The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Feedback from a younger generation

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Super88
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

Steam doesn’t have any complexities of playing a game. You just launch your game from inside the Steam window. What’s so complex about that?

Most people are not very bright that’s why online drm, mmo’s, f2p and microtransactions became a thing. AKA people are not rational. They are lazy and want to spend the least amount of energy. Technically steam is an impedement, aka you have to login and remember credentials and sometimes steam screws up by forcibly installing direct or visual C++ packages over and over again and sometimes leads to some dysfunciton here and there.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Steam doesn’t have any complexities of playing a game. You just launch your game from inside the Steam window. What’s so complex about that?

Most people are not very bright that’s why online drm, mmo’s, f2p and microtransactions became a thing. AKA people are not rational. They are lazy and want to spend the least amount of energy. Technically steam is an impedement, aka you have to login and remember credentials and sometimes steam screws up by forcibly installing direct or visual C++ packages over and over again and sometimes leads to some dysfunciton here and there.

That was unnecessarily harsh and overly judgmental. Maybe he just doesn’t have any experience with Steam yet and has only heard about what it’s like to use it (and not from people who like it)? You basically just publicly stated that you think this guy isn’t very bright or rational. You also called him lazy. What the hell? I hope he gives you the what-for when he sees your reply.

Prepare for Overload…

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

Thats why Im not partial to most of the “gaming community” in general.
    We just want to enjoy the game, not the silly childish bantering and bickering that goes along with it.
    We dont play militaristic killing of other humans or other mammals/fowl games either.
    At least we can shoot ships in space and rescue hostages.

Unfortunately the violent tendencies of these games extend into the real world for some and very saddening.
    I do not want steam running in the background and updating all the time and then asking us to enter the password randomly. The HTPC does not have a keyboard/mouse attached.
    Just a game pad and remote control. The remote control can launch games. Steam just lets their interface get in the way of launching and enjoying the game.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Thats why Im not partial to most of the “gaming community” in general.
    We just want to enjoy the game, not the silly childish bantering and bickering that goes along with it.
    We dont play militaristic killing of other humans or other mammals/fowl games either.
    At least we can shoot ships in space and rescue hostages.

Unfortunately the violent tendencies of these games extend into the real world for some and very saddening.
    I do not want steam running in the background and updating all the time and then asking us to enter the password randomly. The HTPC does not have a keyboard/mouse attached.
    Just a game pad and remote control. The remote control can launch games. Steam just lets their interface get in the way of launching and enjoying the game.

Having Steam running in the background is nothing for today’s computers. It’s like having Notepad or Calculator running in the background.

When it updates, it’s fully-automatic and you’re NEVER asked for your credentials. Ever. I know that Origin does, but Origin sucks. Steam destroys Origin in every way. When Steam gets updated, it just gets updated and that’s it. It doesn’t ask you to do ANYthing.

It doesn’t get updated too often.

Steam can be controlled remotely (without a keyboard or a mouse). It’s called “Big Picture Mode”. Once you switch to it, it always opens up that way. It’s never in the way. It’s always there for you, and its interface is excellent. That’s why it’s as successful and as popular with couch gamers as it is.

Edit: I forgot that you have to configure Steam to always open in Big Picture Mode. Still, it can be done.

Steam is MUCH better than you think it is.

Besides, again, if you don’t want Overload on Steam, then you’ll have the DRM-free copy too. You get both.

Prepare for Overload…

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

That was unnecessarily harsh and overly judgmental. Maybe he just doesn’t have any experience with Steam yet and has only heard about what it’s like to use it (and not from people who like it)? You basically just publicly stated that you think this guy isn’t very bright or rational. You also called him lazy. What the hell? I hope he gives you the what-for when he sees your reply.

Yes we are stupid.

Here is a makeshift gaming console I crafted for the kids. They wanted ease of use, no PC/steam. We are so stupid. We dont know what the younger generation wants, they hate this thing I created because I’m dumb and dont drink the Steam kool-aid. Last part of the video you will see Descent 2.

IonIon
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 27

I want /v/ to leave.

punished blart on steam

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

I want /v/ to leave.

What does this mean?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, that seems rather cryptic. What did you just say, Ion?

Prepare for Overload…

AzuvectorAzuvector
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 71

I want /v/ to leave.

What does this mean?

http://boards.4chan.org/v/

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I want /v/ to leave.

What does this mean?

http://boards.4chan.org/v/

He wants video games to leave?

Prepare for Overload…

sanwa5000
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 6

I think, to be young player friendly, a game needs a perfect input engine. Even playing with the keyboard only should allow people to aim precisely on enemies (D1 and D2 are nearly perfect in this). But also mouse input is necessary for thouse kind of players, who never played a game without a mouse 😉 And of course (analog-)joystick players and gamepad-players should feel fine with the input engine (this means, it should include tons of settings, so anyone can set each part of controls by their likes).

Scijad
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I think, to be young player friendly, a game needs a perfect input engine. Even playing with the keyboard only should allow people to aim precisely on enemies (D1 and D2 are nearly perfect in this).

Here here! To go even further, I recently downloaded the D1x and D2X-rebirth programs and the amount of input control in those programs is exceptional! I found myself playing the Overload teaser and wishing I could slow down the roll axis alone and speed others up individually using my old Logitec 3D Pro. I’d like to see maybe a normal and advanced input settings screen…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I think, to be young player friendly, a game needs a perfect input engine. Even playing with the keyboard only should allow people to aim precisely on enemies (D1 and D2 are nearly perfect in this).

Here here! To go even further, I recently downloaded the D1x and D2X-rebirth programs and the amount of input control in those programs is exceptional! I found myself playing the Overload teaser and wishing I could slow down the roll axis alone and speed others up individually using my old Logitec 3D Pro. I’d like to see maybe a normal and advanced input settings screen…

Don’t worry, you will. These guys have great plans for this game. We haven’t seen anything yet. 😉

Prepare for Overload…

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Agree, input is very important, more so than the complexities of building custom levels or objects. We certainly could careless of a minecraft meets Descent project. Rebirth is excellent on our HTPC’s, multiplayer works perfect too, even through the internet with other players. Its 32 bit win 7 so It wont run the Overload teaser.

In the video I posted, my 7 year old can maneuver with the joystick perfect. Nothing in that video is supposed to work together, each part was incompatible with each other. But I made it all to coexist and work together properly with a lot of elbow grease. I hope this will be done with the console version. Make the game work flawlessly with the stock controller, calibrate it to the decimal point! Customization is less important, but welcomed. My first dose of descent was I believe a bundle with the gravis game pad. It was perfect, moving to a full Joystick was not so seamless and I abandoned that and went back to the gravis.

All we are expecting is something like rebirth that we can play on a modern console on a 1080p and 4K TV , multiplayer will be a bonus but not essential. So far Overload looks like what we are looking for, very much unlike the disappointment D Underground. That game does not deserve the descent name!!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

So far Overload looks like what we are looking for, very much unlike the disappointment D Underground. That game does not deserve the descent name!!

I think that’s because this team is pretty much Parallax. I mean, they’ve already done this and have been wanting to do this again for the past 20 years. Descendent Studios is very different, and well… it is what it is. However, Overload wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for them getting the Descent IP licensed to them first.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: XBOX ONE S Next Topic: Mac gamepad support