The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games D2X-XL

RSS Feed
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

I have already been thinking about a way to make syncing much faster (see above). It will basically run in its own thread and will communicate with the game state update via semaphores. That should solve the out-of-sync problems.

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

The main issue I encountered when I tried using D2X-XL to play Descent is that it appeared to have some kind of memory leak issue. If I saved and reloaded too many times in a session, the game would eventually crash out with a fatal error. It happened to me part way through a Descent 2 playthrough and even corrupted my save file. Thankfully it was early in the game so I didn’t lose too much progress.

Some of the issues I experienced might only be on Windows 10 machines, but I’m probably going to reinstall it and give it another go. I might have had somethings set up incorrectly or I installed something incorrectly, etc.

ThrakaThraka
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 19

One of the first things I thought of when I learned about Overload was: “I hope they’re aware of the cool level enhancement stuff D2X-XL has.”

So, glad to see you here karx11erx 🙂

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

Quad, I am just preparing some code to check for memory leaks in D2X-XL. Takes more time than I had expected though.

PumoPumo
    Participant
    Replies: 27

D2X-XL is my port of choice, mainly due to the extensive modding support it has including support for hi-res assets and effects, as well as much more advanced level scripting capabilites.

That’s why I’ve always seen D2X-XL as superior to Descent 3, as it retains the D1/D2 mechanics that I love while adding some excellent features that no even D3 had.
    Sure, sometimes that features comes with a price, as adapting them to such an old engine may cause unstabilites at some cases, but it totally worths it!

Also, as I’m a single-player guy and mainly a modder, I don’t mess much with online play, so I don’t know about its stability on MP. But as for late versions, I’ve seen that stability for single-player is pretty good! (at least on my side)

A shame I’ve not got much time to continue with my Pumo Mines project for D2X-XL on the latest months (due both to my job and medical reasons), but I will try to continue with it as soon as I can!

http://pumosoft.3d-get.de – Pumo Software official Website
    – Pumo Mines progress: 60%

PigmyRhinoPigmyRhino
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

Personally, I love D2X-XL. It’s simply beautiful. I definitely agree it’s more Single Player oriented, and that’s absolutely fine. I love Single Player. and I love all the features it includes. More people need to check it out

Lt. Commander – Blue Lightning Squadron (Descent Rangers)

http://www.descentrangers.com

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer

I have been able to locate and fix some networking issues, but I had no success regarding the “memory leak”: The problem here does not seem to lie in D2X-XL itself.

Obi-Wan KenobiObi-Wan Kenobi
    Participant
    Replies: 25

Anthology will always be my number one fav xD It would be awesome to see an Anthology II Happen but then with a famous Descent Underground & Overload map added to the idea?

Cool to see you here Karx11erx, been a while I seen you around, I hope all is going well 🙂

Holder Of The World’s Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
    https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/hello-there-here-a-descent-collectors-intro-8/

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: D1X-Retro Next Topic: Good luck!