The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

I thought it might be good to have somewhere to post artsy stuff, I had a go at creating a 3d decal:
    Triangle decal
    Interactive version at:

Game art

• Does anybody know whether unity dictates a metal or specular workflow for PBL shading?
    • What are acceptable tri limits for this sort of thing on modern games? The model currently has 3488 tris, but I could probably cut that in half.
    Chris ClaflinChris Claflin
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Unity gives you the option to choose either Standard or Standard (Specular setup) shaders. Standard uses a metallic texture with a smoothness mask packed in the alpha channel.

Poly counts on decal geometry should be as low as possible, especially decals that will repeat a bunch of times. Part of the reason being that currently (this may change) collision geometry is the same as rendered geometry for level editor created stuff. A detail that is more unique and maybe intended for use once in a room could have a few extra polygons, just keep in mind the collision situation and general performance of the room.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Chris, love your work, can’t wait to see what robots you cook up next. Would you mind sharing a bit about the scale, specifically how wide this item is:
    http://www.raphroberts.com/temp/vent.jpg
    I think I recall Mike saying decals are best kept less than half a metre deep because of Robot pathfinding, is that correct?

Chris ClaflinChris Claflin
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Thanks, I appreciate it.

That large block mesh is a full segment wide (4m) and is part of the level geometry. Because it comes off the wall as far as it does, it’s a good idea to build it this way so robots pathfind around it properly. 0.5m is about as far as a decal should protrude from the walls, beyond that bots can start to get hung up.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer

Here’s another one. I would like to know how people usually smooth corners of low poly objects using normal maps or height maps (there is no edge smoothing on this object).

ShadesmasterShadesmaster
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 43

So 4m x 4m x 4m is a standard ‘Descent’-sized hallway in this game…

That’s two ships wide and two ships tall… Hmmm good to know good to know…. 😉

ON a side note, would obtaining a program such as PROBUILDER for Unity 5 allow me to properly flesh out BSP layouts for future Overload compatability? I wonder….

https://m.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/zs551/for_unity_devsbsp_tool_for_unity_3d_that_lets_you/

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

Bake from high-poly. Be careful how you do it though. This page explains a few things you have to keep in mind when rendering a normal map – ignore the bits on setting up software if they’re not relevant to you: http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/Normal_Map_Tutorial.html

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Darkhorse! I was thinking that is the best way to do it. I think I just tried to extend my smoothing too far. Hard to define at which point you need to stop using a normal map and use actual geometry 🙂 I’ll give it another shot cheers.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: PYROSHIP GIFT Next Topic: Descent 1 & 2: AMAZING. Descent 3?