The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 35

I’m running a dated CPU (Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40Ghz) on an otherwise relatively functional system (GTX 970, 16 GB RAM, Win7 64 bit), and I’m wondering where the brunt of the work is handled in-game from a load perspective. In both the EA version (Build 120), as well as the new playable teaser (experimented on SSD as well as SATA drive), the game (challenge mode) starts out extremely fluid in terms of responsive movement and graphic fidelity, but seems to slow down as the run becomes more populated, particularly after around 20 mins or so. I’ve monitored the GPU stats and things appear to be fine in terms of the GPU not being a bottleneck, especially since most graphic options in the game are either turned off, or set to medium in the case of textures. The CPU usage (in game) however appears to be consistently maxed out, and I’ve tried with and without overclocking the CPU.

Is it perhaps CPU/Motherboard upgrade time ?

scanbbs
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 12

I think your system should be more than capable.
    I use an I-5 with a GTX 960 and only run into problems with high details, shadows etc.

Maybe you have something else going on that is slowing things down?

ionized
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 23

I’ve got an Intel Core i7-2600 (non K) with 8GB RAM and it runs fine. I did replace my old GeForce GTX570 with a Radeon RX570 (gotta love the number 570 :)).

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

Hey Personicus, long time-no-see! Glad to see you are still alive and kicking. I am currently running a pair of intel xeon server cpu’s running at 3.6 Ghz and a Gtx 980ti. I think that part of the problem you may be having is that for running this game, it would seem that graphics ram is king. The more gpu ram available, the better the frame buffering. And from the earliest builds, the dev team has made an effort to reduce the amount of persistent debris in agame to alleviate your system having to track all of it. After twenty minutes of play, even with the reductions made, there is a lot of extra shit to track. I will say that I don’t know if that old remnant of the game is causing your problems, but I would venture to guess that the vram level is partly responsible. Message me some time so we can catch up. maxx, out.

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer

Oh, and by the way, how much ram does your system carry? The rig I’m on at the moment has 40Gb of 1333Mhz. That shit has to buffer somewhere.

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer

Sorry, redundant question alert. just referred back to the OP. You might just want to add some ram to your system to see if that helps. Might be the cheapest fix you can experiment with.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I’m running a dated CPU (Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40Ghz) on an otherwise relatively functional system (GTX 970, 16 GB RAM, Win7 64 bit), and I’m wondering where the brunt of the work is handled in-game from a load perspective. In both the EA version (Build 120), as well as the new playable teaser (experimented on SSD as well as SATA drive), the game (challenge mode) starts out extremely fluid in terms of responsive movement and graphic fidelity, but seems to slow down as the run becomes more populated, particularly after around 20 mins or so. I’ve monitored the GPU stats and things appear to be fine in terms of the GPU not being a bottleneck, especially since most graphic options in the game are either turned off, or set to medium in the case of textures. The CPU usage (in game) however appears to be consistently maxed out, and I’ve tried with and without overclocking the CPU.

Is it perhaps CPU/Motherboard upgrade time ?

No, your system is much more than enough for Overload. It sounds to me like you might not have a large enough Page File set, and I’m speaking from experience with Overload here and my own Page File size. I have a 2500K and a GTX 780 and I have 8 GB of DDR3 1866 MHz memory, and I never experience any performance issues whatsoever in Overload. I have had 45-minute sessions in CM on Trainee too. I play at 1920 x 1080 with all of the in-game graphics settings set as high as they go, but I keep Screen-Space Reflections off because they make the game run poorly on my computer.

I recommend checking your Page File setting, and I recommend very strongly that you make sure it’s set it to “System managed size”, and make sure it’s on your solid state drive.

Prepare for Overload…

PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Replies: 35

Hey Personicus, long time-no-see! Glad to see you are still alive and kicking. I am currently running a pair of intel xeon server cpu’s running at 3.6 Ghz and a Gtx 980ti. I think that part of the problem you may be having is that for running this game, it would seem that graphics ram is king. The more gpu ram available, the better the frame buffering. And from the earliest builds, the dev team has made an effort to reduce the amount of persistent debris in agame to alleviate your system having to track all of it. After twenty minutes of play, even with the reductions made, there is a lot of extra shit to track. I will say that I don’t know if that old remnant of the game is causing your problems, but I would venture to guess that the vram level is partly responsible. Message me some time so we can catch up. maxx, out.

Thanks Maxx. Strangely, running the game in a resized windowed mode seems to have a positive affect on CPU utilisation. Even more bizarre is the fact that the new playable teaser installed on my C: drive (SSD) seems to run worse than the EA Build 120 installed on my D: drive (SATA). While you may be correct that vram is king for this game, I would have thought that a GTX 970 would be more than capable of handling the graphic load, but something is clearly bottlenecking. I’ll most likely wait and see how the final release handles and perhaps a clean install of the game. Sending PM for catch-up….Cheers M8 !

@2cables: thanks for the feedback. I already had system managed pagefiles on both drives.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Replies: 115

Try launching the game native, not from steam. That solved the issues on one of my machines.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: SOLAR WARDEN Demo Next Topic: Multiplayer Madness!