The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Website and Forum Feedback FORUM FIX UP

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    1up1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 82

Either the envelope icon or simply unread threads in bold. I am fine with whatever solution 🙂

Thanks for taking care of the suggestions.

Edit: Hmpf … again a direct reply throws it at the end of the thread :-/

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

The bug that seems to keep popping up is one of non-chronological threads. I think if we went back to a DBB.net/.com approach where we need to quote other folks and that’s the tie to previous messages, we’ll be set. Otherwise, it becomes a cluster of scanning through an entire thread for the new posts.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

@1up; we’re working on the order! Seems to happen with topics longer than a page. I hope we can get it worked out (because I like direct replies), but if not, we might end up going back to a straight thread with each new response going to the end :/

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

Cathy: I think the “all posts go to the end” is messier in that replies aren’t by their accompanying posts. The benefit is that someone need only read the end of the thread to read the new posts. Otherwise users are forced to scan through the entire thread to find the new posts.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

I don’t think I like the direct replies, if I understand how they work correctly. So if there’s a 20 page long thread and someone replies to a post on page 11, does that mean I have to search through half the thread before I can find it? I thought that’s why linear threads were best, because every post is easy to find, and you can refer to earlier posts by quoting them.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

Cathy: I think the “all posts go to the end” is messier in that replies aren’t by their accompanying posts. The benefit is that someone need only read the end of the thread to read the new posts. Otherwise users are forced to scan through the entire thread to find the new posts.

Ha, I just posted the same thing again, not seeing your post because it wasn’t at the end of the thread. 😉

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

@1up; we’re working on the order! Seems to happen with topics longer than a page. I hope we can get it worked out (because I like direct replies), but if not, we might end up going back to a straight thread with each new response going to the end :/

I prefer this. Easier to read and with quotes, you can reply to people directly.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

Thanks for the feedback! I think we’ll go to every new post goes to the end of the topic (no indented replies) and we can just tag and quote. Actually makes things a lot easier on our end 🙂

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

@CDN_Merlin Is that bug still happening for you? I haven’t been able to reproduce it this morning

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

@Cathy: You really need to have a system in place to jump to each new reply in a topic in order to make the system easy to use, as-is. The forum system in use over at i-Novae Studios handles this issue by doing both at the same time–putting all replies at the end of the topic, but also linking them to the replied-to post using an expandable element immediately below the post. The replies themselves also show a link to the post they’re replying to at the upper-left. It’s not a forum system I’m familiar with, but I believe it is built on Microsoft technology. The only draw-back to the system, IMO, is that if you expand replies to a post when you come upon them, and then keep reading on, eventually you come to the bottom of the topic and find yourself re-reading posts (if they just slightly changed the background color to indicate that it is a direct reply, I think it would make it nicer). I would suggest registering and giving it a go, just for the experience. The forum has some other very high-tech features… it jumps you right to the last reply you viewed and highlights it on re-visit; notifies you dynamically, client-side of new replies; saves your drafts per-topic (love this), and makes suggestions dynamically as you write a new topic, to prevent duplicate topics (and it works!), … The only fault I find with it is that I think it’s not as easy on the eyes as some forums. 🙂

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer

@CDN_Merlin Is that bug still happening for you? I haven’t been able to reproduce it this morning

Haven’t had enough topics to have 2 pages but will test next time there is.

deathwinger
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 25

Slightly, but I would have missed it if you haven’t told me.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer

All fixed. Thanks

tueidj
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 64

Trying to follow links to individual posts (e.g. https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/forum-fix-up/page/3/#post-3820 ) is leading to a “Reply to” form instead of showing the desired post.

Edit: Wait, it’s the direct links themselves that are messed up – the page numbers are all over the place.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Yeah, if direct replies (quoted or unquoted, using “Reply” or “Quote”) don’t get placed at the end of a thread, then the chances of these replies never being seen goes up dramatically. The first time I saw a reply ending up in the middle of a thread somewhere, I thought it was a horrible bug (even though it wasn’t a bug at all). That type of a system is very annoying.

So now, thanks to the way things are (or were?), I don’t have the ability to trust that all of the latest replies will be neatly organized at the end of a thread on this forum – in chronological order. Instead, I have to spend my valuable time searching through an entire thread paying very close attention to the date and time of each post to see if I have seen all of the posts that I haven’t seen yet. It’s very annoying. I’m glad this isn’t a super busy forum.

We have a new bug though. I’ll try to describe it:

In a list of threads, ciicking the date and time link underneath a username brings me to a page where the only thing I see is a Reply editor.

Editing a post and then clicking Submit results in being brought to that same page – a reply editor.

If you need further clarification of this bug, then I will do my best.

We still need a link that brings us to the first unread post – even if that’s the very first post of a new thread.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Bots fight each other… Next Topic: Environments: Share your ideas