The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Drop 7, Build 83 released!

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

We’re pleased to announce the Early Access release of Overload version 0.7 on Steam. We have a new story mode level and numerous improvements, fixes and optimizations. Please see below.

New content:

* Story mode Level 4 (Phoebe Peleus)

New features:

* New Player Ship Exterior – will still be tweaked a bit, but now nearly final
    * Rear View (not mapped by default, on ‘Additional Controls’ page of mapping)
    * Quicksave (Default is F8, saves in last slot. Previously had been combined
    with Checkpoint Save – now these things are separate)
    * 3rd reticle option
    * Ambient sounds in story missions
    * Ability to select which controller is “Primary.” The primary controller is
    the one that controls the menus.
    * Function Keys can be remapped (Quicksave/Toggle Cockpit F8/F9, etc)
    * Selection wheel controls can be remapped (Additional Contols Page)
    * New fastest speed option for the Joystick/Keyboard turn speed
    * New ‘Low’ option for Joystick Sensitivity
    * Joystick/KB Roll Speed (Turn Speed already controls Yaw & Pitch)
    * Can enter Challenge Mode with less than full loadout (For 2nd+ Primary/
    Secondary slot, choose “-none-“)
    * Automap now indicates Energy Centers
    * Can delete Pilots with a controller
    * Can quit directly to the Challenge Mode menu to save time when replaying
    * Can go to the Load Game menu from the SP death screen

Feature changes:

* Holo-Guide will no longer lead to secret powerups until the player finds them
    * Holo-Guide no longer in Challenge Mode
    * Removed “heatmaps” from the automap
    * Removed the option to change FoV in VR (not needed, and didn’t do anything
    anyway)
    * Removed Super variants of Guardian, Kraken, & Scourge so their new ‘Upgrades’
    will be a surprise in the final game 🙂

Tweaks:

* Optimizations
    * Weapon & Missile are now called Primary & Secondary
    * Super Secondary Weapon (Missile) Pickups now give *full* ammo (allowing player
    to have more than max ammo)
    * Changed AI in CM so robots engage the player a little faster at the start of
    the game (to decrease starting lull)
    * Changed aim on ‘first shots’ by AI, so the player will get more warning shots
    and be a little less surprised
    * Lowered Robot accuracy on Wind Tunnel Exit (was too precise/unfair)
    * Page Up/Down now wrap for Challenge Mode levels
    * Added First/Last Page controls to menus that support Page Up/Down.
    * Added ‘Jump to My Score’ to in-game leaderbaord.
    * Made [Cancel] not back out of Automap (caused conflicts, mainly with joysticks
    and zoom)
    * Improved robot AI when the player is cloaked
    * Increased movement in automap by 50%
    * Tweaked SFX for supers to differentiate them from their regular versions

Fixes

* Better fix to the issue with close-spawning in Challenge Mode
    * Fixed issue with robots getting stuck at exit of wind tunnel
    * Fixed an issue with the cursor re-centering on changing pages (pgup/pgdn)
    * Fixed issue where Holo-Guide was listed as the killer in Countdown
    * Fixed an issue with Reflex & Missile Pods quantum tunneling out of the world
    * Snipers will no longer ‘fall asleep’ in Challenge Mode
    * Cleaned up some timing-related issues with player death
    * Cryopod Numbers now correspond to normal counting, not computer counting
    (1, 2, 3,… instead of 0, 1, 2,…)
    * Fixed an issue with loading old profiles
    * Fixed an issue preventing the game from starting in Fullscreen
    * Fixed an issue in which the Saved Game Menu wouldn’t render
    * Fixed an issue with Tarvos that would cause certain parts to disappear/not render
    * Fixed a font issue with dashes
    * Corrected the Automap Legend
    * Fixed TrackIR again

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

What do you think of having a Quick Load key as well? It feels incomplete to me without it.

Prepare for Overload…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

When I’m cloaked, Golem is extremely loud.

I heard another sound issue with Shredder’s charging sound getting cut short. I don’t know how to describe it or reproduce it.

For the past several releases now, I keep forgetting to mention that I noticed that the Falcon and Hunter powerups are a little easier to tell apart at a glance. I think the Falcon powerups is brighter now and the Hunter may be a little dimmer.

I think you may have also adjusted the look of the Overdrive to be more obvious that it’s an Overdrive orb and not an Armor orb.

The Cloak orb though still makes me go after it when I’m desperately hunting down Armor. Unfortunately, I also chase down my Impulse shots as well. I’m quite serious. In the insanity that can ensue in Challenge Mode, I’ll chase down anything blue. If Cloak is purple, well, I have a mild color blindness.

Prepare for Overload…

toumaltoumal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 15

Omg this update ruined everything.

Just kidding. Awesome update, i really dig the new map and the driving beats of the music. Definitely a step up from the existing content.

I’d suggest color coding the keys and doors however, so that it’s clear if you spot a key behind a fence that it is or isn’t the one you need.

Also, continued ambient warning klaxon during reactor overload please? It’s a bit odd that there is no audible warning after the initial one.

VR performance is terrible when bots explode, in 2D it’s fine though.

Overall a welcome update and feels very polished.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Omg this update ruined everything.

Just kidding. Awesome update, i really dig the new map and the driving beats of the music. Definitely a step up from the existing content.

I’d suggest color coding the keys and doors however, so that it’s clear if you spot a key behind a fence that it is or isn’t the one you need.

Also, continued ambient warning klaxon during reactor overload please? It’s a bit odd that there is no audible warning after the initial one.

VR performance is terrible when bots explode, in 2D it’s fine though.

Overall a welcome update and feels very polished.

Yeah, I get poor performance with robot explosions too – but only multiple explosions. I’m not playing with VR either. As a test, I went into the lockdown room in the 2nd level (3 Skoll) and I had very bad temporary performance drops upon robot explosions. This doesn’t happen in Challenge Mode for me though. I think it has something to do with the reactor. I remember when the reactor was finally added to this game it had very bad performance problems.

The thing with the Security Keys is, you don’t need to worry about it. It’s a much simpler and better system. You grab 1 key, you have Level 1 access. Grab 2, you have Level 2 access. Grab 3, you have level 3 access. You’ll know because the security doors are numbered. If the door is red, you don’t have access yet.

They’ve already settled on this system, so they won’t be changing it. I find it to be far better anyway because now I know which security doors I have access to by simply looking at them. No problem.

Prepare for Overload…

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

A fantastic update! The new map plays really well. It’s compact yet offers a lot of tunnels and dangerously placed robots. The game starts to feel sufficiently hard, too. I’m still not sure about the joystick, though. I’ll have to spend more time with it, but so far it has felt inferior to mouse control.

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

Loving the new map as well! It really ramps up the tension with hidden bots and robots from generators pouring from the shadows in claustrophobic, vertical chambers from the first moment… Forced me to keep moving rather than taking things slowly and memorizing the layout. I love level designs that force me into combat in unfamiliar terrority without giving me a lot of time to process and memorize my environment. There’s a lot of intensity and even a very mild touch of survival horror in the new level, and it tests my combat and critical thinking skills rather than patience and strategy (although, to be fair, there is certainly a time to test one’s patience and strategy, too).

I think it’s the best SP level yet, and it ranks up there with some of my favorite Descent levels as well (D1 Level 11, 12, and 14 immediately spring to mind).

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Something tells me a few too many segments may have been marked “energy center”?

nop
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

It’s probably unfair to write this immediately after a comprehensive update but I fear it might never get addressed if I at least mention it when there is still time left.

The selection wheel can now be remapped to a joystick hat (Thrustmaster 16000). Unfortunately, 9 of 10 times I try to select a diagonal item I inevitably pick the adjacent horizontal or vertical item since it’s almost impossible to release both vertical and horizontal triggers exactly at the same time.

The holo guide menu offers no option to find an energy center. Although all 8 options are already mapped it’s quite wasteful. AFAIK the exit can only be reached after the reactor is destroyed and the reactor can only be reached if all security cards are found, so “Go to exit”, “Find reactor” and “Find security card” could be merged. The same goes for “Forget command” and “Deactivate” by defaulting to “Deactivate”. This would free lots of slots for “Find energy center” or “Find marker”.

Just in case you forgot an old upgrade bug. The “Headlight and flares consume no energy” upgrade still can’t be used instantly.

Edit: The exit can be reached, it just can’t be used. So “Find exit” should be kept.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

One other thing, this may not be a priority but I might as well call it out.

When the reactor countdown runs out, it feels a little bit unfinished – your ship just stops and you presumably die. D1/2 had a pretty neat fade-to-white thing where if you were really quick you could still make the exit – might be nice to see a modern version of something like that.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Thanks — Great feedback. The Holo-Guide options are far from final and your feedback is spot on.

I had forgotten about the fade-to-white countdown. I assume Luke has that planned…;)

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Not just the fade to white, but that sizzling sound as well indicating that you’re being nuked.

Prepare for Overload…

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Well, I’ve just had the opportunity to play the latest update. Here are my thoughts:

The Phoebe Peleus level was outstanding. Its verticality and maze-like layout was very satisfying, it took me a while to learn the layout. I took my time as usual, clearing up robots and exploring the rooms one by one. The suprise attacks was interesting, but not too annoying. Its dark ambiance was very neat, and I loved the trigger puzzles a lot. Makes me wish for those guided missiles :).

However, I noticed that the level didn’t had the ambient effects in it, but most noticeable was the quiet energy centers. And yes, the second energycen area was “overmarked” as Sirius mentioned:

Other than that, quite fun to play. Kudos to the designer of this level – especially for putting my favorite Overload Soundtrack! 😀

Now for the rear view…

I guess you forgot something?? 😀 😆 😀 😆 😀 😆
    This happens only when the cockpit mode is on, of course. Might want to fix it, say, move the rear view camera to actual butt of the ship?

Finally, I also join Sirius, regarding the Reactor meltdown stage. Instead of just blowing the ship up if the countdown hits zero, a very large damage that increases at a rate can be applied to the player while he/she is in the mine.

For now, that is all. Keep up the excellent work!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I would absolutely hate having my ship damaged while the countdown is occurring. Sirius was simply talking about the fade to white at the end of the countdown indicating you’re being nuked. Overload doesn’t have anything like that yet.

Prepare for Overload…

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

I would absolutely hate having my ship damaged while the countdown is occurring.

The damage only applies *after* countdown hits zero (T – -1 and below) 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: A tribute to Overload and its team Next Topic: Eighth Impressions