The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Website and Forum Feedback Damn It…

RSS Feed
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

I don’t know which needs help more, this goddamn forum or my computer which can’t keep time. I just lost a huge post in creating a new topic (which obviously was only created in some alternate universe), and I’m not wasting the time to redo it. ****

Kickstarter Backer

FYI upon submitting the topic, and being redirected to the listing sans my new topic (Overload Development forum), I looked over to the right where I was offered the chance to log in (I WAS logged in… I checked it on a separate tab I had open for quoting).

I already spent more time on it than I wanted to this morning. Now I’m really heated…

1up1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 82

Happened to me last week so I gave up when I noticed that the forum was disconnecting me every few minutes. I thought our admins were buggering me but I had no issues this week.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

As a general rule of thumb I write in notepad then copy paste to textboxes for any online forum (or write in a textbox and copy paste to notepad before submitting, just in case.) What you described happened to me many times before so I learned my lesson.

It can happen that when you start a post you’re logged in, then it can time out before you submit. Possibly you had the tab open for awhile before writing as well.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

Hey guys, I’m sorry about the site logging people off. It sucks to lose work you’ve spent time correcting to get just right (sorry Sergeant Thorne!). As much as it seems like it, I promise we’re not messing we you. As we work on the site, it decides to log people off (I had to login again yesterday morning as well). We set the forced logoff time for a year out (if you clicked the remember me box) and hopefully will have less site work now that the chat and support pages are up and working.

Kickstarter Backer

I guess one of the things that pissed me off the most was that the forum system here just shrugged its shoulders at my login state and then ditched the submitted content. These kinds of [web] programs need to be burned with fire–preferably napalm, not employed in an otherwise more and more civilized digital world. 😛 Submitted content should be preserved by the forum system through to the conclusion, no matter what hoops it decided it needs to jump through. If I lose a post by closing down a browser then that’s my fault, and I can handle it. This was just bad error/unexpected state handling. Bad forum! Bad!!

Shit happens. I mentioned my computer because for all I know its propensity to travel backwards in time (no flux capacitor involved, unfortunately–fancy/defective motherboard just eats batteries like candy) may have played a part, but only if it were a client-side send-off problem. Still something the forum software should be able to account for, but I didn’t want to send you on a wild goose chase. I know you folks have been doing a lot of work on the forum, Cathy, and it is appreciated.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Demo recordings Next Topic: Collision shape