The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Bug Reports and Questions Graphics adjustment glitch

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Hello all,

I encountered this glitch while fiddling with graphical options:

Changing any of the advanced settings often triggers it, and sometimes reverts it back to normal. The game remembers your graphical settings, and you can navigate the menus & play the game, but you are stuck(?) with this look.

Kind of reminds me a Descent 3 “feature”… 🙂

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

Im getting this too now all of the sudden, also I cant get the high res to stick, it keeps going back to 720p. Plays @ low framrates too.

I get that same white picture when I toggle the post processing settings, if i play it on low, its choppy and dark.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I think it’s when flipping the ambient occlusion switch — just got it today.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Yep, its related to that switch being on, and setting the post processing to normal.
    I did not change a thing on my PC I was getting very high framerates even with 4K .
    Now even with 1080p the rates are < 60!
    THe only thing updated on this windows boot was steam. and now theres a Nvidia app installed.
    I have all AMD stuff on my pc and I did not install this driver/app.
    This is the reason why I was reluctant to buy this on Stream.
    Is steam with its stupid updates sabotaging this game?

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

This is more than likely an issue with the engine or game itself that’s arisen in a recent patch — steam is just a wrapper.

Re: NVidia app: I don’t think steam would install applications you don’t tell it to — I know it can update drivers, but the user has to explicitly tell it to do so.

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

We recently put up a new version (Build 61) that should fix this. Let us know if it doesn’t.

Thanks,

– Matt

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

It fixes that issue, but the FPS’s are way down.

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

while I never experienced that glitch, my FPS has dropped by half or more down to 68. I have a pair of Asus 980Ti OC cards in SLI driving 144 hz refresh rate Benq 35 at 2560×1080. I was getting up to 250 FPS and never below 70 until this latest drop. What gives?

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

while I never experienced that glitch, my FPS has dropped by half or more down to 68. I have a pair of Asus 980Ti OC cards in SLI driving 144 hz refresh rate Benq 35 at 2560×1080. I was getting up to 250 FPS and never below 70 until this latest drop. What gives?

Thats exactly the symptoms I’m experiencing. There no graphical improvment so then why are the FPS’s down?

Is this game getting fatter to help sell more expensive GPU’s? I’m tired of that game too!

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

Sorry about the drop in FPS! Can you give us a little more information? Machine specs, platform, memory (we found something related to memory that might be the culprit), etc. If we don’t find something with that, we could try to get you an old build to compare. Thanks for the help!

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

Hi Cathy, yes I can give some rig specs.
    EVGA SR2 mobo
    2 Intel Xeon 5680 hex-core processors over-clocked to 4456Mhz
    Noctua NHD14 cpu heatsinks
    EVGA 1300 watt PSU
    24 GB DDR3 1866Mhz Gskill RAM
    2 Asus Strix 980 Ti OC 6GB gddr5 vram
    Nvidia driver v.382.53
    PNY 240GB SSD
    2 Seagate barracuda SATA2 160GB HDDs in raid0 array for secondary drive
    I guess that about wraps it up. If you can think of anything I left out, let me know. Hope this helps your investigation into the cause of the s l o w d o w n. Good luck.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Thanks Cathy, you are the best!

here is my Rig:

Asus Prime x370 Pro MB
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 core 16 threads @ 3.7 CPU
    16 GB DDR 4 Corsair @ 3000 MHZ
    Adata M.2 boot drive (not for steam/OVLD)
    Samsung EVO SSD (fresh updated windows 10 64 bit, nothing else installed but steam and Overload)
    XFX “Red Edition” RX 480 RS 8GB DDR5 1288MHz RX-480P8LFR6 >> latest AMD radeon drivers, (going back to a prev driver does not change anything)

Originally I was getting >100 @ UHD res – 3840×2160 sometimes peaking above 200fps! and @ 1080p >200fps

Now I cant even get anything close to 100 fps with even 1080p

main issue is that at times it will dip below 50 fps @ 1080p, now thats a real problem with a brand new rig like this.

oh- and I validated the FPS since I dont trust the Steam overlay- I disabled it and checked it with MSI-Afterburner and the results are the same.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Today I toggled the Vsync on (always keep it off) then off, the FPS increased!
    Not as high as it was before the latest 2 drops, but better!
    Maybe its issues with the game engine?
    We know the game programmers know how to code, they’ve proven that time and time again, but they cant control the engine!

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

I just wanted to touch back on this topic; are the low FPS still an issue with the newest build? If so, how bad would you rate it (unplayable? unenjoyable? annoying? occasional issue?)? Thank you for the help!

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Thanks Cathy, with the latest build it is better, it is not as high as what it was with the first ER, but understandably as the game gets more features and eye candy, those FPS’s will decrease.

The main issue was after the prev drop, there seemed to have been an issue with the game engine/settings. The prev fix for me was to toggle the Vsync and my fps’s went up. With he latest drop, I have no major graphics issues. The framerates are always > 60 up to 1440 resolutions and if I try 4k, it rarley dips below 40.

At the distance we play (I keep telling the little one he’s too close to the TV and move back) 1440 is fine anyway.

Great job everyone there at Overload Studios (should really be called Descent Studios but those people took it!!)

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Spinning out of control Next Topic: Crash to desktop issues… (Minor, seldom occurence)