The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Playable Teaser March 2016 Bug Reports and Questions HELP NEEDED: Test the new joystick input system

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

I’m working on the new joystick input system, and I need people who have joysticks with issues to try out a quick test for me before I integrate it completely. Here’s a download of the core game, with only the main menu working, and some debug spew:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx7fpnyd6ii10rn/OverloadJoystickTest.zip?dl=0

All you need to do is move your joystick axes and push the buttons. Everything should have reasonable values between -1 and 1, and be able to rest at 0 (or close to it).

That’s it. Load it up and move your joystick and see if everything works. Please let me know what you see (here, or by email to luke@radiangames.com). I’m not really worried about stuff that worked before, but the stuff that didn’t like SW3D Pro and HOTAS, or something with a hat that didn’t respond. Every button/axis should output something.

It seems to working great here, and this afternoon I’ll switch all the code over to use the values/axes.

PS. If you had to run the DirectX 9 bat file before, make sure to run with -force-d3d9.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

I can only test it in a couple of hours when I get home. About 4pm EST.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

Awesome! Really hopeful about this fix!

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer

If it fixes the 3D Pro issue, I will kiss the floor. Hopefully it fixes both my stick issues.

PuDLeZ
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

I’m getting values for all axis/buttons on my Sidewinder FFB2!

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team

The conversion is done. Our next build (today?) will include a new joystick system. That means you’ll have to remap everything, but a lot more stuff should work, including multiple joysticks.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer

Seems to work it my MS Prec 2. Tried my 3D Pro and it also seems fine but I did notice the numbers were higher in some areas. If you want screenshots of the values, let me know. I won’t be home for part of the night as I’m volunteering but if I get a chance after I can send it to you.

Thanks again for all the work.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team

Here’s the new build 4 (still-in-testing) with the all-new joystick/gamepad input system. If you use a gamepad that’s not a 360 controller, you may have to remap the controls.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubqm4he7ydazum6/OverloadPlayableTeaserBuild4.zip?dl=0

There aren’t a lot of major changes, though Challenge mode has been tweaked a bit (debris doesn’t last forever, and you can get up to 7 bots after 100 kills).

Please only download if you have joystick issues. We’ll make this publicly available later after more testing.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 118

The program from your first link worked correctly. My joystick is a SW 3D Pro on Grendel’s Gameport -> USB adapter.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer

I will test this out when I get home tonight with my 3d pro

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

First time testing the joystick but everything working with logitech extreme 3d pro, including mini thumb stick (hat stick i think you called it)

I will also test it on a thrustmaster joystick..

Both have been lent to me by a friend so I am not an expert on how it should work re: sensitivity etc as I usually use mouse.

(using build 4)

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer

Thrustmaster (not sure of model, T.16000M perhaps) also works, thumb stick (hat?) working, twist control working and all assignable.

Only one thing that seemed odd, I mapped JO Button 7 to “move back” and when pressed, the menu appears.

Not sure if any of that helps, as I say, not a joystick guy normally.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team

Doh, button 7 is mapped to pause by default (and can’t change it). Will make that remappable eventually. Sorry!

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer

Not a problem! I also plugged both joysticks in and they register as J0 and J1
    The joystick people will be very pleased, I’m going to have to try it and hopefully see why people like to play with joysticks 🙂

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer

3D Pro with Gameport to USB converter WORKS!!!!

Thank you Luke.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: The sound the Blades makes is stuck in my head! Next Topic: I noticed the ship bobbing, and I love it!