The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Descent Discord Server

RSS Feed
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    toumaltoumal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 15

Hey everyone!

I’ve set up a Discord server for Descent (and all other 6DOF games) – primarily so people interested in playing the old games can get together. But it’s useful for the newer games too because we all know 6DOF games aren’t exactly mainstream, and finding other pilots can be difficult.

To join, just visit this link: https://discord.gg/0sm18YtomfNGteiC

If you don’t know Discord, it’s pretty cool, like Telegram and Teamspeak rolled into one, with multiple moderated chatrooms, high quality voicechat, and so forth. You can connect to it just using your browser, or download a client for PC/linux/mac or even a mobile app.

Moderator applications welcome! See you in the mines!

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

Thanks for this. This looks better than mumble so far. One issue with mumble on the Descent Rangers server is that the maximum users is in the 20 something. I will start using this from now on.

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 48

Thanks, I may have to get Descent back on my system (and a microphone)… but, this seems very useful!

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

I noticed that the Overlay feature causes glitches in frame rate when playing Descent 1. The overlay is a pretty important feature to me when you want to chat with people while playing. You can see who is talking with it. Mumble doesn’t seem to give me the same problem which is what Descent Rangers use with their Retro mod.

toumaltoumal
    Kickstarter Backer

The Overlay is brand new (not even a week old) so i would give it a bit of time.

Never had any issues myself but of course i agree this would be annoying. I have a nvidia gtx 670 and play in fullscreen mode.

You might want to set shadowplay to manual, see if that helps.

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

Cool! I just installed the Discord client the other day.

SeaWyrm
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 21

Hmm…
    I’m torn. This looks cool, and I want to try it, but all the Descent matchmaking action is currently on the Descent Rangers mumble channel: mumble://mumble.descentrangers.com:31393
    Is it cool enough to get all those pilots to budge? Or am I going to wind up being in two voice chat clients at once?

PigmyRhinoPigmyRhino
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

The thing about the Rangers Mumble, speaking as a Ranger myself, is that it’s relatively easy to just download and hop right in, and its ease of use is what draws pilots new and old to our server. ๐Ÿ™‚ Discord is awesome, yes. And with luck, you *might* be able to convince us to switch, but it’ll be a tough sell

Lt. Commander โ€“ Blue Lightning Squadron (Descent Rangers)

http://www.descentrangers.com

Verran
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 18

Some of us tried Discord and ended up back on the Mumble server. Not sure why, though.

Our current slot max is 35. It can be increased at any time if necessary.

Thanks!

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 118

I must be an old fogey if I prefer IRC and teamspeak.

toumaltoumal
    Kickstarter Backer

The thing about the Rangers Mumble, speaking as a Ranger myself, is that itโ€™s relatively easy to just download and hop right in

Oh I am well aware of Mumble and its qualities! The thing is, you don’t even have to download anything for Discord because in addition to dedicated client software, it also works just in your browser: https://discordapp.com/

They’re working on streaming integration, videochat and screen sharing support. I kinda like their business model too, as you don’t have to pay for the actual service, but down the line you’ll be able to purchase flair and fancy visual stuff to keep the service afloat. So far they’ve had a better service quality than any of my previous mumble and TS3 hosts, and I’ve been doing this stuff since the first release version of Teamspeak ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Oh yeah and… no slot count. That’s a biggie for me personally. Right now I still pay for a TS server because there’s resistance to change on my site too, but TS is definitely on the way out now for us.

And with luck, you *might* be able to convince us to switch, but itโ€™ll be a tough sell

Nothing to “sell” here, as I don’t own Discord. I simply created the server and set up some groups. Also, if the Rangers admins would like to take ownership of the Discord server I have no qualms about handing it over! And as I said, if you guys wanna stick to Mumble that’s cool too.

(but not as cool :P)

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

The overlay works well for me now. No glitches in frame rate. Maybe it was updated or something. I like Discord so far.

The only downside I see is that Discord takes up quite a bit more desktop space when the Discord app’s screen is selected.

The Descent Rangers’ Mumble server works well for me too except we did bump into the slot count being reached the other day when I invited someone to it. They were getting some bizarre certificate error but someone noticed that the slot count was full. As soon as someone else left the server the guy with the certificate errors was able to log in successfully.

I plan to run both clients and hope people do give Discord a chance. I had both overlays working while play Descent 1 multiplayer. Mumble on the top right and Discord on the top left :).

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

Well it wasn’t because of the GUI. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Verran
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 18

If you run into Mumble slot max, shoot me an email ( verran@descentrangers.com ) and I’ll bump it up. Thanks!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Merchandising or Overload-Shop? Next Topic: Joystick is wearing out. :( Suggestions?