The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Other Games D.R.O.N.E. – Another awesome looking indie Unity game

RSS Feed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by darthkarki darthkarki 01 Aug 2017 @ 8:16am.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    darthkarki
    darthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

I figure there’s likely a few others here who will appreciate this:

I only just found out about this and my interest is piqued, to say the least. It’s a small indie team and they recently announced they are building this in my favorite game engine, Unity.

In case you can’t watch the video, it’s a community-driven multiplayer game where players build their own drones, arenas, and even game modes so you have your typical deathmatches but also racing and possibly others. In addition, the drones and arenas can be designed for air, land, sea, outer space, or a mixture. Considering this I’m very interested in learning more about how controlling the drones works, as it does seem to verge on 6DoF territory. Those of you with more advanced input setups might be glad to hear that controls are mappable and HOTAS should be an option.

If you’re interested in the creative aspects I highly recommend checking out some of the other videos on their channel, including a short series demonstrating arena creation.

The scope is really quite astounding and I certainly hope it’s something they can pull off. From reading their website it sounds like they’re waiting to launch a crowdfunding campaign until they have a certain number of people following their facebook/twitter/YouTube/website/whatever, after which they will likely increase the size of their team.

CHILLYBUS
    CHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I’m skeptical for 2 probably-legitimate reasons and 1 borne of petty tribalism — communities are generally pretty bad at building their own core experiences, I can’t find footage of the gameplay loop outside of the dev/PR environment, and I still see Unity as store-brand Unreal (something something Hearthstone and Overload, something something jim sterling’s ‘image problem’ video, something something steam greenlight asset flips, something something we already have a perfectly good engine starting with the letter U).

I think this is def a cool idea though and mixing things up with stuff like tanks in a 6dof is interesting. This hearkens towards competitive drone racing on ESPN-12 or however high those numbers go. Reminds me a lot of Air Brawl (http://store.steampowered.com/app/375600/Air_Brawl/) — 6dof thinking puts you in the top quarter of the leaderboards in every game. Def keeping an eye on it either way!

raptur
    raptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

This looks neat. CHILLYBUS, you might be interested in looking at Distance, a unique racing game in the tradition of Nitronic Rush that has thousands of community levels. Some of them are trash, sure, but most are really good. If they get the core mechanics down, I bet there’d be an eager community to stretch the game to its limits.

I’m more concerned about what I see as a lack of focus. They’ve only got five people, but the video shows a lot of stuff that looks completely extraneous. For example, the humanoid operators are completely irrelevant to the gameplay as far as I can see, and the finely-destructible terrain, weather, and legs on the drones look like an enormous amount of extra work for very little added value.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up darthkarki! I’ll be keeping an eye on this one. Hopefully they release on Linux 🙂

CHILLYBUS
    CHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Distance

I backed that actually! Many years ago. I played through it on release but vowed to return once there was content…and now it’s some years later. Great concept and if I get the itch that’s great, but I’m guessing there are at least a few people in my boat with one or more community content games.

D2Disciple
    D2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

This looks neat. CHILLYBUS, you might be interested in looking at Distance, a unique racing game in the tradition of Nitronic Rush that has thousands of community levels.

Downloaded and tried this one last year! Very fun little game. Need to pick it back up and try some of the community-made levels sometime. The random track generator based on typed phrases is a hilarious little diversion, too.

I’m beginning to think most Descent fans generally like the same types of games. Haha.

darthkarki
    darthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

I’m beginning to think most Descent fans generally like the same types of games. Haha.

I’ve had Distance on my wishlist for a while now too 😀

I’m more concerned about what I see as a lack of focus. They’ve only got five people, but the video shows a lot of stuff that looks completely extraneous. For example, the humanoid operators are completely irrelevant to the gameplay as far as I can see, and the finely-destructible terrain, weather, and legs on the drones look like an enormous amount of extra work for very little added value.

This is a very good point, and I totally agree about the “operators” part… no idea what any of that is about, it seems completely superfluous. Weather on the other hand can really add a lot to the experience and I’m glad that’s in.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Descent music in Overload style? Next Topic: New Impressions