The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Playable Teaser March 2016 Bug Reports and Questions HELP NEEDED: Test the new joystick input system

RSS Feed
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 118

I think I’ve missed something. Currently, the mouse max. rotational velocity is faster than joystick. Is it being said that it should stay this way, or that mouse input shouldn’t be changed, and joystick input improved?

people are are complaining because they can’t whip their ship around as fast as they want; they forget they’re in a heavy ship.

I think this is what lead to mouselook being disabled on 99% of servers in D3, as it broke physics and gave mouse players an unfair advantage.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I think I’ve missed something. Currently, the mouse max. rotational velocity is faster than joystick. Is it being said that it should stay this way, or that mouse input shouldn’t be changed, and joystick input improved?

people are are complaining because they can’t whip their ship around as fast as they want; they forget they’re in a heavy ship.

I think this is what lead to mouselook being disabled on 99% of servers in D3, as it broke physics and gave mouse players an unfair advantage.

I’m saying that the joystick system in Overload should be improved and the mouse system should stay the same.

Prepare for Overload…

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

And I am saying the opposite if we are keeping score ;).

Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 23

I have to say that I agree with StatiC, since currently the maximum rotation speed feels more natural on joystick. In my opinion it should actually feel like you’re piloting a big ship rather than playing Counter-Strike. So I guess if I got to choose I would tone down mouse rotation speed and add that setting I mentioned earlier to affect the maximum rotation speed to equalize both input systems so that neither would get unfair advantage over another.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Luke stated quite clearly in the 24-hour live stream that the way the mouse feels is the way he wanted it to be. It’s intentional, and I think he nailed it.

Prepare for Overload…

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

I thought i read or heard the opposite. I thought he was mentioning mouse and then saying he knew it had to be tweaked. Strange. I wll have to look for it.

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

I found it…

I’ve heard others complaining the ship turns too fast (with a joystick). Are you talking about maximum turning speed, or in the low/mid-range? How is the turning speed for your joystick compared to keyboard turning?

With the mouse you could probably turn more than twice as fast as a joystick. This will be fixed eventually, but not for the teaser.

I guess this is open to interpretation though after reading it again. I took it to mean the mouse speed will be reduced since the subject was about the mouse and mouse is much faster than d1 and d2 right now and the sentence above it mentioned joystick being too fast. We will find out eventually I guess. The joystick rotation rate feels good as it is though. I am still sure he will not let us down and equalize it so that mouse and joystick controls work well and feel good.

I guess the problem releasing a playable teaser very early alpha stage is that things like this will need to get equalized but if people play the heck out of the teaser and get used to rotation rates… changes could cause some complaints. The maximum rotation rate between all controllers has to be equalized though so it will be very interesting to see which control schemes get rotation rate changes (maybe both?).

If there was ever a need for an update to the teaser hopefully that could be the change so that people get used to the rotation rates he invisions for the final release. That is… Assuming Revival has that down now which might be the wrong assumption I guess.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

You’re making me remember now that I think he may have said that he wouldn’t change the way the mouse feels for the Teaser because he wanted it to be exactly the way it is for newcomers. As you pointed out though, people will get used to the way it is and reject any big changes made to it, especially if he makes the ship feel noticeably heavier and harder to Yaw and Pitch and Roll.

Take me for example, I freakin’ LOVE the way the mouse feels in the game. I feel like I’m in absolutely COMPLETE control. It’s like the original Descent, but much smoother and cleaner.

Prepare for Overload…

SigmaSigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

TwoCables, you are right, it is very clearly seen in multiplayer, who manages the ship on the joystick, who the mouse, and who only on the keyboard. And of course, every controller has its own advantages and disadvantages over the other. Here everyone chooses what is more convenient for him.

Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 23

Has there been anything done for the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and specifically mapping the buttons on the hat?

I’m at least still having issues with with the diagonals, I wonder if this is the right word, but I would like to use the hat for moving up,down,left and right. Also to diagonals directions. This doesn’t really work though since the hat buttons 13, 15, 17, and 19 are dead and movement stops when trying to move on those directions.

I guess I can reply to my own post, that I got this working through Logitech Profiler using ‘commands’ assigned to the 13,15,17 and 19 buttons. Hopefully this will continue to work this way.

Now that hat started working finally got to three digit numbers on hard difficulty in foundry by a score of 102. Wuhuu 🙂

vputz
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Gents and Ladies:

Some issues with the Spaceorb360 and Orbotron 9000 (defense: I’m the creator of the “Orbotron 9000”, a Serial-Spaceorb-to-USB converter for the Spaceorb360, Spaceball4000FLX, Spaceball5000, and Magellan SpaceMouse).

First, good: all axes and buttons detect correctly in the current downloadable “Playable Teaser”. But in the first room (6DOF practice), two issues cropped up.

1. No axis movement at all (not sure if rotation was disabled for the first room or something) despite all rotation axes being correctly detected/mapped in controls setup.

2. Only able to move right, down, and back 😀 I think this is because my HID report has a min and max value of 0-1023 for each axis, and so the axis values are never negative. If I have time, I may change the HID report and see if that fixes the problem, but you may want to check your joystick code and make sure it works with any min/max value for axes… probably most are symmetric about 0 but the HID standard supports all sorts…

(and not to stoke competitive fires, but this worked well with Sublevel 0 and Retrovirus, as well as D2X-XL and Rebirth, if I recall correctly… edit: and just tested it with NeonXSZ and “Descent: Underground”–sorry–but it worked fine with both of those too).

REALLY looking forward to Overload and I’d love to play it with my SpaceOrb again–hopefully something will work!

–>VPutz

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Does Overload poll USB HID or RawInput directly, or rather through APIs like DirectInput and Xinput?

Windows versions of Quake 1&2 used the old DX3 interface, so does DXX Rebirth as it uses SDL version 1.2 instead of the newer 2.0 version. Forsaken and Talon use the DX5+ interface, and probably most other games made in this century as well. I’m wondering what the Orbotron 9000 driver uses.

Some software does read straight from RawInput or USB HID and thus don’t require drivers to transfrom from raw to APIs, such as Wings of Prey. The Chrome browser does as well, making the data accessible to JavaScript via GamePad API. The usage and logical min/max of USB HID always confused me though. I think one is the max it can go, while the other is the threshold that is considered max input even though you can push it farther.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: The sound the Blades makes is stuck in my head! Next Topic: I noticed the ship bobbing, and I love it!