The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Playable Teaser March 2016 Bug Reports and Questions HELP NEEDED: Test the new joystick input system

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

I think the mouse is too fast vs the joystick being too slow. I think I recall Luke mentioning that the mouse speed will be adjusted. I don’t remember if that was the live stream or somewhere on the forum. It is a known issue though and I remember them saying that it will be equalized from what I read.

Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 23

I think the mouse is too fast vs the joystick being too slow. I think I recall Luke mentioning that the mouse speed will be adjusted. I don’t remember if that was the live stream or somewhere on the forum. It is a known issue though and I remember them saying that it will be equalized from what I read.

I would be fine with this as long as it is made so that regardless of what your input is, you wouldn’t feel handicapped if you prefer to use one from another, that is things work the same way for all inputs… Well strictly sticking with keyboard, I think you can’t never get the precision that joystick or mouse offer.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Oh god I hope that the mouse speed and feel won’t be adjusted. I feel that it’s perfect as-is.

Prepare for Overload…

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

If you want an FPS game there are other games like that ;).

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

If you want an FPS game there are other games like that ;).

Are you talking to me or to Pilot?

Prepare for Overload…

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

You :). I was just joking though. I don’t have experience using mouse so I don’t have any opinions on that. I always use joystick.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

You :). I was just joking though. I don’t have experience using mouse so I don’t have any opinions on that. I always use joystick.

Ok, well I am serious. As of right now, the mouse input is absolutely perfect and I am just trying to go on record here and voice my opinion in hopes that Revival Productions considers keeping it the way it is now. I haven’t felt or seen any reason to change anything for the mouse input. I’ve been playing Descent with a keyboard and mouse using the exact same configuration for about 20 years, so I think I would know.

Prepare for Overload…

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

I believe that in D1/D2 all rotational controls were limited to around 120 degrees/second. In the teaser it appears that keyboard/joystick is limited to around 180 degrees/second while the 2Dmouse is 360+ deg/sec. How do you control roll with a 2DMouse, or do you? I suppose you don’t actually need to control roll if you really don’t mind finding yourself in bizarre orientations quite frequently, unless you wait for auto level.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I believe that in D1/D2 all rotational controls were limited to around 120 degrees/second. In the teaser it appears that keyboard/joystick is limited to around 180 degrees/second while the 2Dmouse is 360+ deg/sec. How do you control roll with a 2DMouse, or do you? I suppose you don’t actually need to control roll if you really don’t mind finding yourself in bizarre orientations quite frequently, unless you wait for auto level.

That’s easy: you assign keys on your keyboard for “TURN ROLL LEFT’ and ‘TURN ROLL RIGHT’, or you can use “ROLL90 LEFT’ and ‘ROLL90 RIGHT’. Also, Auto-Leveling in Overload is EXCELLENT; I have Auto-Leveling set to ‘Strong’, and so I have keys on my keyboard assigned for ‘ROLL90 LEFT’ and ‘ROLL90 RIGHT’. After discovering how awesome this is, I refuse to have it any other way.

Before I discovered how awesome Auto-Leveling is in Overload, I had it disabled; I was avoiding it because I was assuming that it would be no different than Auto-Leveling in the original Descent. I was dead wrong; it’s far better. It’s so much better that I actually prefer it to be on and as strong as possible. In the original Descent, Auto-Leveling is extremely annoying.

Auto-Leveling in Overload actually works to my advantage 100% of the time, and it’s extremely easy to work with and use effectively. It’s much easier than constantly tapping two different keys just to constantly make tiny adjustments to my roll orientation. In the original Descent, this is desired, but not in Overload – not with how much better it is. They finally perfected it! Playing Overload with the mouse and keyboard is nothing but a pleasure and I feel like I have absolutely complete control at all times.

I was able to get 862 kills on Easy in Foundry, and as much as 155 kills on Normal in Foundry. That’s how good of a job Revival Productions has done on this game so far. I wouldn’t have been able to get that many kills otherwise. I never struggle with controlling the ship in Overload. Ever. I am always able to give my undivided attention to just playing the game.

Prepare for Overload…

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer

Testing out the auto-leveling in Overload a bit I’ve noticed that it basically rolls you into the nearest cardinal roll direction. Doesn’t do a thing to your pitch.

When you face north with pitch +45 deg up then yaw right you end up yawing with 0 pitch all the way around with auto leveling on, which is weird and seems problematic when trying to aim.

What should be happening is (which does happen with auto leveling off):
    -facing north +45 pitch
    -facing east 0 deg pitch
    -facing south -45 deg pitch
    -facing west 0 deg pitch
    (then repeats)

I don’t think I could get used to any type of auto leveling.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Testing out the auto-leveling in Overload a bit I’ve noticed that it basically rolls you into the nearest cardinal roll direction. Doesn’t do a thing to your pitch.

When you face north with pitch +45 deg up then yaw right you end up yawing with 0 pitch all the way around with auto leveling on, which is weird and seems problematic when trying to aim.

What should be happening is (which does happen with auto leveling off):
    -facing north +45 pitch
    -facing east 0 deg pitch
    -facing south -45 deg pitch
    -facing west 0 deg pitch
    (then repeats)

I don’t think I could get used to any type of auto leveling.

Ok, to each their own, but I don’t have any problems with Auto-Leveling in Overload whatsoever. I play better in Overload with Auto-Leveling on and set to ‘Strong’ than I do with it completely off.

In Descent, I hate Auto-Leveling almost as much as I hate the thief bot.

Perhaps Overload’s Auto-Leveling is not so great with a joystick. I don’t know. Like I said, I’m using a mouse and keyboard.

By the way, it’s not supposed to mess with Pitch at all. It has never messed with Pitch. If it did, then it would be the worst thing ever.

Prepare for Overload…

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

Well i guess i was only partially joking. I think having the rotation rate 3 times faster than D1 and D2 is way to much. That would make the game easier on single player and to a much bigger effect in multiplayer. I think the rotation rate was very good on d1 and d2 which made a cost to getting your back turned toward your opponent or you are at a big disadvantage. If you can just swing around very quickly the game will turn into a much different feel compared to d1 and d2. It will certainly make the game easier but i dont think we need to make it easier. This is especially true in multiplayer.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Well i guess i was only partially joking. I think having the rotaion rate 3 times faster than D1 and D2 is way to much. That would make the game easier on single player and to a much bigger effect in multiplayer. I think the rotation rate was very good on d1 and d2 which made a cost to getting your back turned toward your opponent or you are at a big disadvantage. If you can just swing around very quickly the game will turn into a much different feel to the descent series. It will certainly make the game easier but i dont think we need to make it easier. This is especially true in multiplayer.

Yeah, Luke said he’ll work on it for MP, but for now, this is first and foremost a single-player game. He wants this game to feel great, especially since this game will have a huge amount of newcomers who are used to ground-pounders where you can whip your player’s head and body around as fast as you want. The same thing is already happening to Descent Underground: people are are complaining because they can’t whip their ship around as fast as they want; they forget they’re in a heavy ship.

Prepare for Overload…

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer

Not only are they used to basically infinite rotation speed, but also with 2DOF rotations that move their guns along lines of latitude or longitude relative to an up reference vector. It would be interesting to have such 2DOF rotations in this game, with the ability to adjust which way the up reference vector points on the fly, such as press a key at any time to make your reference up vector the same as the ship’s current up vector. When you face directly up or down relative to the reference up vector yaw essentially become roll so that would be a good time to change the reference up vector.

yencil
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 32

Deadzone none would be a nice option to have, some controllers have a built in deadzone and even slightly more isn’t necessary.

Oh man, I’d like to second this! I got a new joystick just for this game – the Cobra Defender M5. It’s similar to the T16000M for accuracy, and has no need of an increased deadzone. Right now everything else works perfectly, but even with the smallest Deadzone I can move the stick quite a ways before I get a response in this game (unlike other games I’ve tested) which obviously makes controlling it a bit more difficult!

Fantastic work on the rest ^_^

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: The sound the Blades makes is stuck in my head! Next Topic: I noticed the ship bobbing, and I love it!