The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Interplay selling off IP portfolio-opportunity to reclaim Freespace/Descent name

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    papersailboatpapersailboat
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 70

This could be an interesting development – I hope the portfolio ends up in the right hands. And I hope it’s damn cheap too.

Article: Interplay Announces Sale of Significant IP Portfolio, Wedbush Securities as Strategic Advisor

Marc Hanson
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3
    PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 63

I wonder how much they’re asking for the Pyro-GX?

Addendum: D’OH! I forgot, they don’t own the Pyro.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

SigmaSigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

Because they were idiots, and have remained 🙂 Instead cooperate with the community, they decided to just make a buck, and nothing succeeded )))) Now they are trying so.

kudos2n
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

When it comes to potential new games, with Overload in development and looking real nice, I almost feel like I’m not as concerned about the Descent IP anymore – though it would be awesome to see it back in the hands of its rightful owners.

FREESPACE, on the other hand…

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

I came here to post this too. Imagine the possibilities…

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

If they could get both Descent and Freespace back? Since Overload is being made then Descent could be put away. But we need another Freespace.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I don’t expect Revival Productions to purchase either of these IPs because I personally doubt they have enough money. If they have enough money for one or the other though, then I want them to purchase the FreeSpace IP.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

What’s in a name?

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Or in a 17-year-old cliffhanger?
    I don’t actually know what it was, I never managed to finish the game. 😛 But I know there was one.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

IonIon
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 27
    rms
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

This is a pretty big deal. I would hope MKulas is at least investigating the possibility of acquiring, if not Descent itself, for sure the Freespace IP. I recall a lot of speculative/wistful talk during the KS of doing a Freespace game after Overload — well, here is the IP on a platter if the financing can be worked out! Please look into it!!

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

Hi everyone!
    I merged these topics all together about the IP sale. Needless to say, this is a very interesting thread. Can’t say what Mike and Matt are thinking, but know that they have to get more information on the entire situation.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Thanks to all who have pointed this out. Matt and I are aware of Interplay’s intention so sell their intellectual property, including Descent and FreeSpace. We’re interested in how all this sorts out, but can’t say much more at this time. We do look forward to this possibly freeing up many IPs for development.

— Matt & Mike

SigmaSigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

In case if you still don’t know who they are. They will make every effort to deceive you, or to provoke and then file a lawsuit. They need only money by any means.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Vertical separation Next Topic: Multiplayer Expansion free after release?