The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  stratvox 24 Mar 2018 @ 5:21pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

stratvox
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 3

I just found out that this existed. I bought into the D:U EA but have only played it for a couple of hours total, which were entirely spent trying to get my joystick to work under linux. When I found out about this, I figured I’d take one more shot at it… and I did get it to work in a manner of speaking (at least I could get the game to respond to the movements) but overall I found that it, well, it felt really wrong. So then I downloaded the demo, and got myself going in very short order. While my Pyro skills have significantly atrophied in the twenty years since I played Descent regularly, I’ve already got a lot of them back, and this game feels very very right indeed.

For reference, my kali serial was below 500 🙂

I was reading another thread about the take-up on this by the Descent community vs. D:U. I feel that it’s pretty much a case of folks getting into the first one that came along… but I also think (based on my admittedly limited playtime) that this one is the one that’s going to take the brass ring, as it were. I was addicted to Descent back in the day. I stopped playing it after D2 as I was getting into alternative platforms in those days… in many ways OS/2 + Kali was the ultimate D2/D2 platform at the time, but there was absolutely no way to get D3 to run on it in any way. Nowadays I’m a bearded unix guy (in my day job I run Very Large Internet Server Systems) so I’m very pleased to see that this is supporting Linux and that the support is being done properly.

I’m gonna have to put a lot more time in SP (really, how badly my skills have gone downhill in the last couple of decades is … troubling 😉 ) but I’m looking forward to meeting some of you folks in the MP arenas.

Oh, and please please please include letting people fire up games on SP levels with robo-anarchy… that was the best. Among other things, the larger levels allow people to use stealth as a technique while the MP levels tend to be more straight up who’s got the good gun at the time of a particular encounter. I understand that will not be in the cards on initial release, but… it would be awesome to have it come on in an update down the line.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Welcome, what was your Kali name if it was different from this one?

stratvox
    Participant

Seems like I missed this reply somehow… you know, I’m not sure. That was a long time ago ;). Might’ve been Ma Bell, but I can’t be certain that’s the case… I was in my early twenties, playing in rock bands, and doing all the things that went with playing in rock bands in the mid-nineties IYKWIMAITYD.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

My kali serial was 180403. I was in the Descent server from 97 to about 2005ish. I went by ..Merlin to using Kali icons for my name.

D2Disciple
    D2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

I was always an SP guy myself… Especially since D1 came out when I was 5, haha. Been playing ever since I could get my grubby little Kindergartner hands around a joystick, though, so I got into MP more around the time of D3.

Although I must ask… What kind of Strat, and what kind of Vox? Fellow guitarist here. Just recently got a Gibson SG, and one of those new Boss Katana amplifiers, and it’s a great combination, especially since I play at a local church (need consistency of tone over a wide range of volumes). I’ve been jonesing for one of those new AC10’s they released a year or two ago, though… Maybe I’ll finally pull the trigger one day.

stratvox
    Participant

D2Disciple: Haha, you understood my nym! My strat is a ’79 hardtail with a cream body, black pickguard, and maple neck… and yes, it’s one of the infamous three bolt necks. I’ve modified it extensively over the years (I bought it when it was five in the summer of 1984); it’s on its third set of frets, and I replaced the strat standard frets with jumbos. I’ve also replaced all the pickups (the original pickups went microphonic in the mid-nineties and were basically toast) with a couple of Seymour Duncan vintage rails in the neck and middle position and a Dimarzio hotrail humbucker in the bridge position. Even before I replaced the pickups I’d rewired the switch to have the bridge pickup in the middle position, allowing for neck, neck-bridge, bridge, bridge-middle, and middle pickup selections. When I put the new pickups in the only variation I did was to set it up so that when in the middle switch position I had the dimarzio at full humbucker, and when in the two shared positions to each side of it the seymour duncans were mating up with one side of the humbucker… did that one with some help from my local awesome guitar tech guy John Gamache.

The vox is the AC15H1TV, the 50th Anniversary special amp: http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac15h1tv.html

I absolutely love this amp. Getting it turns out to be an amusing story. I’d looked at it in one of the local stores, but was held back by the price tag; I’m in Canada and it was retailing for $2200 CDN. I got invited to come down for a sit-in in one of the local establishments by one of the local bands, and was told they’d have an amp for me. Needless to say when I got down there… they didn’t. I was definitely too far away from home to go back and grab my Marshall, so I went in to the store right around the corner to rent one for the night. I got a price (20$) and asked which ones were available… Rob, one of the owners, said “hey, take any one… why don’t you take that one right there?” pointing at the Vox. I basically said “really?” as I figured I’d be getting tube amps in the 800 buck range for that rental price, then thought “hell with it, why not? what could possibly go wrong?”

Well, that amp’s a classic class A, so it took me a wee bit to understand how to set it up, but once I did… wow. It sounds amazing. So I finish the gig, take it home, and the next day head downtown to figure out how to lay my hands on it. I walk in to the store, and Rob’s at the desk, and he says…. “Jaaaack…. I can’t help but notice that you don’t have my amp with you”. I basically admitted defeat at that point, but managed to get myself into making a down payment and monthly payments over the following seven months to be able to keep the amp. Next to my X32-Rack, it’s the piece of kit that paid for itself the fastest, as its great great tone led to a noticeable uptick in the guitar gigs I was getting.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Feedback German Translation (EA 0.9) Next Topic: The games that have been eating my time lately