The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Early Access drop #8.5 now available

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

We are pleased to announce the public release of Overload Drop 8.5, build #104 on Steam.

There are no new major pieces of content, such as a level, so we didn’t update the major number. But there are numerous enhancements, many of which came as suggestions from the players.

Changes in this version include:

Additions:

* New speaker mode options for sound (mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, 7.1,
    Pro Logic II). Requires multi-channel speaker systems.
    * CM Weapon Upgrades can now be chosen. Primary/Secondary upgrades will
    try the equipped weapon first, then others. If that weapon is maxed out,
    other weapons will be tried. If you don’t like the upgrade randomly
    given, press the Holo-Guide button within 10 seconds of receiving the
    upgrade to switch to the other upgrade for that weapon.
    * Sticky Flares. Hold the flare button to shoot. These last for 15 minutes
    and are useful as “breadcrumbs” to mark where you’ve been.
    * “Offline” indicator for when new Leaderboard scores won’t be saved.
    * Primary energy weapon shots bounce off of Forcefields. This indicates
    that the forcefields are invulnerable.
    * Loading screen with progress bar.
    * Mouse axes can now be set to turn (default), slide, or roll.
    * If the player uses the slide modifier, they can now invert pitch without
    inverting slide (for KB & joystick/gamepad).

Removals:

* Log entries no longer display on the Automap. They shouldn’t have been
    there in the first place đŸ˜‰

Tweaks:

* Optimizations – Particle Effects, Lighting, Robot Deaths, Projectiles,
    Pathfinding, Textures, Auto-Map computations, etc.
    * Lots of explosion/debris effects changes (both for optimizations &
    aesthetics).
    * Holo-Guide now automatically moves to next Objective.
    * Changed where saved games live (no longer their own folder).
    * Added difficulty to in-game Save descriptions.
    * Missile Pod Pickup model updated.
    * Changed a setting for playing on the Oculus – now if it’s plugged in,
    it will *not* use it by default if you just run the executable. Now
    there’s an ‘Oculus’ bat file instead of a ‘no VR’ bat file. On Steam,
    use the Oculus option.
    * The Reactor now has a short ‘meltdown’ phase after being destroyed
    before the countdown starts.
    * Updated normal player death, death from Reactor, and Exit Sequences.
    * Updated various menu screens for alignment, etc. To view leaderboards
    in the new Challenge Level selection screen, press Space (keyboard)
    or the top face button (gamepad).

Game Balancing:

* Cyclone – Ramps up in fire speed; faster; more stun; kickback; and
    narrower spread.
    * Crusher – Less Spread/Damage/Ammo, no Falloff.
    * Tweaks to Thunderbolt, Driller, Flak.
    * Limited how many melee robots can be spawned at a time in CM (Shredder/
    Scorpion/Golem)
    * Reduced Ace/Insane robot ‘bonuses’ a bit (projectile speed, burst size,
    player damage, robot leading)

Fixes:

* Fixed some occluder issues (also helps with framerate).
    * Fixed some audio effects not playing.
    * Fixed an issue with Holo-Guide not playing nice with lockdowns.
    * Fixed an issue with Holo-Guide being stunned by Time Bomb.
    * Fixed an issue with some controllers not being kept as primary between
    sessions.
    * Fixed an issue with too many audio events causing performance hitches.
    * Fixed an issue with invisible lava.
    * Improved explosion distortion effects.
    * Added some missing backers to the credits.

LemurFromTheIdLemurFromTheId
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 24

* Loading screen with progress bar.

I’m encountering a strange bug that makes the game literally unplayable. The loading screen only says “Overload”, when it obviously should say “Prepare for Overload”.

Thunderbolt — an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

achimzellernue
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Sorry, but since I installed 8.5 from Steam, the game is completely unplayable.
    The menues are confused and there is no chance to start the game.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

Sorry, but since I installed 8.5 from Steam, the game is completely unplayable.
    The menues are confused and there is no chance to start the game.

Sorry you’re having problems, achimzellernue. When you say the ‘menus are confused’, are you seeing them in a combination of a foreign language and/or gibberish? A couple people had an issue on the Steam forums where the language was somehow set to German with this update (which isn’t fully supported yet).

There’s no way in-game to fix it on the released build, but it can be manually fixed pretty easily. Go to where the game settings are saved, find the correct *.xprefs file (default.xprefs if you’re using the default pilot), and change O_LANGUAGE:1:I to O_LANGUAGE:0:I. Let me know if you need clarifying on any of this. And sorry you hit this.

The game settings are saved differently for different OS’s as follows:
    PC: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Revival\Overload
    Mac: Users//Library/Application Support/Revival/Overload
    Linux: Home/
    /.config/unity3d/Revival/Overload

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team

For those that want to play the Outpost level, there is a new* version of it available at: http://media.revivalprod.com/Outpost.zip. Instructions on how to get it to work/where to put the files are in the readme in the zip file.

* It’s not actually new, but it needed to be re-exported to work on the latest build.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

Rez seems to be stuck @ 720p. Game loading bar is annoying.
    Other than that it works fine.
    7.1 mode works!

Not too worried about Rez, maybe there a way to make it blockier/choppy like Descent/Minecraft, its actualy funner that way! The glossy homedepot floor tiles still ruins it. đŸ˜€

EDIT:

Son was playing in BackFire, heard rap/hip hop modern type music, A BIG THUMBS DOWN!

gat this $%^& outta there!!

too much “orchestra” too, sometimes it seems like were in a Spider Man movie.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Just some quick feedback.

The optimizations you did for the sake of performance seem to be working very well. I just played Backfire which was giving me performance problems before – especially after a Phantom comes in. The performance would get sluggish and laggy and would remain that way even after getting rid of all the Phantoms.

With this build (104), it’s butter-smooth. Even after a Phantom comes in, the performance seems to remain butter-smooth.

I also like the new Super Ogre. What’s he shooting?! It’s cool.

Trainee is super fun. It starts off almost too easy, but after a few hundred kills, I have to get serious. I love it.

I love the loading bar. It is always nice to know that a game is actually loading up. I don’t like just waiting and hoping it will launch. However, I agree that it would be fun if it said “Prepare for Overload…”

I love all the new effects in the menu system.

The new fire effects on the robots is fantastic.

This build is breathing new life into Overload for me and I’m playing it a lot again!

The menu button misalignment bug remains. I died in CM and then the buttons were all misaligned. Resetting my resolution fixed it.

Do you remember a long time ago I reported a strange short “BEEP” (or really, “BOOP”) sound? Well, it happened again and I don’t know how to reproduce it. It’s a very up-front sound, mono, in my face kinda. It seems like I triggered it somehow by playing aggressively.

Prepare for Overload…

lxman
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Love the latest!

I am having one strange thing though. I am playing on Ubuntu Artful. If I right-click the Steam icon in the task-bar and select Overload, everything starts up ok, except I have no sound. But if I go into my ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Overload directory and execute ./Overload.x86_64, the sound works just fine.

Excellent work on the game. Keep it up! I’d pay full price again at the release for it seeing what it has become.

MentalAbsenceMentalAbsence
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 9

Great performance improvements – the game is noticeably smoother on my GTX 760.

In case this hasn’t been brought up yet, there’s a minor confusing UI element in the upgrade menu. The headers (“Summary”, “Primaries”, “Secondaries”, “Ship”) look really clickable, and it feels off that they’re not buttons (that’s the first thing I tried to activate them, before – “I’ll try scrolling, that’s a good trick”). Definitely minor though.

I’m having a ton of fun on the new build so far. Thanks for all the hard work!

ahelpfultouristahelpfultourist
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Ixman,
    While running Artful, we have so far been unable to duplicate the sound loss locally. Because of this, we think it is possible we aren’t following the exact same steps you are.

Would you be willing to answer a few questions to help track this issue down?
    1) What is your version and type of Linux (just copy paste the info from terminal after running “uname =a”)? Note: The equals sign should be a dash.
    2) What are your in game sound settings, specifically, what speaker layout did you select (stereo, 5.1, 7.1)?
    3) Do you have a dedicated audio card?
    4) When running Overload, are you running it from a shortcut you added to the taskbar or directly through right-clicking the steam icon (or another way) – If possible, include a screen shot of your steam menu just before starting the game?

I know that some of this information can seem incredibly redundant, but we need to be very exact while trying to reproduce issues like this. Every detail that sets your system, how you run the game, and your settings apart from our internal system could be the key.

Thanks.

fletchfletch
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 4

What a great game. Keeps getting better and better. I am so glad to finally have sliding on the mouse axis. I have been playing Descent for years with my controls set like that. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Not impossible, but so much better to play the way I am used to. One bug though in it… the invert y axis doesn’t seem to work at all. At least for sliding, it seemed to always work with the turning before sliding on the axis was put in.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team

We just did a quick update to the build to address 2 issues.

1. If your computer is set to certain languages and you create a new pilot (or start the game for the first time), all of the text will be psuedo-translated/gibberish. This should be fixed now.

2. There was an issue with Joysticks where the sliders could be set backwards from what you map. This is fixed now (you shouldn’t need to remap them if they were backwards – it should just work, but if your slider suddenly reverses, this is why).

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

Having an issue with custom controller controls. We use the Xbox One gamepads and you cant select the right trigger for forward and the left for backwards. It revert to either r+, r- or l+, l-, they are not independent, please fix!! tried on 3 pcs, issue started with 8.5!!

Mani-aXMani-aX
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

Have been playing the Steam release for most part. but from time to time I will download the DRM free version and play on my laptop. I have noticed that the time-bomb for the DRM free downloaded version is not available as a selection in survival mode vs the steam version where it is. (you can get it while playing in game for both versions, just not a first item selection in the DRM free version) any reason for this?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Have been playing the Steam release for most part. but from time to time I will download the DRM free version and play on my laptop. I have noticed that the time-bomb for the DRM free downloaded version is not available as a selection in survival mode vs the steam version where it is. (you can get it while playing in game for both versions, just not a first item selection in the DRM free version) any reason for this?

That which is available via the DRM-free download link isn’t a different version. It’s actually identical to what is downloaded via Steam (they didn’t create a separate version for downloading DRM-free). Even so, I downloaded Overload via the DRM-free download link just now to test this and I can select the Time Bomb before I play a CM game. So, it probably means you don’t have enough XP on your laptop to be able to select the Time Bomb. If that’s not the case, then the download must’ve been corrupted but somehow only affects this one thing.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: CM double item spawns (v0.8) Next Topic: Yes it's an Honest to Goodness Lefty Sidewinder!