The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Finer Control over Weapon Selection

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

The weapon select system in Overload has come a long way in a short time. It seems like in the space of a few few weeks everything I had been hoping for was implemented.
    -I love being able to turn off autoselect.
    -Having a cycle backward control is great.
    -I still don’t like the weapon wheels but I don’t have to use them 😛 .
    -Most important of all you’ve given us the ability to map weapon hotkeys to joystick buttons and hat switches! Thank you for listening. Having access to hotkeys on my hats has made the game much smoother to play and helps me a lot with finding the weapons I need without losing too much focus on the combat.

All that said, playing with the features I wanted has made me think that there’s still room for improvement. My dual joystick setup is a bit unusual but not unique. Since I have a hat switch for primary and another for secondary, I’d actually like the ability to map each individual weapon. Having the hotkeys paired up is a great way to condense the controls for keyboard but the current pairings still don’t make the most sense and for people with more buttons available they are unnecessary.

To add the extra hotkeys and also fix the pairing issues the binding menu could look something like this:
    16 Hotkey menu
    An important feature of this menu is the ability to bind the same key to multiple slots. This would allow keyboard users to continue using them exactly as they always have but would grant the option to change which weapons are paired together. If you wanted, you could even group 3 or more onto one key. If I were using keyboard I would group them as such:

1. Impulse
    2. Driller/Crusher/Flak
    3. Cyclone
    4. Reflex
    5. Thunderbolt

6. Falcon
    7. Hunter/Missile Pod
    8. Creeper
    9. Nova/Devastator

My ideal selection system would look like this on the hat switches:
    Hatkeys

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

16 Hotkeys 3
    First revision with input from TwoCables. Making the curve is really difficult in Photoshop elements and therefore not very pretty.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Oh nice. It’s almost hard to choose which one would be better because the first one is ok, but the 2nd one is more consistent with their existing key mapping screens.

Either way, wow, nicely done. This would definitely provide the ability to customize key pairings on the number keys on the keyboard.

Prepare for Overload…

ViciousFluidViciousFluid
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 60

NICE! looks really well done. I definitely like option 2 in terms of how nice it looks, and as TC said, it blends in well with their existing structure.

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

I’m in favor of this 🙂 I also think it would be nice to tweak the slow-mo weapon select, since using the mouse feels kind of finicky.

What if we could just have special key mappings during slow-mo weapon select? i.e., hold G, and I can use keys 1-8 to select a primary weapon in slow-mo while holding G, and hold T, and I can use keys 1-8 to select a secondary weapon in slow-mo. Or maybe all the other keys can be completely re-mapped only for weapon select: W normally moves forward, but if I hold G to go to primary-select slow-mo, W selects driller, and if I hold T, then W selects missile pods.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Revival Productions is calling it the “weapon wheel”, and I’m almost 100% sure they designed it for gamepads and joysticks even though people are saying it’s not very good for that either. lol

I personally think the weapon wheel should be removed from the game for 2 reasons:

1. What’s going to happen to it in Multiplayer? How are we going to use it? I guess it could probably still be used without the slow-mo effect, but it seems to me you’d have to be awfully good at using it so that you’re not accidentally selecting the wrong weapon and having to try several times just to get it right – which of course means someone will kill you while you’re trying to select the weapon you want.

2. It’s a bit on the clunky side because the times I have tried to use it feels like it’s interrupting my flow and momentum.

But yeah, they seem to have named it the “weapon wheel”.

Prepare for Overload…

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

I think even without slow mo it could be pretty useful — hold G and push any of QWERASDF for whatever primary I want, hold T and push any of those same letters for whatever secondary I want.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

As long as the weapon wheel isn’t easy to trigger accidentally, I don’t think it’s doing any harm. I can’t see myself using it (at least not on PC), but if it makes the game easier to play for someone else, it’s all good.

ViciousFluidViciousFluid
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 60

2. It’s a bit on the clunky side because the times I have tried to use it feels like it’s interrupting my flow and momentum.

AGREED. Which is why i don’t use it. Honestly hotkeys work fine for me. But, for players that do want the weapon wheel, the slo-mo issue should probably be addressed for multiplayer.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

For a while I’ve been suggesting that the slow-mo effect is problematic because of multiplayer. You can’t exactly slow the game for everybody each time one person needs to switch weapons. I also think that if the slow-mo effect is in the singleplayer game then people who start there (everybody since it’s coming out first) could get used to it and then be in for a rude awakening several months later when multiplayer ships.

I don’t think that the weapon wheel is inherently bad. It doesn’t work for joysticks, everyone here seems to say that it doesn’t work for KB/M, but I bet it’s great on a gamepad which is what it seems designed for. So, like Sirius, I don’t think it should be removed.

Raptur’s second post here seems like a very good idea. It seems to me that every key associated with it would need to be bindable to new locations but the system itself looks like it would be great for keyboard players; basically a different version of the weapon wheel layed out as we see fit. It would be fast and precise which is good. I wouldn’t use it though since I’m on Joysticks so I’d still like 16 individual hotkeys, but hey! room for both 🙂

AzuvectorAzuvector
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 71

Haven’t checked, but is there a toggle to disable or unbind the weapon wheel? Also not really a fan of them; I dislike how they disrupt your aim and movement when you want to switch weapons.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Since it seems to be tied to holding down the cycle primary/secondary button, yeah, you can either unbind that, or just tap it if you actually do want to cycle weapons. Before they had hotkeys I had cycle bound to mouse wheel up/down, which doesn’t come with a “hold” option, so it wouldn’t show up.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

Time to necro an old thread! There has been some more talk of wanting 16 hotkeys so I thought it would be useful to dig back for this. Additionally, I have been thinking that the Hotkeys might want their own sub-menu again rather than being included in additional controls, like so:
    hotkeys

YinutYinut
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 55

It was back then and still is a very welcome feature that I hope gets added at one point.

scott
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Yes please!…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Survival Challenge Mode Next Topic: x52 pro HOTAS throttle mapping