The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Website and Forum Feedback FORUM FIX UP

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

FYI, we are working on the forums this week! Hopefully we’ll get the frustrating post-sorting-bug fixed and look into chat and maybe other features. We are also reorganizing the posts. I’m afraid we might lose valuable feedback just because we don’t have clear forums. I know it is annoying to come back and have things moved around, but I think it will help in the long run. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Edit: Decided to go to a straight thread, where all new posts go to the end in chronological order

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Thanks!

Is the forum software custom? I’ve been noticing it’s not really quite the same as others I’ve seen.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

We’re using BBPress (off a recommendation) and trying to bend it to our will. I think we discover more of what we want as the forums are used (as with everything, I guess) 🙂

Let us know what changes would make the forums better!

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Apart from the post order issue you’re already aware of, just a highlight for threads with unread posts, I think.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I’ve already detailed what I think everyone would want, but I really need more input from the members.

https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/forum-feature-requests/

I have also detailed all the bugs I could find, but again, I think more input is needed.

https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/forum-bugs/

In posting this reply, I discovered another bug: putting more than one link in a post results in something like this:

Forum Bugs

The only way around it is to link the link by selecting the link after pasting it, clicking the “Link” button in the editor, and then simply linking the link to the link. The expected result is just another text link.

Prepare for Overload…

tueidj
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 64

Does anyone else find the “New posts since last visit” link extremely unreliable? It never shows anything new, I have to check each forum manually.

SeaWyrm
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 21

Highlighting topics with posts since last visit would be very, very nice to have. That and the post order being wonky seem like the two most important things.

It would also be cool if topics a given user has posted in were marked for them, to help them remember where they might be in the middle of an ongoing conversation.

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

At the expense of initially leaving some forum debris (it would disappear before very long), I think it may be a good idea to leave individual post/reply place-holders with a standard explanation and a link to where the post was moved, and topics locked rather than deep-sixed altogether. This way you get a clean forum and people aren’t left scratching their heads thinking, “I’m almost certain I wrote a post/topic the other day, but I can’t find it! Am I losing my mind?”. I don’t know how much workload that adds, but I think it would be less of a shock to the system.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 118

Thank you for the update, and update of the forums!

I’ll second the comment that “View posts since last visit” is unreliable.

For chat, Are you considering an applet on the web site, or a front-end for an IRC channel?

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

Highlighting topics with posts since last visit would be very, very nice to have. That and the post order being wonky seem like the two most important things.

I’d add, fix the “View new posts since last visit” link, and some mechanism so that when you click on a thread, it goes to the first unread post rather than to the very beginning each time. These are standard features on other forums that I visit, makes rejoining / continuing the conversation much easier.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

I found a bug. When I click the link for active topics since last visit, it brings me to a page full of topics. At the bottom is shows “Viewing 15 topics – 1 through 15 (of 26 total)” but when I click page 2, it’s blank

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

I tried to figure out a way to do this, but since I was moving so many threads I couldn’t come up with a reasonable way to keep time/number of threads down. Sorry for the shock to the system, you’re not losing your mind! I hope the forum topics are still pretty clear.

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

I think it’s actually coming along great!

antonrumataantonrumata
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 2

How I can set the timezone, for example Greenwich Time and 24 h time display?
    I come from Germany and the announcement am or pm is unusual.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

We added a small gray envelope tag to the left side of threads with unread posts. Is this helpful?

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Bots fight each other… Next Topic: Environments: Share your ideas