The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 48

After the kickstarter, I was planning to walk away some what. I am fairly anti-social in real-life, I am not sure how to really get involved in online community also. After all this, I think I will attempt to be more involved in the community… I would like to be one of the people that has been in it forever.

My dream in life was to make my own game, but, through having a troubled adolescence… I never got there. I have 2 children that I would like to open the world up to… I have decided to try to start coding again and maybe make some levels in the future, so maybe I can program my own (small) game with my children someday.

This is all inconsequential… so, I really appreciate you reading this. Thanks!

SeaWyrm
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

Game-making? A noble goal! I wish you the best of luck.

And not that I’m exactly a huge member of this particular online community myself, but nevertheless, welcome to it!

sdfgeoffsdfgeoff
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 14

Game making is really fun as a hobby. Grab an engine, it doesn’t matter what, but stick with it for six months until you know how to use it. Then make tiny games such as push-the-cube-off-the-edge-of-the-world and build your way up from there.

Me? I make my own games for fun. I’m even working on a browser-based 6DOF game that I will announce to the Descent community in a few months (when I have multiplayer working and have finished the level-building pipeline)

PigmyRhinoPigmyRhino
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

Multimedia Fusion is a really amazing entry-level game making program. I took a week long class at the community center in my town. We made platformers. Check it out at Clickteam‘s website 🙂 good luck!

Lt. Commander – Blue Lightning Squadron (Descent Rangers)

http://www.descentrangers.com

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Doing things for your kids=priceless

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Hey Xeme! as a kind of internet hermit myself, I’m glad you decided to join the 6dof community. Basically the only online interaction I have is through the various Descent related forums, and I must say you picked a good bunch of people. Ever since I decided to jump into the D2X-XL forum a few years ago (and from there to many others) everyone has been welcoming and encouraging. So I’d like to be like the people I’ve come to know and say welcome aboard, we’re glad to have you 🙂

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer

Thank you, everyone! I was up late last night reading about engines… I still did not really know what I wanted to work with. I think about 6 years ago, I was messing with the Irrlicht engine, that was fun because I could render a Quake 3 level pretty much by doing nothing haha… It seems like they have a dedicated community, but, it seems like nothing has changed since then — and, I guess it is a graphics engine per se… not a game engine.

I am open to any suggestions (I will check out Multimedia Fusion, thanks — and your picture is disturbing =))… I keep reading that Unity is the way to go, and that would make sense if we can modify Overload… but, I do not really understand what I would be able to do with it on a “free license”. My programming skill is limited to those horrible databases we made in school (I never finished). It seems like a good goal to at least have the ability to show the kids their way around code and be able to modify variables at least. I wonder how the developers and how you professionals go about it with your own families =)

Hey Xeme! as a kind of internet hermit myself, I’m glad you decided to join the 6dof community. Basically the only online interaction I have is through the various Descent related forums, and I must say you picked a good bunch of people. Ever since I decided to jump into the D2X-XL forum a few years ago (and from there to many others) everyone has been welcoming and encouraging. So I’d like to be like the people I’ve come to know and say welcome aboard, we’re glad to have you :)

Thank you, I did not expect any response. I will attempt to get more involved… I think I will probably just stick to this forum for right now, since I think my head will explode otherwise. The twitch stream was overwhelming, so many people… judging by another thread, there are still people in there haha…

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer

Really, thanks again… pretty much joining any community is super intimidating.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I know what you mean. I’ve been involved long enough now that I’m more or less used to it, but it was a bit overwhelming at first. I’m actually the one over in the twitch chat by the way ;P

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Holy moly, PigmyTrump!

I totally forgot about ClickTeam. I used to make tons of games on their first Maxis software “Klik and Play” — what a great community it’s become!

Good start for programming logic, for sure. I eventually got a paid gig programming all because I played around in “The Games Factory” long enough until I outgrew the program’s limitations. Awesome for kids, too!

But yeah, anyway, Xeme — Descent fans are interesting folx. Good community.

I am perpetually behind on all things cultural but I think Unity is a great way to build. And isn’t C always needed? Pretty interesting how C languages keep coming up over all the years. What was it C++ now C# or something?

I hear Python is fun.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

I’ve played quite a bit with Irrlicht. Someone wrote an awesome wrapper for the Bullet physics library which made it dead easy to use.

I was on a team writing a new 6DoF game, but it fell apart when a couple of us got jobs, and social lives.

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer

I know what you mean. I’ve been involved long enough now that I’m more or less used to it, but it was a bit overwhelming at first. I’m actually the one over in the twitch chat by the way ;P

I went ahead and visited yesterday, but no one was talking. I wanted to say something like “Wake up, Sheeple”, but I just left.

Holy moly, PigmyTrump!

I totally forgot about ClickTeam. I used to make tons of games on their first Maxis software “Klik and Play” — what a great community it’s become!

Good start for programming logic, for sure. I eventually got a paid gig programming all because I played around in “The Games Factory” long enough until I outgrew the program’s limitations. Awesome for kids, too!

But yeah, anyway, Xeme — Descent fans are interesting folx. Good community.

I am perpetually behind on all things cultural but I think Unity is a great way to build. And isn’t C always needed? Pretty interesting how C languages keep coming up over all the years. What was it C++ now C# or something?

I hear Python is fun.

The ClickTeam stuff is completely new to me. I have not gotten a chance to check their tools out just yet.

C and C++ is about all I know — I forgot what C# is, I do not recollect if I ever did anything in it; makes me think it is super object-oriented or something. I was learning Python on Udacity last year, but, I got stuck on a program and life became really busy; I suppose I should open that back up and see if I can remember how to do any of it.

The plan tonight is to gather all my Descent games onto the computer, find a compiler, and decide what to do engine-wise. Of course, I still have spring cleaning… and, er… taxes.

I’ve played quite a bit with Irrlicht. Someone wrote an awesome wrapper for the Bullet physics library which made it dead easy to use.

I was on a team writing a new 6DoF game, but it fell apart when a couple of us got jobs, and social lives.

I am glad you mentioned the Irrlicht engine, it may still be worth it (for me). Graphics does not bother me too much. Shame about your team…

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer

No worries.

Give it a go. I remember their IRC channel being very helpful.

Enzo03Enzo03
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 10

Well if you’re familiar with Java, which is a relatively verbose, garbage collected, class based, statically typed, single dispatch, object oriented language with single implementation inheritance and multiple interface inheritance, C# is a relatively verbose, garbage collected, class based, statically typed, single dispatch, object oriented language with single implementation inheritance and multiple interface inheritance.

I find it easier to use than C++ a lot of the time.

I’m currently dabbling in Unity now and then to make a shmup. I actually haven’t touched it in a while… I should change that!

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer

I’ve touched Java a bit, and didn’t enjoy it. To be fair, I’ve done a ton of work with C++, so I’m used to it, and I only had a superficial view of it.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Hello There, Here a Descent Collector’s Intro 8-) Next Topic: Need Help by editing my name…