The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Multiplayer Hello Multiplayer!

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

We’ve got two big things for you today: the first Overload Multiplayer Trailer, and the official announcement of our release plans.

Multiplayer

We’ve been working on multiplayer for a while now thanks to a new addition to the team, and we’re excited to show you some PvP action!

We’ve still got a ways to go, but the core functionality is in and it’s a blast to play.

Release Schedule

We have decided on a concurrent release of the single-player and multiplayer versions across all platforms.  This will mean a slight delay for the SP version, but we believe it’s the best thing to do for Overload.  We came to this decision because it’s extremely difficult to create awareness for multiple launches.  By releasing single and multiplayer at the same time, we should appeal to a larger audience and attract more players.

Our plan is:

• One more Early Access release (Version 0.9) sometime in February.  This will include one more single-player level, localization, and nearly-final game balancing, bug fixes and optimization.
    • Starting in April, we expect to make the the multiplayer version available to Beta backers for testing.
    • Final release in May/June for PC (Windows, Linux, Mac), Playstation 4, and Xbox One.

Unexpected delays are always possible, but we feel good about this schedule and think it will help the game.  We’re excited to finish Overload and get it out to you.

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

This is why I love you all so much at Revival!!! I am so stoked for this I can hardly contain myself! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

LemurFromTheIdLemurFromTheId
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 24

As a backer who’s never been super excited about multiplayer, I have to say that I’m perfectly fine with these news. A single, big release is probably going to be great for the game in the long run.

Of course, I’m certainly going to give MP all the opportunity to win me over.

Any word yet what kind of MP modes will be available? One thing I’d really like to see is some kind of co-op challenge mode (not necessarily with the same levels as in SP CM, might need more room for that).

Thunderbolt — an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Stoked for this news!!

Since the CM maps appear to support CM and now MP, any chance we’ll be seeing a co-op CM mode, or robot anarchy on CM maps? Could def be a fun split-screen mode, especially for consoles.

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

Wow, this looks great! The ship models look so much cooler when they’re not just exploding 😀

1up1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 82

Thanks Cathy for the great news. Can’t wait to check it out 🙂

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Love this! Agree that concurrent release of single/multi sounds like the way to go. Keep up the great work!

AzuvectorAzuvector
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 71

Agree completely with the release plans. And definitely excited for how things are proceeding. 🙂

Kickstarter Backer

One thing that really concerns me is that Steam summer sales are likely to begin before the end of June. Will people be buying new games at full price so close to the sales – particularly if the game is delayed? Can you keep selling them during the sales without a discount, and would selling at a discount be even sensible for such a new game? And if you do participate in the sales, how will backers react – many back games to get them at a lower price compared to the price at release (personally I don’t care).

MentalAbsenceMentalAbsence
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

Being a new yet affordable game released near the summer sales might work in Overload’s favor, or at least not hurt. After all, if you just saved a bunch on other games, it doesn’t sound so bad to splurge on that one full-price game that looks really awesome.

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Now that is HOT news! Keep up the good work, Revival team!

Now what about the level design tools..? 🙂

yencil
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 32

This is so fantastic!!!

Just FYI guys, I asked in the comments of the Kickstarter update and got a reply, no Coop for this release. Here’s the quote:

3DG: Unfortunately, Co-op doesn’t seem likely for launch. Depending on success of Overload, maybe a good fit for a sequel?

Just wanted to pass that on here. Maybe if we make launch reception awesome it could be in a patch / DLC, I would privately hope ; ) but not in the cards for the launch.

Kickstarter Backer

This is so fantastic!!!

Just FYI guys, I asked in the comments of the Kickstarter update and got a reply, no Coop for this release. Here’s the quote:

3DG: Unfortunately, Co-op doesn’t seem likely for launch. Depending on success of Overload, maybe a good fit for a sequel?

Just wanted to pass that on here. Maybe if we make launch reception awesome it could be in a patch / DLC, I would privately hope ; ) but not in the cards for the launch.

That… is disappointing. Thanks for relaying the message.

I’m not a competitive guy at all, and while I’m definitely going to put some effort in learning the ropes of PvP MP, it was some kind of co-operative challenge mode that I was really hoping for. That would’ve also attracted a slighly different audience than PvP, and I can’t imagine it would be a huge amount of work, seeing as both MP and CM are already in place (i.e. I expect it would be in line with other MP modes).

Oh well, I hope there will, at least, be some nice team-based MP modes. And I’d love to see co-op added as an update later, of course.

(On a side note, I just started my wishlist for Overload 2. It’s a bad habit of mine that I tend to mull over my ideas so long that it’s too late to implement them when I finally share them.)

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

I’m not a competitive guy at all, and while I’m definitely going to put some effort in learning the ropes of PvP MP, it was some kind of co-operative challenge mode that I was really hoping for.

I am in the same boat. Will keep fingers crossed for a possible Overload 2!

sLLiKsLLiK
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1

SQUEEEEEE!!!!

Ahem. I’m a little excited by this vid. Okay, maybe more than a little.

You know you want to release that early so we can make sure it’s battle-hardened before 1.0, right? ;D

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Alt-Tab Mouse Capture Issue Next Topic: What Overload multiplayer needs to succeed