The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Future Of Overload, Son is loosing interest > ISSUE RESOLVED! SON LOVES IT!

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I’m going by this post. It may not sound like too much work to do once but having to do it twice on every build would probably be a relatively serious cut into dev time.
    Granted, I’m not entirely sure how much of it only needs to be done once.

Overload on the PS4!

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Most of it only has to be done once. Once you figure out what causes a problem, even if it’s a repeatable step, as long as you put together a checklist it’ll be plain sailing next build. But you do need to run through the steps and then you probably also need to do some testing to make sure there aren’t any new bugs each time.

I think the main roadblock is that there hasn’t even been an initial public release for the console platforms. If there had, and we hadn’t seen subsequent updates, then yes, it probably means updates are expensive. As it stands I just suspect they haven’t had time to get everything working in the first place and deal with the publishing process for the consoles’ respective marketplaces. (I don’t know much about Sony’s system or the specifics of the Xbox, but I have heard some generalities about publishing to the fairly similar Windows Store, and there is some validation/certification stuff it has to go through first… if your app is going through the process for the first time I wouldn’t be surprised if it took a few weeks to get everything clean. Not full-time, but there’s a round-trip delay where you have to wait to hear back whether it’s approved etc.)

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Most of it only has to be done once. Once you figure out what causes a problem, even if it’s a repeatable step, as long as you put together a checklist it’ll be plain sailing next build. But you do need to run through the steps and then you probably also need to do some testing to make sure there aren’t any new bugs each time.

I think the main roadblock is that there hasn’t even been an initial public release for the console platforms. If there had, and we hadn’t seen subsequent updates, then yes, it probably means updates are expensive. As it stands I just suspect they haven’t had time to get everything working in the first place and deal with the publishing process for the consoles’ respective marketplaces. (I don’t know much about Sony’s system or the specifics of the Xbox, but I have heard some generalities about publishing to the fairly similar Windows Store, and there is some validation/certification stuff it has to go through first… if your app is going through the process for the first time I wouldn’t be surprised if it took a few weeks to get everything clean. Not full-time, but there’s a round-trip delay where you have to wait to hear back whether it’s approved etc.)

2nd paragraph is spot-on — I don’t have current figures for the X1 but I recall seeing somewhere that patch certification on 360 titles was in the neighborhood of $50K a pop — though that might’ve been for much larger titles, everyone had to pay that toll. It’s def changed since then (looks like it’s free on the X1 for independent developers) but it’s still a significant investment in terms of time and human capital. Could be on the order of weeks to make it through, assuming it does at all — I’m sure developers of any size would rather deal with the headache of clearing MS/Sony certification just once during the development process.

Steam allows for changes to be pushed and tested at any time across multiple builds, all on the Steam platform: https://steamdb.info/app/448850/depots/. I’ve never heard of XBox or Playstation working like that, requiring instead a dev kit to be set up.

Looking at that SteamDB page — was a patch pushed out a few days ago? I don’t recall seeing anything…it was only 1K though from the looks of it so whatever lol

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

Well if Mike came here and said it wont be available on the Xbox due to MS certification and other demands I would certainly accept that. I understand any statements the make might come back to bite them if it doesn’t pan out.

Xbox had Overwatch free preview this pass weekend, we played it and were not impressed. How many ground level first person shooters do we need? At least with Overload, its flying and shooting. He likes the Star Trek Xbox version too, same thing, at least there is some shooing around in space.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Not sure how old your son is but have y’all looked into Titanfall 2?? It’s a great take on the usual ground-pounders and plays incredibly quickly — Overwatch looks lethargic next to it. Titanfall handles like Call of Duty but players can run on walls and shoot grappling hooks and stuff. Some modes even have piles of mostly-useless AI companions to liven up matches. When players get enough points/time in the match, they get to drive a giant robot! I’ve heard the singleplayer campaign is really fun, but fair warning that the multiplayer (where the focus of the game is) is brutally difficult until you’re really good at it. It’s punishing but extremely rewarding once you learn the game.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

foghorn — sorry for not replying sooner.

We are not in Xbox Game Preview. Overload runs well on box Xbox One and PS4, but we need to do a fair amount of optimization. And there are the TCRs to deal with. Game Preview is highly selective and we have not been able to put in the time for it. We would like to get in there, but it’s partly a matter of allocation of our time.

You can get the DRM-free version, same as Steam Early Access if you are a Kickstarter or Backerkit backer. Please email feedback@revivalprod.com if you need help.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

I understand now Mike, keep up the great work!!

urungusurungus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

Pardon my reply, and this may sound rude but what is the point of forcing a KID to enjoy something he doesn’t?
    Kids have difficulty understanding value. Far be it for me to say your’s, good Sir, doesn’t.
    It’s not the Devs fault someone loses interest. This is not a mature, patient adult.
    I’ve been waiting for Cube World for YEARS. It’s being developed by two people. I’M STILL INTERESTED. The fact that I don’t play it much is irrelevant.

When the port to X-Box is released hopefully he will be pleasantly surprised.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Pardon my reply, and this may sound rude but what is the point of forcing a KID to enjoy something he doesn’t?
    Kids have difficulty understanding value. Far be it for me to say your’s, good Sir, doesn’t.
    It’s not the Devs fault someone loses interest. This is not a mature, patient adult.
    I’ve been waiting for Cube World for YEARS. It’s being developed by two people. I’M STILL INTERESTED. The fact that I don’t play it much is irrelevant.

Hmm. I always took foghorn2’s thread here as him saying that he is worried about the future of Overload if it can’t hold someone’s interest for very long for someone who was once EXTREMELY excited about it. I think he’s concerned that Overload will fail due to how quickly his son is losing interest right now. So I said earlier that I’m losing interest too and I think it’s natural to lose interest right now because there isn’t a whole lot of replay value yet because the game isn’t finished yet. It only has 2 Story Mode levels and 2 other “mission” levels (and one of them is that tiny Training Mission), and then there are the Challenge Mode levels which can get repetitive, especially if you play the game way too much like I did. I’m completely burned out on Overload, but I know from my own history that this is only temporary.

I think his son’s waning interest is only temporary too. For that reason, I said in a previous post that the best thing is to just have his son wait until Overload is finished. I mean, truly, they should put Overload back up on the shelf so to speak and wait until it’s done. I think the finished version of Overload will make it very hard for anyone to lose interest. It’s going to have a decently-long campaign and it will have at least 12 Challenge Mode levels. Then 6-8 months after Overload is finished, we will get the free multiplayer add-on. I think that will be perfect timing. Between the campaign, Challenge Mode and then MP 6-8 months after release, we will have *PLENTY* to keep us all interested for a very long time. Of course, there’s also the level editor that they are going to release when they finish Overload (it’ll be released at roughly the same time).

So, I don’t think foghorn2 is trying to tell his son what he should and shouldn’t be interested in. I think he’s just saying, “Uh, devs, I’m not so sure your game will be successful because my son is already losing interest. That worries me. I think that if this game is to be successful, it should keep a person’s attention far longer than this.” Except, I disagree because of the fact that this game is still fairly far from being finished. We can’t guess at the future of Overload by how well it’s doing *NOW*. There’s a huge amount of content that’s still to come. So I think the real answer to this thread is, “Patience. Wait until Overload is finished.”

Prepare for Overload…

Kickstarter Backer

I’m not worried about the game losing momentum on release. Just about anybody I’ve shown it to reacted with “I can’t wait till it’s done” excitement. Many of them have never seen a game like this before.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Prime example of gamers on the internet who have have lost all sense of reality, everything becomes attack and shoot.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Kids these days don’t know how to be patient. This is caused by giving them everything they want when they want it.

Kickstarter Backer

Hey, I’m not exactly a geezer and I’ve turned out fine!
    😛

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Kids these days don’t know how to be patient. This is caused by giving them everything they want when they want it.

I think children have been impatient since the beginning of time. I think it’s just natural. Children are excited and wide-eyed and they just don’t have the life experience and maturity to know how to patiently wait to get what they want (nor do they *want* to be patient). They haven’t lived long enough to calm down and haven’t learned that this world requires patience. Sure, there are lots of things today that contribute to a lack of patience in today’s children, but I think it still boils down to human nature.

Prepare for Overload…

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Purchased SubLevel Zero for the Xbox One. WOW, HE REALLY LIKES IT! And so Do I.

I did not even know this game existed. Just ran into by accident. And no Home Depot Ceramic Tiles on the walls, real nice!!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: 0.4 Feedback Next Topic: Pick-up radius poll