The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games D2X-XL

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

I guess most people coming here know it anyway … if you are more into singleplayer than into multiplayer, you may want to try D2X-XL. D2X-XL is a Descent 1+2 source port to OpenGL with a lot of graphical and gameplay enhancements (which you can all disable at your disposition). It also has a lot of improved textures, better sound, better player ship and powerup models, special custom missions with new mechanics and effects, and and and … of course you can player MP matches with D2X-XL too, with up to 16 players even. 😉

Something to kill your time and enjoy some graphical splendor until all the next-gen Descent inspired 6dof games are out. 😉

Find it at the D2X-XL Site.

For those who want to hone their level building skills with a segment based game engine until they can get their hands on Overload’s tools, there’s also a vastly enhanced version of the official Descent Level Editor DMB2 available there.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by karx11erxkarx11erx.
    karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

A Descent fan has posted a great video from a cold start LP of the awesome multi author mission Descent: The Enemy Within. He has turned off a few enhancements (3D powerup models, smoke fx), but you will nevertheless get a nice impression of D2X-XL from it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by karx11erxkarx11erx.
    DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

DLE has also taken over many of the jobs DTX2 used to do for custom non-level textures, and works on modern operating systems. Mainly though it’s DMB2 revisited to be a lot tidier and fix some of the things it always did poorly, such as managing and aligning textures, and placing objects.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Yah, I’m a big fan of D2X-XL. Shame it doesn’t get more love.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer

XL is more single-player focused for sure, perhaps because it’s not always stable in multiplayer. The Rangers have tried to do co-op sessions with XL a few times but there’s always someone who can’t connect or stay connected. Which is unfortunate because some of the most interesting, and definitely most spectacular single-player missions are D2X-XL exclusive.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Thank you for sharing this. I have been using the DXX rebirth port but will be keen to try this one too.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

@Darkhorse, that’s the first time that I am hearing that the Rangers have been trying to use D2X-XL. How long ago was that? I have done a lot to increase multiplayer stability in D2X-XL, and having a bunch of dedicated testers helping me to iron such bugs out would have been a great help. Too bad I never got contacted and asked whether I wouldn’t want to help the Rangers out with D2X-XL.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer

I think that was somewhere between August-November. Problem is they’re not likely to be very ‘dedicated’ dedicated testers – particularly when it comes to reporting problems. Sirius arranges the monthly co-op meets though, and they’re usually announced well beforehand. So because those events are properly organised, I think it’s possible we can get attendees all updating prior to the event. Assuming connections work, any bugs we encounter can be reported by someone who knows how. Would be nice to play co-op Anthology finally.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Yeah, the “I can’t join” bugs have to be detected in advance – it becomes a bit of a problem if the main event rolls around and we can’t play the mission we picked.

I think I remember a couple of missions we tested. Dimensional Intersect, for some reason, nobody could actually spawn into the level other than the host – they just kept getting dropped. I don’t know whether that’s still a problem – it was some time ago and I can’t recall whether I reported it either. Anthology worked better, but I want to fix some of the bugs in the level (matcens in particular, they seem broken) before actually playing that for real.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

I had tested Dimensional Intersect co-op last year together with my son. I found a couple of problems, but after my fixes we could play together. The problem with huge levels like that is the insane amount of game status data that has to be transferred to a joining player. The way Descent 1/2 do that is prone to synchronization problems, and that may be the reason for the disconnects. You need a rock solid internet connection for that to work.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer

Hmm. Considering bandwidth less than 1Mb/s is rare these days, that should be fine on most connections, surely?

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Well, this was last year (early September, I think), so there’s a fair chance the fixes could have been what we needed. I figure if Anthology worked, DI should as well – I don’t think it was significantly bigger.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

My networking fixes were before September 2015, unfortunately …

The problem is not internet bandwidth per se, but the way Descent (and D2X-XL) transmit sync data: They send it in small packages between game frames. That means that much less is getting transmitted than network bandwidth would allow, resulting in a lengthy sync process. Now if the game state changes significantly during that time (robots dieing e.g.), this will result in sync errors. The easiest way to fix this would be to either transfer all sync data in one large batch, or make sure the entire available time between two game frames is being used for transmitting sync data. The P2P nature of Descent’s networking model makes this a bit more complicated though if a new player tries to join a game in progress with several active players already. Each player causes certain game state changes locally on his machine that end up being authoritative for all other players in the match (object destruction is always authorized by the machine of the player who destroyed the object). This introduces a lot more possibilities of sync failure.

I had already put D2X-XL’s entire low level network communication into separate, concurrent threads. It shouldn’t be too hard to have the game state synchronization run in its own thread too, having signaled to it when it could transmit game state data and when it should stop because D2X-XL is updating the game state. The majority of frame time is eaten by the renderer anyway, so there should be a lot of time to send huge amounts of sync data between game state updates while the renderer is busy. The problem is that sending some megabytes of sync data might cause brief stuttering of the renderer if it took more than 1/60 sec, so I would like to keep the basic sync mechanism (sending sync data in small chunks) and just send as many chunks as possible between game state updates.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

[moved to new thread by author]

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I wonder if the troubles I had last time I tried to use XL for multiplayer might have been caused by the same things. The behavior we encountered was that two people could play just fine but when a third tried to join a game in progress they kept joining and rejoining constantly resulting in a repeating spawn effect, “Player X has joined” message, and a stationary ship. Eventually it would spread to the other players and we would all just be stuck in place spawning over and over.

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to investigate or report properly as my real life has been increasingly busy and I was just trying to grab a quick game between things but I will do my best next time to see if I can give you a detailed report.

Nice signature by the way Karx. I like it 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: D1X-Retro Next Topic: Good luck!