The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Feedback from a younger generation

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Overload is yet to be embraced by a younger generation, as Kickstarter backers tend to be older people, and we are also the ones who remember the original game. Revival will see great success if a new generation of gamers are drawn to the game, and I think it is great that 6DoF games are making a comeback.

My kids are now around the same age I was when I first discovered descent. They have been sharing in my excitement watching the game development, so I asked them what they think would help make the game appeal to themselves and to their friends. Hardly a big sample size, but here’s the perspective of 2 younger people:

-If there was steam workshop support for the custom levels etc
    -If the multiplayer was easy (e.g “join via steam”) and didn’t involve opening ports etc

I’d be very interested to hear people’s perspectives on this 🙂 My kids use steam for everything so obviously their perspective doesn’t account for PS4/Xbox gamers

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Thanks, bemosa — great post!

We definitely need to go beyond the Descent base to be successful. Some of the best input we can get is from people who play action games, but have never played a 6dof game. What attracts them or turns them away from Overload. Getting friends/family to give the demo a try and give feedback would be very helpful.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

I’ve seen a lot of younger players pick up D1 in recent years. A lot of the Descent Rangers are guys in their early 20s who play mostly modern games (Dota2 and Minecraft get a ton of play) but who fell in love with 6dof.

Certainly, minimum hassle is important. The pain involved in getting any version of Descent running on a modern system is too much for a lot of people (and that’s with a good, stable installation program.) People want a game that they can buy on steam, add to their library, and play without having to mess around with settings or config files or out-of-game level downloads or especially ports.

One of the difficult transitions a lot of people have coming from other genres is that they’re used to the “see it, shoot it, it dies” mentality, where you get your crosshair on a target and you click and instantly land a hit and there’s blood and explosions. The idea of using your slow-moving weapons to control space, and creating hits by closing off escape routes, is a tricky one. I think this is something that can be taught throughout single player, as well as in a tutorial level, but it’s something a lot of people don’t *really* get until they’ve played years of multi. (And that’s OK — people don’t have to be awesome at the game to have fun.)

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Ease of use is the best way to get the younger generation involved. Having it easy to play, make levels, join MP games is a must. PXO made MP simple back in the day. But building levels was always and will always be a hard thing. Trust me, I’ve tried and I just can’t get it.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Ease of use is the best way to get the younger generation involved. ..But building levels was always and will always be a hard thing.

One advantage people have these days is youtube.. presuming Overload players make some ‘hello world’ tutorial videos on creating a simple map, I think this could potentially draw a new fan base to the game.

Or is making levels truly like Rocket science to most people?

My kids mod Terraria and Minecraft, and learn it all from youtube. If (IF!) I can work out the level editor I hope to make tutorial videos and put them online.

Delirium
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

i feel like there could be some synergy to capitalize on with those younger users who have grown up in the minecraft era. Now that Overload has reverted back to a cube based building block..Overload could be the logical next step for a lot of players who want to take their building to the next level. That is essentially how i became so addicted to descent was through DMB2. A powerful and easy-to-use level editor may very well be one of the most important keys to holding onto a younger generation. I myself am super excited to introduce my boys to the world of level editing..my oldest son just took hold of a joystick for the first time..and he’s 2 🙂

IonIon
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 27

I sort-of grew up during the Descent era??? It was basically the only serious game of the era my parents would let me touch besides other nonviolent classics like Commander Keen or American shmups like Raptor and tons of other DOS classics. They got more lenient as the years went on and got my hands on other stuff too. Many games I only played rented or with friends as we didn’t have much money.

Oh, and I despise hitscan. I really, really do. When I finally got around to playing things like DooM and Duke Nukem, it was the first thing that made me mad and made it nearly unplayable. It’s only good for bypassing the caveat of games that don’t have shooting around corners when you absolutely should (such as Warframe).

Also, Keen House, the guys behind Miner Wars, built Space Engineers using their engine, which is sorta cube-based like Minecraft, but more engineer-y and uses a realistic, fully Newtonian physics model. Obviously given their roots it’s fully 6dof, whether you’re on foot or flying something.

punished blart on steam

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

I’m not part of the younger generation anymore, but a few suggestions:

– “single player” competition, leaderboards, sharing runs (I’ve no idea how Devil Daggers allows complete playback of any run, but it’s a phenomenal feature), game modifiers (eg. missiles only, instagib etc)
    – unlockable extreme difficulty mode
    – workshop and mods
    – a strong tutorial particularly when it comes to ship control and level navigation (this was the number one thing that put my friends off Descent back in the day, getting their head around those first few disorientating minutes).
    – a variety of multiplayer modes (coming later, I know)
    – zombie mode and survival elements (NO, I AM ACTUALLY JOKING)

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I’m not part of the younger generation anymore, but a few suggestions:

– “single player” competition, leaderboards, sharing runs (I’ve no idea how Devil Daggers allows complete playback of any run, but it’s a phenomenal feature), game modifiers (eg. missiles only, instagib etc)
    – unlockable extreme difficulty mode
    – workshop and mods
    – a strong tutorial particularly when it comes to ship control and level navigation (this was the number one thing that put my friends off Descent back in the day, getting their head around those first few disorientating minutes).
    – a variety of multiplayer modes (coming later, I know)
    – zombie mode and survival elements (NO, I AM ACTUALLY JOKING)

We already have SP competition because we already have leaderboards for the Challenge Mode levels.

Traditionally, Descent has always had 5 difficulty levels: Trainee, Rookie, Hotshot, Ace and Insane. We’ve never had any sort of unlockable difficulty level, but it would be an interesting concept provided Insane isn’t as insane as it was in Descent.

I’m not sure what you mean by a workshop, but we’ll have a level builder/editor and we would get mod tools if we meet our first stretch goal.

If things stay the same with the existence of this 6DoF Tutorial mission which is now being called Training Mission in the latest build, I don’t think we’ll need a tutorial. All anyone has to do is fly around for a while before they see the first bot, and the first room is plenty big enough for that. On top of that, controlling the ship in Overload is far easier than it was in Descent, especially in the last few builds starting with the August 2016 Demo.

lol even though you’re joking, it could be a fun little hidden thing. Like, the bots would just constantly come toward you instead of maneuvering and dodging, and instead of shooting you they would instead drain your energy just like that giant yellow E-Bandit bot does in Descent 2.

Prepare for Overload…

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Well, the unlockable thing could be a “hardcore” mode… you only get one life and if you die, that’s it.

Playing D1 on Insane with such a stipulation is pretty nearly impossible, but people have definitely tried.

SigmaSigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

LOL Really hardcore, but it can be fun.
    Cheats for single are also needed then))))
    But God forbid, it will be in multiplayer

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I’m not sure what you mean by a workshop, but we’ll have a level builder/editor and we would get mod tools if we meet our first stretch goal.

Pretty sure he means steam workshop or else some other official place to upload and download custom content. Cuz I can imagine steam workshop isn’t ideal in a game that’s perfectly able to be played and modded without steam.
    Could be something built into the game itself like Doom 4’s level browser, or it could be something like this site: https://www.mania-exchange.com/

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

No respawn game mode is definitely worth a look, it adds a very different and challenging gameplay experience for no cost in development time.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

I have a 7 yr and 14 yr old. They like Descent 2 RE-Birth as is. What would make it better for them is it being on a console instead of a HTPC. And you are already doing that. Thanks!!

I bought a XBOX ONE S in anticipation of this game. We cant wait.

Not into Steam and its complexities of playing a game.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I have a 7 yr and 14 yr old. They like Descent 2 RE-Birth as is. What would make it better for them is it being on a console instead of a HTPC. And you are already doing that. Thanks!!

I bought a XBOX ONE S in anticipation of this game. We cant wait.

Not into Steam and its complexities of playing a game.

Steam doesn’t have any complexities of playing a game. You just launch your game from inside the Steam window. What’s so complex about that?

Also, Overload on the PC won’t be Steam-only. If you want Overload on the PC, then you get it on Steam and you get a DRM-free copy. Yeah, you get both.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: XBOX ONE S Next Topic: Mac gamepad support