Home Forums Overload Level Editor and Community Created Levels How difficult is it to port a D1 map to Overload?

RSS Feed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Terminal Terminal 14 Mar 2019 @ 4:38am.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LiveNuke
    LiveNuke
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 6

I’ve always wanted to give a try at creating a map, specifically Total Chaos Level 1. It was included on the Mac release of D1. I know it’s highly dependant on many factors, but in general how can someone familiar with Adobe and C4D/Maya get a map up and running in Overload’s level editor?

Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

The good news is that Sirius has created a tool in DLE (Descent Level Editor) that converts D1/2 levels to overload format so that you can open them in the Overload editor. It has some limitations but it’s a place to start.
    I believe DLE is available here: http://www.descent2.de/

I don’t know much about it personally but the best place to learn more is the Overload Discord server. That is where the community is now active and there are a lot of talented mappers there.

Best of luck!

Terminal
    Terminal
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 18

Getting the map functional is simple. Converting the geometry takes 5 minutes using DLE’s conversion tool. Don’t forget to delete the exit tunnel. Adding the player spawns, weapon spawns, and lights is another 30 minutes. Decorating the map will take from a few hours to a week depending on how nice you want it to look.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: Xbox one release this Wednesday? Next Topic: Hotas One on Xbox supported?