The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Level Editor and Community Created Levels Not-A-Number error ruining maps

RSS Feed

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KryyssKryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

After running into this issue on two maps where I was just tinkering around with OLE I decided to move onto my first actual project and have been working hard on it over the last few days without any issues. Learned a lot but just a moment ago I tried to export the map and get this again:

INFO: TIME: Building deformation modules (4.12E-05 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Building chunk material dictionaries (0.0005822 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Setting up adjacency and mine normal data (19.3559661 seconds)
    WARN: Zero-sum normal found during CalculateNormals for the mine
    INFO: TIME: Deforming segment verts (0.0964972 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Update deformed_vertices_map (0.0032278 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Smoothing passes (0.0008359 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Calculating final deformed positions (0.0197048 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Post-deformation smoothing passes (0.0003507 seconds)
    INFO: TIME: Adding smoothed and deformed geometry to submesh builders (0.3432605 seconds)
    ERROR: Exception: Function does not accept floating point Not-a-Number values.
    ERROR: at System.Math.Sign(Double value)
    at UnityEngine.Mathf.Sign(Single x)
    at Murmur3.AddHash(Single val, Single granularity)
    at Murmur3.AddHash(Vector3 val, Single granularity)
    at OverloadLevelConverter.MeshBuilder.FaceVertex.CalculateHash()
    at OverloadLevelConverter.MeshBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<GetSubmeshBuilder>b__0(FaceVertex fv)
    at OverloadLevelConverter.MeshBuilder.SubmeshBuilder.AddTriangle(FaceVertex v0, FaceVertex v1, FaceVertex v2)
    at OverloadLevelConverter.LevelConvertState.ConstructGeometryInternal(LevelConvertStateManager convertState)
    at OverloadLevelConverter.LevelConvertState.LevelConvertStateManager.ConstructGeometry()
    at OverloadLevelConverter.LevelConvertState.LevelConvertStateManager.get_LevelStructureBuilder()
    at OverloadLevelConverter.LevelConvertState.LevelConvertStateManager.get_MetaData()
    at OverloadLevelConverter.LevelConvertState.LevelConvertStateManager.SaveLevelAssetFile(ISceneBroker scene)
    at OverloadLevelConverter.LevelConvertState.ConvertLevel(String pathToFile, String levelDataBaseName, String editorRootFolder, ISceneBroker scene, JObject overloadLevelFileData)

At first I thought this was due to a triangular segment, so I corrected this and then the export ran normally. I had just removed some of the extruded segments earlier thinking that they were the cause of the problem so I extruded them again thinking that the issue was resolved. The error returned. So I removed the segments again. The error remained. I then deleted all of the segments that I had created long before this error occurred and had previously had no issues with exporting. The error remains.

With no indication on what is causing this and no indication why a valid map is now invalid this project is dead in the water and I have no confidence in the OLE to continue for now.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

You can clean these up, but not easily; it requires opening the .overload file in a (preferably programming-oriented) text editor, searching for “NaN” values, and deleting those vertices – and any segments that reference those vertices – from the file.

I don’t think anyone’s yet isolated what actions cause these values to get into the file.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Well, with so many people releasing by this point multiple challenge maps without problems exporting and Kryyss, and it sounds like, others, running into the problem with almost any map my (admittedly non-programmer) mind wonders if the editor is doing something unusual interacting with some particular hardware.
    All I can recommend is back up frequently — if something breaks randomly it’s usually easiest to just rebuild it from the last construction that actually worked.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

KryyssKryyss
    Participant

Let me put this very simply. Over the years I’ve used editors like UnrealED, Worldcraft, Hammer and Quark. Yet this OLE is easily the most unreliable and cumbersome editor I’ve ever come across. Now while it may be in beta, at the very least I shouldn’t have to wrestle with it and then have errors pop up with no indication of what is the root cause.

But there is another reason why I’m not going to keep persisting with the problems. Look around. Revival is not interested in it’s community. We’re a month since the OLE was launched and there hasn’t even been an acknowledgement that it has issues let alone any indication that they intend to support this going forwards. Their tutorials on YouTube even said they were going to upload another tutorial 3 weeks ago and it never showed up. All of this adds up to a lack of interest in supporting a mod/map community. When I see things change, then I’ll put up with OLE’s shortcomings but as it stands Overload has no future so I’m not going to invest my time into it.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

But there is another reason why I’m not going to keep persisting with the problems. Look around. Revival is not interested in it’s community.

that’s where you’re wrong, kiddo

https://discordapp.com/invite/fJbKNsU

I think the overwhelmingly vast majority of the team’s resources are being routed into the upcoming console launch, hence the relative silence on the editor (which works/worked well enough for their purposes). Lots of folks — many of whom mastered editing for Descent 1/2 and are thus very skilled in using Overload’s editor off the bat — are taking apart the editor’s quirks and helping people put together some seriously good SP/CM maps. Come hang out!

KryyssKryyss
    Participant

Look around. Revival is not interested in it’s community.

I think the overwhelmingly vast majority of the team’s resources are being routed into the upcoming console launch, hence the relative silence on the editor

I’m glad we agree then.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

You misunderstand me — if you’re interested in frequent contact from the team, they’re often personally in touch with the nearly 1000 users on the Discord server. We’re unlikely to see editor updates until after the upcoming console launch because their limited resources are — as you quoted from my paraphrasing from them — being put into said console launch. With the campaign already finished, it’s probably not a pragmatic business decision to update the editor at this time. Not to say they won’t update the editor, just that it’s not a priority.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Screen-Space Reflections are an abomination! Next Topic: WARN: Zero-sum normal found error?