The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Early Access drop #8.5 now available

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

foghorn2 –
    Short: I created an issue for it with our controller guy. For the short term, the local pilot files can be edited, so you can manually set the controls as you like. Not ideal, but it’ll get it set how you’d like.

Longer: The triggers on controllers aren’t simply buttons, they are more like an axis with the center pushed to one side. When other axis are set to one direction, the other half of the axis is automatically set to the opposite direction. For these other ones, it helps speed up mapping and makes it less likely to accidentally set them wrong.

The xconfig file for the pilot you’re using is the file that would need to be changed. If you go to where it lives on your computer (PC: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Revival\Overload, Mac: Users//Library/Application Support/Revival/Overload, Linux: Home//.config/unity3d/Revival/Overload), you can manually edit it how you’d like. I’d created a dummy profile, map the triggers to something else (like Fire Primary & Secondary), and copy/paste them to the right place in your pilot.

I created an item for Matt to look into this – I realize that using the triggers to go forward/back is common in racing games, for instance. So you probably aren’t the only one that this is messing with ;).

Mani-aX – Looks like TwoCables beat me to the punch. What’s your XP on the laptop computer? If you look in the Challenge Mode upgrades, you’ll see that Timebomb (and Thunderbolt) are things that have to be unlocked to set as default. You might not have enough XP on the Laptop if you don’t play on it regularly.

Mani-aXMani-aX
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

ok, thanks for the tip on the XP. wasn’t sure that was an unlock. is there a way to copy my Steam player profile over to the laptop? that would be awesome.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

yep, configured much like a racing game.

My son finally has said that he liked Overload a bit better than Descent Rebirth 2

good going! hes excited about the multiplayer too and xbox one version, XB will be so much easier to start/play for him.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team

Yup, you can copy over your pilot info to your laptop. Just go to the location that we store local data, and copy the three pilot files (default if you didn’t make your own – so default.xprefs, etc). You can also just copy the whole folder if you want to go simple/overkill.

PC: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Revival\Overload
    Mac: Users//Library/Application Support/Revival/Overload
    Linux: Home//.config/unity3d/Revival/Overload

Mani-aXMani-aX
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

wanted to chime in and say thanks, that worked great!

deftflux
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 13

Sorry I’m a bit late, but I finally got around to playing some more Overload! (Can’t believe it’s been almost 2 years since I was active on the forums!)

I just wanted to chime in about the axis controls that were mentioned. I also use a similar setup with the PS3 controller. I generally have to use a program like GlovePIE (or the jspie program I wrote) to get the mappings that I like, but it would be better if Overload just supported them out-of-the-box. Especially for the console releases.

One thing I find lacking is the same thing foghorn mentioned. I use the two left shoulder buttons for forward and reverse. One is an axis, the other normally shows up as a button. Especially for gamepads, each direction of an axis should be treated separately. I can understand having the other direction automatically filled in for the sake of convenience if it’s not already mapped, but we should be able to override that.

The other issue with gamepads is that it’s hard to cram in enough controls for 6DoF. Generally, I want to be able to control all types of movement and fire primary and secondary at the same time. I accomplish this using the two thumbsticks (including clicking the thumbsticks) and four shoulder buttons. That’s just enough for 6DoF movement and fire primary/secondary. But what about boost? I can’t use some other button for boost, because then I’d have to take one of my thumbs off a thumbstick and lose control of some axes of movement. That might be OK for some other seldom-used function, but boost is part of movement, and I want to be able to move freely.

The solution is simple, really. Forward + reverse = boost. Normally, forward + reverse would be invalid; you can’t go both directions at once. It’s actually quite natural to use this as boost. I’ve been using it for afterburner in Descent for quite a while. I can only achieve this currently using special software to interpret the inputs and control a virtual joystick that is picked up by the game.

So consider this a feature request, please. Ideally, I’d like to see the ability to assign any button combo to any function. That would give the most flexibility. But I would understand if that is too complicated, especially this late in development. At a minimum, though, I think an option to enable a forward + reverse = boost combo, similar to the current boost + fire = smash attack option, would be really great for gamepad players.

I’m not trying to be nit-picky, though. This is an awesome game! I think what makes it so great is the fluid movement. The feel of the controls is spot on. Great work so far!

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

The way they messed up with the controller interface is not a good thing, it was working just fine before this drop. Hopefully its fixed soon. Im not going to mess and edit files to get this working the way it should.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team

Yeah, sorry about that change. For people that move just using the joysticks/thumbpads, it was a good way to make mapping faster & reduce possible errors. If you want to fly with driving-like controls, not so much. It is actually back to the way it used to be (so you can map the triggers to forward/reverse, etc) for the next drop. We *just* released it to the beta backers, and once we fix some bugs, will release it to everyone.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Thanks sfischer, looking forward to it. I originally played descent with a gravis gamepad with the real screw on protruding stick, a pad and stick in one. Since my son plays lots of racing games on the 1s, we got the Xbox controller for the pc for this game. Thus we configured the controller like a racing game for foward/reverse, and the left stick like my old gravis for up/down left/right and the right buttons for firing. Perfect!!

readymanreadyman
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 22

Hopefully the MP lvls will have bit more height to them.
    As it is now, the SP lvls are so confined, that dodging is extremely difficult since there’s little space to get out of the way without bumping into ceilings/walls.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Hopefully the MP lvls will have bit more height to them.
    As it is now, the SP lvls are so confined, that dodging is extremely difficult since there’s little space to get out of the way without bumping into ceilings/walls.

Yeah, that’s intentional. They have always been aiming for that claustrophobic feeling that D1 and D2 has, and they’re still aiming for that.

Prepare for Overload…

readymanreadyman
    Kickstarter Backer

There’s claustrophobic, and then there’s no room to manoever.
    No room to dodge is not good for competition, as it becomes a chuck fest of missiles and spread fire weapons.

Both D1 and D2 had plenty of room to dodge and manoever, so as long as Overload MP is like these two, it’ll be fine…but what is in SP now is not that.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

There’s claustrophobic, and then there’s no room to manoever.
    No room to dodge is not good for competition, as it becomes a chuck fest of missiles and spread fire weapons.

Both D1 and D2 had plenty of room to dodge and manoever, so as long as Overload MP is like these two, it’ll be fine…but what is in SP now is not that.

There’s plenty of room to dodge in many of the current CM levels. You’re talking as though all of the levels have nothing but 1-cube tunnels or something.

Prepare for Overload…

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

If the MP levels are too small for you there’s always the map editor that they’ll be releasing 😉

readymanreadyman
    Kickstarter Backer

If the MP levels are too small for you there’s always the map editor that they’ll be releasing 😉

Was thinking the same thing.
    The first seven D1 levels were great for dogfighting, tight but with room to maneuver
    Hopefully the MP levels in Overload will be comparable.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: CM double item spawns (v0.8) Next Topic: Yes it's an Honest to Goodness Lefty Sidewinder!