The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Cockpit Immersion (suggestion)

RSS Feed
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    d3maniac
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hello world!

I have a couple of suggestions that I think could help immersion and really convince you that you’re sitting in that cockpit.

1. Make the ship model impermeable to particle fx and debris. It looks quite odd (especially in VR) when you’re flying along and a piece of debris is suddenly floating IN the cockpit, or when a you smash attack a robot and the explosion effect goes into the cockpit and singes your eyebrows. The windshield is supposed to protect against that! And I think I would look REALLY cool to fly through a debris ridden room and see debris bounce off or slide across your windshield instead of passing through you.

2. (VR only) Reticle perspective. The reticle in VR honestly hurts my eyes a little bit. Playing in VR with the HUD off feels fine, but with the HUD (and thus reticle) on, I start to get a little dizzy. And that’s because the reticle is perceived as being really far away, way outside the cockpit! So far away that it can appear that the reticle is PAST a wall that you’re looking at. I understand why this is the case: it’s so that the reticle will always truly indicate where your weapons will go when you fire. But is makes me not want to play the game in VR, (and I was SO looking forward to overload VR).
    – Maybe there is a more elegant reticle perspective solution? Like having the reticle be perceived as being only as far away as the edge of the ship’s collision.
    – Maybe there could be a toggle to turn the reticle on and off independently of the HUD?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time, really looking forward to playing the full game on release!

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

1. Luke actually made this true for a bit and it was…weird/bad. Some of the ‘debris’ is just particles/not actual objects, so it can’t do this. And the ‘debris’ that *are* actual physical objects feel super annoying to fly through, because if they have mass, they’ll affect you while you affect them.

2. Have you tried the other reticle options? Maybe the minimum one will work for you.

d3maniac
    Participant

1. Ah, that all makes sense. Glad you gave it a try!

2. Yes, I normally play on minimal. Maybe there could be a 4th reticle option for no reticle? I understand if you don’t want to make that an option, I can’t imagine many people want to play without a reticle!

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I liked being able to nose a piece of debris all around the map though…

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

If I’m understanding you right d3maniac, the problem isn’t the reticle design, but its position in 3d space when used in VR. Is that what you meant?

d3maniac
    Participant

Yes that’s exactly what I mean. I think the reticle design is great! But it’s perceived to be really far away, way past the windshield, and sometimes even past walls, and it messes with my whole perception of distance and size.

But if the reticle position/perspective that’s in the game now is the best that we can get, an option to turn the reticle off would be the next best thing.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

If the reticle is fixed near the ship it would depend on the pilot’s head being in the very center of their seat and not slouched.

The latest VR setups have both head positional tracking and orientation tracking. With a reticle appearing far away indicating where the projectile will travel to it wouldn’t matter where in the cockpit you move your head to, you know it will travel from your ship’s gun to that spot. Maybe in addition to the reticle target point, a faint line between the gun and point could be drawn as in other VR games.

I think the reticle should be displayed at a far away point, and not somewhere in between the gun and the wall impact point. Imagine your head being way off to the right side of the cockpit, if the reticle was drawn in between, you could erroneously imagine a line between your head and the reticle and think that is the line the projectiles will follow.

I suppose you mean draw the reticle somewhere along the line from the impact point to your head, the closer the better? Since VR has stereoscopic depth perception I think that would confuse me, thinking the projectiles might travel from the gun to the close reticle. Though with practice maybe one could adjust.

Some other reticle ideas on this thread https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/projected-reticle/

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

You could have 2 reticles, one on the cockpit glass, and one inside the cockpit closer to your head. That would act like rifle sights so that when you line them up in your perspective you know where you’re aiming. If you were off to the side you could still see the relationship between them to gauge your firing angle.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Sounds like old school tech from the early 1900s, without your head lined up with the rifle sight you can only roughly estimate where the shots will land.

With an advanced space ship of the future surely you’d also have advanced HUD technology showing you where weapons could strike no matter where your head is in the cockpit. With 6DOF action your head is likely looking all around scouting for enemies while keeping the reticle on the edge of your eye sight.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: JazzyJet's alpha mp feedback Next Topic: Non-Twitter User here – Any possibility of getting a Steam Key?