Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Descent 3 Update Discussed during 24 Hour Kickstarter

RSS Feed

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Sirius Sirius 07 Jun 2017 @ 11:17am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thermoluminescence
    Thermoluminescence
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

During the 24 hour kickstater it was mentioned an update was coming for Descent 3 that would allow it to run on modern PCs without so many issues. Possibility it was mostly an update to stability and maybe controller support, not sure.

But it was exciting news.

Making this thread as a friendly reminder/request for an update on this when the time is appropriate. Overload itself is obviously priority, I just hope this concept to update Descent 3 is still in the woodwork. Thanks!

Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.

defconx
    defconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 37

Oh my gosh, yea. Would be neat.

Profile photo of Hunter
    Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 32

I sent an e-mail about this but haven’t received a response yet.
    There is actually a couple of patches already available which improve the game, for example the 1.4 32-bit patch (custom built) which allows you to run the game without texture obliteration. It’s an absolute godsend on newer systems with GPU’s that don’t support those old textures.

The thing that most interests me is getting D3 running in a window without having to mess up your desktop programs…That would save a lot of hassle 🙂

Zeether
    Zeether
    Participant
    Replies: 11

I’d love to see the update happen. The game does take a bit of tweaking on my end to run and it would be nice to have the option to play it without much fuss.

Too bad with the lack of it on Steam/GOG some people will be locked out of being able to play it with the update…

defconx
    defconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 37

Would there be any legal issue with making a D3 update? Is the IP in question?

Zeether
    Zeether
    Participant
    Replies: 11

I don’t think there are, but people who didn’t get the game back when it was on sale on GOG won’t be able to make use of the update since the games were pulled.

Profile photo of Matt Toschlog
    Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 88

defconx,

What do you mean by “a D3 update”? As for the IP, I own the copyright for Descent 3 but Interplay owns the trademark. So it really depends on what you might be doing.

– Matt

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 337

Probably the compatibility patch that (if I recall correctly) Jeff Slutter and Kevin Bentley were working on, but I think you mentioned during the SDS interview that they are a little busy at the moment…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: Crash after a few minutes Next Topic: Videos, youtube, etc + Beta