The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Drop 7, Build 83 released!

RSS Feed
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I would absolutely hate having my ship damaged while the countdown is occurring.

The damage only applies *after* countdown hits zero (T – -1 and below) 🙂

Oh right, yeah it doesn’t make sense in Descent that you hear the sizzling sound and you see the increasing white light from all the extreme nuclear radiation but your ship is unaffected.

Prepare for Overload…

SlyliSlyli
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

I am very happy with the direction and quality that is being put into this. Although I love and grew up with the original Descents, the fluidity and gameplay perfection in Overload is redefining the 6DoF experience in my opinion. Many titles nowadays put emphasis on “peripheral” components such as photorealistic graphics, massive environments, deep storylines, complex objectives and grinding mechanics – but more often than not, gameplay is forgettable. In Overload it is turned upside down and gameplay is the defining element – maybe a bit oldschool action, but I believe its target audience should really appreciate it.

Every update is incrementally better than the previous, and this is no exception with Drop 7. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical as to how the single player campaign would feel like and I was not 100% sold on the look and feel of the first few released levels. But with the latest two SP maps -which are great- I am very confident that this is going into the right direction.

Graphics are simply amazing – although in the latest build, simultaneous explosions of multiple robots give noticeable stuttering even on good specs PC (GTX-1070, i7-6700, 16GB @ 1080p). I’ve seen others have mentioned that as well. In previous builds I didn’t notice this problem. Regarding “looks”, I am a bit indifferent to the player’s ship model though – somehow it lacks the “punch” of the original Pyro-GX. It looks like the equivalent of a Sports Utility Vehicle in space. Or, maybe I am just picky. 🙂

Sound design and music are top notch – absolutely no complaints here. Wouldn’t mind a few electro-industrial inspired tracks as well, i.e. a bit less ambient and a bit more aggression 😉 I guess this might come at later levels or boss battles though. The inclusion of the ambient sounds for the older levels was a really nice touch.

Regarding weapons, I love them.

Primaries have distinct roles and most of them are viable choices. My favorite primary weapons are Impulse (because of Classic Descent feel), Flak (good for close range spraying+stunning) and Crusher (in your face). Cyclone and Reflex are alright, and Driller is great for sniping – although in new builds, bots are closing the distance towards you somewhat faster – or so I figured. I don’t like Thunderbold much, although it is great against crowds.

Secondaries are always useful and it doesn’t really matter which one you have equipped as long as they are appropriately used. Worst thing that can happen in Challenge mode is to realize that “uh oh, I am out of secondaries!!”.Favorite secondaries are Falcon (dumb but again Classic Descent feel), Creepers (oh yea) and Missile Pods. For more annoying enemies, hunters and novas are amazing. Time bomb is a hilarious addition and it can actually save your “rear camera view” when things get overwhelmingly intense. Devastator is a bit underwhelming IMO and although useful against crowds, it is never MVP of the match – far from that. I would prefer lower capacity for it and more utility. Kind of Doom’s BFG room clearing ability.

Also in relation to weapons and load-outs in CM. Lately I have been imposing some restrictions to myself to spice things up. E.g. ONLY Impulse Cannon allowed (and not picking up other primaries) just to practice and see how far one can go. It would be interesting to have restricted mode high scores and see who is the king of impulse, or driller etc. In restricted mode the CM map would not spawn other primaries than the one(s) you have selected and in their place it would spawn energy or ammo.

The bots and AI is a pleasure to fight against – every bot has a distinct role and needs a different approach to deal with. I like that in current build the bots engage the player right away in CM. Difficulty feels about right among skill levels, although I am sure that AI aspects are still being fine tuned. Titans are a lot easier to handle in this build, but long range snipers are a lot more dangerous than earlier. All good fun though.

Lastly, I know that team will shift focus into multiplayer after release – but this game just begs for multiplayer component – even simple deathmatch without all the unnecessary and boring “modes” that the current crop of FPS are offering.

My apologies for the wall of text, but that’s what happens if one lurks a forum for too long before deciding to register! Keep up the great work and…. prepare for Descent!!

davesnevergrownup
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Games locks on exit from mine on Phoebe Peleus
    I’ve got a saved game where my position is close to the reactor. When I grab the invulnerability powerup and destroy the reactor I follow the holobot out of the mine and then the game locks with black screen. The final graphics do not include the mine location exploding, just the view of the ship emerging from the mine – don’t know if this is supposed to happen. I have to close down the program to recover; I’ve had this on both times that I’ve completed the level from the saved location.

Any logs/diagnostics I can take?

SkekzyzSkekzyz
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 26

One dumb UI suggestion, on CM weapon select screen, make the right mouse button select previous.

SkekzyzSkekzyz
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 26

Also would love to have a sound selector in the windows version only maybe that allows us to choose if we want the sound in headphones, hdmi, regular speakers, etc.

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 41

Love the new level!

cosmicd
    Participant
    Replies: 6

would it be silly to request guidebot to marker command ? I know it’s not practical if the marker location is nearby, but sometimes I’m placing a marker on a spot that I want to revisit later, to have a “guide to marker” feature would be great when I’m at the other end of the base 🙂

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Good idea. I’ll put it on my list. Not sure it will get done as we’re being more selective about feature additions.

Thanks!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Good idea. I’ll put it on my list. Not sure it will get done as we’re being more selective about feature additions.

Thanks!

I posted this idea back in May. https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/overload-drop-4-available-on-steam-early-access/#post-13910

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: A tribute to Overload and its team Next Topic: Eighth Impressions