The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Descent 1 Lunar Outpost (Descent Unity port?)

RSS Feed
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aldemar Bernal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 22

I’ve been playing around with D1 hog and pig original files for some weeks. After importing them on the fly into Unity 5 and after seeing deformation on Overload to make the mines look like actual mines, I decided to try the same on the old Descent levels, here is the Lunar Outpost.

I have been able also to import the bots but I’m not sure how far should I go with this hobby 😛 what do you think? should I continue working on this D1-unity port demo? Obviously I would not include original HOG and PIG files and these would be mandatory to use.

Any comments are welcome.
    AlDescent

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

Very cool!

How did you import a Descent 1 mine into Unity?

Do you think you could do that with a D2X-XL level? I have a few I would love to see in Unity 5.

Aldemar Bernal
    Kickstarter Backer

Hi Karx, I wrote some python tools for extracting and parse the rdl files https://github.com/AldemarBernal/descent . Basically the rdl-reader tool generates a json file with the mine information and then I use that json to create the level on-the-fly on unity, later on -ificontinuewiththisproject- I would move that python code into unity in order to read directly from the original files.

Which D2X-XL level? right now I’ve been using rdl files which are Descent 1’s but rl2 Descent 2 mine level files should not be that different.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

Hi Aldemar,

I was thinking of my level “Subspace”, featuring a cave with a lake. It has a special, D2X-XL specific format though, but you can export it to an ASCII file format using DLE (Descent Level Editor). You want to use “extended block file” format for that.

Aldemar Bernal
    Kickstarter Backer

Hi Karx, sorry about the delay, been quite busy.. life keeps going :P. Last time I tried to execute DLE it didn’t work, I’m using mac with wine. If you can export that mine into a RDL Descent 1 file I would be able to load without problem.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Simple request: Please don't balance difficulty via bullet sponging Next Topic: Lock on/Z targeting for single player…