The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Controls: Bank On

RSS Feed
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MentalAbsenceMentalAbsence
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

I know it’s a little early in development for keybinding questions, but has there been any discussion about including a “Bank On” control like in Descent 1-3 – i.e., a key or button you can hold to temporarily convert the yaw axis to a bank axis? For better or worse (well.. probably just for worse), I’ve gotten accustomed to a whacky control setup that uses the middle mouse button to toggle banking, so I was curious whether we might see that back in Overload or whether it’s time to start learning a new setup. Thanks!

spook
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

I second that. Also, I’d like to see “Slide on” (strafe) as well – I used that a lot in Descent. That way instead of 12 keys you need to use only 4 + 2 modifiers.

This may be an optional keybinding – if someone likes tri-chording or is used to different layouts, he still may bind separate slide/bank keys. And those used to Descent scheme could use modifier keys.

This is actually quite important – there are a lot of controls needed in true 6DoF – simplifying them is definitely something worth thinking of (and, probably, not too hard to implement).

Best regards — Spook.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

I don’t think I could enjoy the game as much not having immediate access to all 6DOF at any given instant. When transitioning form a horizontal hall to a vertical hall often times I’ll dual-chord yaw&pitch while at the same time roll, which is the fastest way to pitch the craft from horizontal to vertical. The roll rotates the optimal rotation direction (yaw&pitch chording) from diagonal to upwards.

Even if yaw&pitch were normalized into a resultant turn speed, if yaw remained faster than pitch this would still be the fastest way to pitch up (rolling yaw to the upward direction.) However, if yaw&pitch were the same speed and they were normalized, then all rotation directions would be of equal speed (just pitch up and don’t bother with yaw and roll.)

Wait a minute, if yaw&pitch were normalized, could yaw still be faster than pitch? Doing some math (which may or may not be correct) it seems that it would essentially nullify yaw being faster than pitch.

sqrt (1^2 + 1^2) = 1.41
    1 / 1.41 = 0.7 yaw
    1 / 1.41 = 0.7 pitch
    (not sure if it’s correct to add rotation components like you can translation components, but what the heck)
    sqrt (0.7^2 + 0.7^2) = 0.98

sqrt (2^2 + 1^2) = 2.23
    2 / 2.23 = 0.89 yaw
    1 / 2.23 = 0.45 pitch
    (not sure if it’s correct to add rotation components like you can translation components, but what the heck)
    sqrt (0.89^2 + 0.45^2) = 0.99

Both would probably be 1 if there were not any rounding errors.

spook
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

@hypersonic, I’m not sure if you read my whole message, especially the part:

This may be an optional keybinding – if someone likes tri-chording or is used to different layouts, he still may bind separate slide/bank keys. And those used to Descent scheme could use modifier keys.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

I was just thinking about situations where one might want to use yaw/pitch/roll all at the same time. If rotations were normalized one wouldn’t need to bank all the time for maximum turn speed, which would be beneficial to the request to swap yaw/bank controls.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Collision shape Next Topic: D:U Deal Thread