The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Collision shape

RSS Feed
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I wonder if the Unity physics engine could handle something like: you clip your wingtip on a corner causing the ship to spin around a bit. Though that probably wouldn’t add much to the gameplay. Also perhaps the shield protects your wing from such encounters, the shield being the collision hull.

That’s the kind of detail that I expect would be a detriment to gameplay, assuming that the ship we will be flying even has wings in the first place (which I don’t take for granted). I’ve played another 6dof game with a non-spherical hitbox and it sometimes hangs up on level geometry or other players. It’s purely annoying.

I do like what I perceive as the OP’s core idea, that the ship’s hitbox should be wider than it is high. I just think that an ellipsoid has the best chance of not causing other irritations.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

We will be using a sphere for level collision, since it’s required for smooth movement and sliding.

For weapon-to-ship collision, it’s currently using a (smaller) sphere, but that could change once we get the final ship model in. And even that doesn’t mean we’ll be doing exactly the same for MP. We’ll definitely be trying a simplified mesh model for the player ship–just like we use for robots–when it comes to projectile collisions. The player ship may be a little shorter in height than width/length, but it won’t be as flat/skinny as the Pyro.

Luke

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Thanks for the update! It’s good to hear that you plan to experiment with a simplified mesh model allowing one to dodge some shots by rolling.

With the sphere for level collision you wouldn’t be able to dodge a shot by placing the bottom of your ship flush against a wall. Not a big deal I suppose, smoothly sliding along walls would be more important.

If you strip off the wings off of the Pyro it’s seems relatively small, the wings kind of make it appear larger. I guess that’s true with many planes. I’m wondering if the simplified mesh model would fill up the space between the body and wings, it would make a big difference in surface area to hit. If so then skinny laser shots wouldn’t be able to fly between the body and wings. I suppose it’s to early to tell at this point as the ship model hasn’t been finalized yet!

MarleyMooMarleyMoo
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 16

Cool! Spherical collision model seems to make the most sense. When you’re touching the wall, you don’t want to get bumped away and/or blocked if parts of the collision shape gets rotated into the wall. Realistically, it makes sense to design a ship that keeps minimum distance away from walls.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Yeah, I am glad to see that a sphere will be used. I’m guessing that’s what was used for the Teaser due to how smooth the interaction is between the ship and physical objects like walls and other bots.

This is one thing that I think Descendent Studios ISN’T doing because they have sticky collision at times, almost as though their hitbox is boxy or something rather than being a smooth sphere that just glides along highly-textured surfaces. Granted, using something that’s very similar to the actual look and shape of the ship is more realistic, a sphere just makes more sense so that you can remain focused on what you’re doing.

Prepare for Overload…

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Drakona and Lothar have been all over the pros and cons of accurate weapon collisions on ships – there was a pretty decent analysis on the D:U boards from what I recall – they should be able to point out what to look out for once it gets to that stage.

The main point was that the smaller the ship’s profile, the more frustrating multiplayer will be.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer

You gotta consider projectile size as well. With big ol’ green blobs from a plasma canon it doesn’t matter so much what the size of your collision mesh is (a glancing hit does the same damage as a dead on hit.) If you’re firing skinny quad lasers beams then it would matter, just avoid straight on shots that are likely pass through, rather aim for the sides (top and bottom even better) where you get more profile area. As a reward for your well aimed skinny laser shots you get more DPS than plasma.

I suppose like ship-wall collision, ship-ship or ship-robot collisions would also be spherical.

tueidj
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 64

I know the issue of power-up pick-up radius was briefly mentioned in the livestream, but contrary to what was proposed (simply increasing the radius all around the player) can I suggest doing the same as original Descent: only use the enlarged pick-up sphere for power-ups that aren’t in view/in front of the player?

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

For something as small as the D:U Wasp was, even the Plasma wouldn’t have helped much (though they didn’t have it in-game then anyway). They just had to make it bigger.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I remember the hitbox of the Wasp being way too small.

Prepare for Overload…

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer

Remember those pesky red hornets and green spawn in Descent 2? Fast and tiny, but they don’t take much damage to destroy once you do connect. I suppose that’s the concept with the Wasp. I would guess that the Wasp doesn’t do much DPS though either.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Actually Hypersonic, the Wasp in D:U was meant to be the default player ship to take the place of the Pyro. That combined with it’s tiny size and flat shape along with the realistic hitbox said a lot about Descendant’s complete failure to understand the fundamentals of fun 6Dof multiplayer. It took months of fans berating them before they grudgingly fixed it.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, their more-realistic hitboxes have created sticky collisions with various things, including certain wall textures. If they had spheres, then it would be no problem.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Damn It… Next Topic: Controls: Bank On