The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

AWESOME!

There is so much positive to say about the game, I’m speechless, don’t know where to begin. Maybe some critique?

I guess…

The mouse control has to be limited somehow to keep the joystick useful, I’m not sure if that was the plan all along. Also the multichording “slow” feels off still. I can see it being a good idea since full trichording can be hard to balance and not having it is a disaster, but it needs to be a tad bit faster. Also, the thunderbolt moves too fast at high charges. [EDIT: Trichording toggle is f8.]

I’m really excited for the whole campaign!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Are you saying you tried the new feature of pressing F8 to toggle between the three different chording types?

I think the reason why the Thunderbolt’s projectile speed is much faster fully charged is because it helps with aim. Personally, I like it because of that. The chances of me wasting a fully-charged shot are much lower.

However, when single-firing the Thunderbolt for a while (like rapid-fire), you do get used to that speed and so you almost automatically expect a fully-charged shot to be the same speed. When it’s not, I suppose you can miss just because of that. For some reason though, the increased speed has helped me even though I usually use the Thunderbolt for rapid-firing. Perhaps it’s the way I have come to handle the weapon when it’s fully charged. I tend to use fully-charged shots at much closer ranges.

Edit: I almost made the same mistake that Ablationer did. Can you rename your thread to something like “My feedback” or “Whiteshark’s feedback”?

Prepare for Overload…

AblationerAblationer
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Amazing work so far. I love most if not all of the improvements.

However I still have the same issues as I did with the previous teaser:

1. Mouse aiming, and how clunky it feels. It seems both axis just refuse to work together. I have to set the Y-sensitivity twice as high as the X in order for it to be playable, and even then it’s still not quite right. Moving my view in a diagonal angle just feels off, and never goes the way I’m expecting it to.

2. FoV, and how limited it is. 76 degrees is NOWHERE near enough for a desktop setup, and it’s actually kind of headache inducing after just a little while.

Edit: I just realized I posted in someone else’s feedback thread, and not THE official feedback thread, whoops!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Amazing work so far. I love most if not all of the improvements.

However I still have the same issues as I did with the previous teaser:

1. Mouse aiming, and how clunky it feels. It seems both axis just refuse to work together. I have to set the Y-sensitivity twice as high as the X in order for it to be playable, and even then it’s still not quite right. Moving my view in a diagonal angle just feels off, and never goes the way I’m expecting it to.

2. FoV, and how limited it is. 76 degrees is NOWHERE near enough for a desktop setup, and it’s actually kind of headache inducing after just a little while.

Edit: I just realized I posted in someone else’s feedback thread, and not THE official feedback thread, whoops!

You can probably e-mail Cathy to have her delete this for you. Or maybe she can turn your post into a thread posted in the feedback forum.

Prepare for Overload…

Vainiac
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 11

I also have to agree with the general sentiment about how good the game looks and feels. I can’t wait to get my hands on the multiplayer.

JosheM
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 29

I knew I was going to be excited for Overload when complete from the little news snippets and videos the past couple months. But actually playing the significant level of polish we have here, and the increased content with more robots and gameplay opportunities – I am amazed. As much as I want others like Descent Underground to be great as well, Overload is just plain good; it’s what I dreamed as a true successor to Descent.

UI is beautiful and fit the artistic style.
    Controls and response feel right for flying (on a stick and KB).
    Balance between weapons and their purpose seems good already – really excited for how the tech upgrades provide increased customization.
    Robots are sinister-looking and relentless, while still capturing a Descent-vibe in the shaping and eyes.

Most of all I like the visceral feel of combat. The VFX of the weapons and explosion, how it glares off your glass (play with cockpit), and the effects of getting hit make each kill seem satisfying, and each hit taken feel painful. This is something I think Sublevel Zero did very well with player damage, and where I just have troubles with DU not feeling like I’m in a fight.

This doesn’t include any VR yet, right? My Oculus is to arrive this weekend, and the only thing I look forward to more than Overload, is Overload in VR! 🙂

Overall, tremendous work, team! My Kickstarter money has been well spent, and this is only the appetizer!

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Thanks for the kind words, Joshe!

This teaser does include VR support for Oculus. Please let us know what you think.

legojake94legojake94
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

Most everything about the game is just so well polished, i love the VFX with the cockpit glare shining across when i go to use the thunderbolt. very solid and smooth experience, and the gameplay itself is just so much fun. It’s very easy to hit your target unlike descent 3, where robots moved and dodged way too quickly. The recoil and blowback from certain weapons/explosions is just really fun to get thrown around by! You know you have a solid game when the core aspect is already awesome.

Not sure what is in store for weapons, i haven’t been able to see all the upgrades on the current weapons yet, but some suggestions for the inclusion of some old favorites of mine in the past descent games would definitely be: the plasma cannon, microwave gun, smart missile, (or some kind of cluster bomb like the cyclone?), guided missile, ^^^Black shark^^^ (PLEEASE), frag missile, Napalm cannon/missile. any kind of weapon that can bounce off walls?

i think it’d be neat if flares stuck to robots and doors when shot at them, be a neat way to tag certain enemies or blind other players.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

I was going to comment about losing track of my status in challenge mode, but the whole point it to overwhelm you, and I don’t typically have time to check my ammo count in a heavy firefight in the original games either. So yeah. (P.S. Nothing like “3 super robots incoming!” when I’m at like 20 shields. Where’s a corner oh wait there’s another robot behind that ugh ugh ugh)

Weapon hotkeys would be great to see at some point, though. They’re quicker than scrolling, and the directional switcher isn’t the more natural thing on KB+M.

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant

I didn’t see an “official” feedback thread so I made this. You can post your feedback here since I have little but positive to say, and thanks Cables for telling me about the f8, I had missed it entirely!

[EDIT] Could someone elaborate on how the different flight modes compare? Is the max speed always the same or what? Any stats on this?

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant

I can assume the graphics settings aren’t close to the final, but one thing I find notable is that the antialiasing is too strong, the game looks cleaner without it. EDIT:I mixed up some other setting with antialiasing, it’s definitely not too strong. Without post processing the game becomes really dark, but again this surely isn’t going to happen in release.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

We do have “sticky flares”, but they’re not in the teaser. They’re still in progress.

We’ll be gradually releasing weapons in the Early Access.

sushicw
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

Hello! Just tried the new playable teaser, using dual joysticks as my control mechanism. A couple of things I noticed:

* Turning left/right immediately feels weird, since it’s so much faster than any other axis of rotation. I’ve had a lot of trouble finding a sensitivity setting where left/right doesn’t feel oversensitive but up/down/rotate doesn’t feel undersensitive. I expect with time I’d largely be able to get used to this though.
    * The selection wheel feels really awkward with a joystick, especially if you have left/right bound to twist instead of the X-axis.
    * If there is any visual indication of how damaged the robots are, it was subtle enough that I missed it entirely. (Although if it’s there I figure I’ll eventually pick up on it).
    * Game’s still fun. Keep up the good work! 🙂

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I didn’t see an “official” feedback thread so I made this. You can post your feedback here since I have little but positive to say, and thanks Cables for telling me about the f8, I had missed it entirely!

[EDIT] Could someone elaborate on how the different flight modes compare? Is the max speed always the same or what? Any stats on this?

I posted my personal observations about the F8 modes Here. They still need some work I think.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Hey sushicw. I’m another dual stick user. The funny thing is that for me turning feels good but banking is far too sensitive (depending on what flight mode I use). The full axis customization screen in the options menu isn’t in yet but they have a nice big “To Do” where it will be so we should be able to fix the problem ourselves eventually.

-I also don’t like the selection wheel. It’s very clunky for joystick use. They have hotkeys generally bound to 1-9 but we can’t assign hotkeys to joystick buttons yet. When that becomes available I’m going to map each weapon to a hat direction. Even a simple “Next Weapon, Previous Weapon” system would help until the hotkeys are mappable but so far no luck.

-Robots actually lose their exterior paneling as they become damaged. It’s a really cool effect 🙂

-I agree that the game is a ton of fun!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Adjusting options with 360-controller Next Topic: Here are a couple of tricks you all might want to know about