The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Aaaand we’re back! Smaller changes this patch cycle than last. I’m skipping the SP campaign on pribciple until full release, so the new level isnt included here. Since robots were pulled and there aren’t too many new adds/changes to CM stuff, this is a bit shorter than impressions past.

I think the tweaks here have made stuff a bit easier; my first Syrinx/Hotshot run was 115 kills but second one cleared 400 — PBs seem possible with this one, but stay tuned for more feedback once I’m better-practiced with the game again (and this patch cycle)!

Let me know what you all think — props for tuning in and keep an eye on my youtube and twitch channels (twitch.tv/chillybus) for hopefully more regular play going forward!

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Holy shit!!!

The sound design on “Skoll” is amazing. It is so good. So responsive and atmospheric. This is what “Descent” has wanted to do for a long time but couldn’t pull it off until now.

If all the levels are getting that “sound design” treatment with echo spaces and flat spaces and the way robots are heard in different areas it adds a whole new meaning to the game.

Thanks for that attention to detail, devs, and please add that to all the levels.

I haven’t kept track of new or old levels very well but I played one that was new to me just now and it was a great experience. Although I appreciate the difficult settings, I have a lot of fun on the easy setting because it causes robots to miss and be slow and there is a bit more of what I want in terms of playing with them.

Wow, great work.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Put some hours in last night trying to get accustomed to the difficulty — reavs/guards/hydras/ogre rushes are still pretty annoying. When you roll a pool with only one type of hitscan bots though, this game is money. Flying against only lasers/missiles is *really* fun — I genuinely wouldn’t miss having incoming driller fire removed from the game whatsoever. The match I was in in the first impressions vid — the second I’d flown in several weeks — ended at around 400 kills, and this one — the third — came less than 10 short of the record: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/180960705

PBs are definitely possible with this one, I think. Still needs some practice (and some work on the backend) but so far I’m leaning towards 83 being better than 7x in terms of difficulty.

ALSO: countdown invuln bug persists — if it’s active as time expires you can play well past the buzzer.

ALSO ALSO: Some important audio cues like shredders and reaver spawns got wayyyyyy quieter, and scorpions are almost silent! I can deal with but not a huge fan of those changes.

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Just realized this isn’t the best place for my general comments. Didn’t mean to bogart the thread. Sorry about that.

I want to ask about the “quiet” bots … are you playing with any music?

I’ve been playing without music, just some nice stereo headphones and the ambiance and ability to listen for danger is a lot more “survival”-y. It’s a fun and challenging way to play, of course, besides just memorization.

Using light to explore and watch for danger, listening for danger … this game is turning out to be a really cool survival experience with better depth than the originals in terms of lighting and sound and what they can offer for sci-fi survival horror mixed with bullet hell. Or something like that. It’s just what I would hope they would concentrate on and I’m liking that.

I can understand if a threat can be too subtle though. And it definitely would be nice to occasionally have the sense that you can actually sneak up on things without them noticing.

Though it fights against replayability after you’ve memorized the maps, having at least one difficulty level where you can be a predator and largely see them before they see you and be surprised by their position and watch them before you attack is a fun way to play through the campaign at least once.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

I’ve been playing without music, just some nice stereo headphones and the ambiance and ability to listen for danger is a lot more “survival”-y. It’s a fun and challenging way to play, of course, besides just memorization.

Using light to explore and watch for danger, listening for danger … this game is turning out to be a really cool survival experience with better depth than the originals in terms of lighting and sound and what they can offer for sci-fi survival horror mixed with bullet hell.

Glad to hear other people are playing with a bit of a more ‘stealthy’ style, as most of the videos I watch are from people who go straight into the thick of it at full speed. I love taking my time and sniping/listening/cautiously exploring. ofc that’s not quite as possible in the robot generator areas. I wish the guidebot could be ordered to find the robot generators myself!

100% agree about the sound design, too 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Drop 7, Build 83 released! Next Topic: Will we get this in Overload?