The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games DXX-Rebirth

RSS Feed
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    zicozico
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hello fellow pilots!

First day I heard of Overload, was a very happy day for me. It seems to bring back everything I loved about the original Descent. And it really brings together this whole fantastic community. Which is why I would like to make this thread. Some of you may already know me and/or this little hobby project of mine but others may not. So I would like to chime in and introduce you to DXX-Rebirth.

DXX-Rebirth is a collection source ports for Descent 1 & 2. I started this project in September of 2005 in an effort to be able to play these games on Linux to which I just switched to a year before. And of course I had to play Descent. But DOSBox wasn’t really “there” at this point (or rather my CPU wasn’t powerful enough to emulate a DOS system being able to run Descent).
    Quickly I discovered the D1X and D2X ports which were based on the source code release of the original games. But they had a few issues by themselves. So eventually I started tinkering with them by myself. Eventually I had something I wanted to share with others and this was when I uploaded them – on September 9th 2005. I never really expected anyone to use what I did but… I was surprised to say the least.

I never really wanted to have a “changed” version of Descent. It was supposed to feel right – bring back this nostalgia of 1995. This is why I had to back Overload – as it does the same thing! Since so many people are now using Rebirth, I started to add new things (all optional of course) and tried to keep them “nostalgia-compatible”. It’s a challenge but I love this game so much so I happily take it.

By now we are rewriting large parts of the engine – consolidate it, tear down old limitations, optimize it, etc. And I am happy I have a lot of helping hands assisting me in doing this – as I would never be able to do it myself. For that – for this amazing and supportive community – I am eternally grateful. I feel honored to be part of this! To see Luke Schneider play my port on stream – I have to say, this was like a dream come true.

If you want to check out DXX-Rebirth, you can find it on http://www.dxx-rebirth.com and our current source (with the huge rewrite) on GitHub: https://github.com/dxx-rebirth

The Descent Rangers have also created their own variant of Rebirth – the Retro Mod – made specifically for their competitive matches which makes me very happy. Check it out! At this point I would like to thank the Retro developers and the Rangers community for their support so we could easily adapt a lot of their changes into Rebirth.

Of course all this would never have been possible if it weren’t for PARALLAX to make this great game and releasing the source to the public. Mike, Matt, Luke and all the others, I tip my hat. THANK YOU! And I wish you nothing but the best for Overload. I can’t wait to play it!

And that’s pretty much it. Stay awesome, guys! πŸ™‚

MaxMax
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 24

Bravo!
    Thank you, Chris, for DXX-Rebirth. It has been my go-to version of Descent for about a decade now.
    It was good to see via the twitch stream that Luke is a fan as well! πŸ™‚

visionvision
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 38

zico, thanks for doing such a tremendous job maintaining d1x-rebirth. I know there were some playability issues early on but I haven’t had a single issue since 0.58.1. It’s fantastic and all the enhancements are exactly what they should be: enhancements. They don’t change the feel of the original.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Well, feel’s a very subjective thing especially when it comes to what sort of enhancements change it for you.
    I like that Rebirth is relatively easy to set up for LAN multiplayer especially since I do have a small group of friends and we mainly just want to sit down and play most of the time. And anarchy’s still as fun as ever.
    Gotta admit I don’t really like the look of the bot explosions compared to DOS. Kinda spoils co-op for me.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Cheeseness
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 22

I want to chime in and say thanks for the Rebirth project. It’s helped keep Descent alive and accessible for many people πŸ™‚

PumoPumo
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 27

I like both Rebirth and D2X-XL, I’m so glad that those source ports exists today!

And although XL has a special place in my heart, I also appreciate the effort on making Rebirth such a good and easy port to use.

Wish you the best Zico! πŸ™‚

http://pumosoft.3d-get.de – Pumo Software official Website
    – Pumo Mines progress: 60%

Obi-Wan KenobiObi-Wan Kenobi
    Participant
    Replies: 25

DXX-Rebirth is my fave since it runs on my 3dfx Voodoo cards without issues, it’s more retro PC Friendly, even tho XL is fabulous for new gen hardware so both do me a great deed. Even being I value my 3dfx cards the most so Rebirth is it all for me πŸ™‚

Holder Of The World’s Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
    https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/hello-there-here-a-descent-collectors-intro-8/

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

I was hoping zico would pop in at some point. I’ve loved his work!

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 48

Thank you, Zico! I saw the soundtracks in the downloads, that was very nice!

urungusurungus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

Congrats to the whole Descent community for keeping a great game alive!

I haven’t been very active, (I’m an old Wlidcard member) but very much appreciate all of your efforts.

Of course a special thanks to the Overload team, the Sol Contingency team, Sublevel Zero and recent others.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

Congrats to the whole Descent community for keeping a great game alive!

We’ve kept the original two playing. D3 is still playable on modern PCs, but lord knows it would benefit from community improvements with the source code. But, that’s another discussion.

toumaltoumal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 15

Thanks for the DXX efforts, many memories were relived and new people introduced to Descent thanks to it ^^

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Mapping/Level Design Next Topic: Other Platforms?