound, music, and hostages are replaced with new assets then they would be in the clear?

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 133

Replacing sound is in essence already done, since the new game has new sounds.

Replacing hostages should be fairly straightforward, since it’s just a sprite.

The “Descent” trademark doesn’t appear very often in the shareware — I believe it’s only in the briefings — so it might be possible to throw the shareware files into a bundle, with a hostage sprite replacement, and call it good. But there might be legal technicalities I’m not aware of.

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

I wonder if there could be a legal case against that made purely on the basis of lost revenue from the assets Interplay DOES own in D1/D2. Would be a hard case to present, though, when Revival could just come back with the non-payment of royalties that caused D1/D2 to be pulled from Steam/GOG recently…

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

We’re not sure how much work is left to get the “classic mode” feature done, but I can say that it’s not ready for release now. And we haven’t decided yet exactly what we’re going to do with it. For now, consider it a cool demo 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: So, why the name "Overload"? Next Topic: Playable Teaser